• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Suggest Improvements To The Fortean Times

Changed post above. I was wrong.The circulation figures are online at http://www.abc.org.uk/

This summary report refers to the period 01-Jul-2003 to 31-Dec-2003.
This report was approved by the ABC on 12-Feb-2004.

Magazine Classification: General Interest:Sci-Fi
ABC Primary Figure: 26,131
Number of Effective Issues in Period: 6

Total Average Net Circulation Per Issue: 26,131
Newstrade and Other Single Copy Sales: 17,145
At Basic Cover Price: 17,145

Single Copy Subscription Sales: 8,986
At Basic Annual Rate: 4,180

etc
You have to be a subscriber to view the historic data.

By way of a comparison for the same period -

Jack - Total Average Net Circulation Per Issue: 39,052
Focus - Total Average Net Circulation Per Issue: 51,010
Private Eye - Total Average Net Circulation Per Issue: 205,250

alb said:
Total Average Net Circulation Per Issue: 26,131

By way of a comparison for the same period -

Jack - Total Average Net Circulation Per Issue: 39,052
Focus - Total Average Net Circulation Per Issue: 51,010
Private Eye - Total Average Net Circulation Per Issue: 205,250

Yes I had a look through some older numbers online for any other magaizne with a similar circulation I think the closest was "Shoot" and "Metal Hammer" on 30k, "Golf International", "Rock Sound" and "Here's Health" on 20k and "DJ Magazine" and "Hot Dog" at 15k.

So it does seem low which is a great pity esp. as it has to be the leading magazine in its field. Breaking the American market is important for sheer numbers but I suspect so is getting it on the shelves (I can, for example, buy Jack in Asda if I so wanted but not FT).

Emps

Is it profitable to produce a magazine with such low circulation?

alb said:
If it is, would that disappoint some, one wonders?

Disarming "confused" icon goes here: :confused:

alb said:

Apparently so although in my more evangelic mode I do think its a shame more people don't get to share in the goodness ;)

Emps

If it is, would that disappoint some, one wonders?
Not in my world.

I want the magazine to succeed by being consistently very well written. And looking good. And no adverts for rubbish which make the articles look stupid.

Charge what it costs and publish when all of the articles are of an equally high standard. No more lists.

If the FT isn't excellent every issue then there isn't much point in doing it. Why publish if the magazine isn't ready? It shouldn't be a business. If you want to run it as a business then you might as well have sexy cover girls (with pointy elf ears to attract the middle earth 6th form readership).

You might as well sell units of Weetabix or soap. It might be economic - but it's dull.

The magazine just isn't sharp at the moment. And it lacks direction.

I'm not particularly looking back to a golden age. It's more that I don't think that the magazine has evolved. It doesn't seem serious. And it isn't well written. The title is being wasted.

But I'm not going to argue for ever. I think that FT should be re launched and published less often. It should charge more and rid itself of the cheap advertising. It should be a smaller format but thicker. With much tighter articles published according to agreed formats. It should be pitched at an older readership and sold in bookshops.

PS - I don't think that the video games and herbal highs version of FT is sustainable anyway. It's a big mistake to chase that obviously diminishing market. Fashions have already changed. The people they're aiming it at aren't hip anymore.

alb:
Although some of your points have some merit, I think you're being a bit crotchety and unreasonable. There are just some natural consequences of the choices to : A) produce a magazine, B) make a profit, C) on a regular schedule, and D) grow readership.

The second thing that drew me to FT, after the subject material was the quality and intelligence of the production. So that is not something that should be shed lightly in the pursuit of a mass market.

But you seem opposed to making any of the inevitable adjustments to the format. You claim that you value quality over frequency or price. Maybe the irregular Fortean Studies volumes (that is the correct title, right?) can stay more true to those ideals. (I've regrettably never shelled out the $$$ for any of those, so I can't truly judge. And BTW, why can't I buy them on the webisite?)

For myself, I have been able to ignore the factors in the current incarnation that don't interest me. (The new-agey schlock ads, heck ads in general, contests, an video game reviews.) Although, now that you point it out, there are some instances of weak articles that seemed to have slipped through in order to round out the theme of an issue.

My view is that the editors have broadened their net, and hence introduced more variablity into the mix. I say don't give up in disgust, but prod them in the right direction when the mag doesn't live up to its potential. (And I'm sure any constructive suggestions would be a big help.)

Fortean times's readership is quite a broad church ranging from new age acupuncture and crystal healing therapy exponants to sceptics who just read it to laugh at new age acupuncture and crystal healing therapy exponants. FT dosen't nessersarally aim it self at people who like video games and hydrophonics, that's just where the adverts come from.

Although the video games market in the UK is far from unfasionable (it's the 3rd largest in the world and well ahead of all makets but japan and the usa's) but people don't buy a magazine because it's got adverts for products they like in it. I used to buy FHM up until a few years back but I payed no attention to the adverts for aftershave or clothing for example ;)

sorry alb (please note:- this isnt a attack on his person or good name)

if you feel unhappy (in your opinian) with the ft is going the wrong way.

ask the management for a unpiad job dealing with the content and marketing/ads aspects of the mag (unpaid and just to cover for the people (when on hols etc) dealing with above bits)

i await your reply :)

[edit]i know:- how bout a crossword (cryptic?)/word search, etc?once every six months with a prize being:- helping to edit a issue of the mag [edit]

oh well mr. alb! hasnt (yet!) answered or cant be bothered to reply to my post, (maybe hes to to busy for some reason or another) :rolleyes: :D

Good Value

Although we may have gripes about little nooks and crannies within FT, and are pleased to have the opportunity, via this excellent message board, to air our opinions, I'm sure we all agree that FT is a unique and wonderful publication.

More power to the elbows of the team who provide us with such fascinating material to read and debate upon.

May Fortean Towers never crumble!

I've bought every issue since No. 60, when it was every two months, some of the layout has got a bit "trendy", but then I'm a boring old f**t these days, but I still think it looked better with the white border and gothic script on the front

Originally posted by David Sutton:
Oh, before I leave - on the subject of book reviews. It's not finding reviewers that's the problem, but fitting the reviews into the limited space we have at present. Too many books, not enough time... or space.

Don't let this put you off sending in reviews - it was something I was planning to suggest. Anyone who reads (or sees, or listens to, or plays) something and wants to review it for us - go ahead, and I'll be very pleased. Some books we don't even get to see, some we forget, some vanish - so help is always welcome. Anyone with particular interests, expertise or unparalleled insight could then become regular reviewers, recieve free books and so on. Email me your reviews! Do it! And we'll see what happens....

On the subject of book reviews, I bought a copy of Amok Dispatch last year and it kept me reading for months on and off as it is big book of mini book reviews grouped by genre. I know FT has a huge source of much more detailed book reviews from past issues (plus unpublished material it seems) so why not consider an occasional feature of "best if the book world" (or film / game / mags / web etc) where books of a genre are discussed with a brief overview plus a reference to the issue with the full review. It would give a good primer for people wanting to look in more depth at the subject covered plus will give the Fortean Bookshop a chance to promote some titles and make a little more cash.

Another option is to arrange reviews of say "top 100 Fortean Films" which can be split over 10 issues. We can arrange to compile the list on the discussion board and for people to submit reviews. At the end you can even build a small book out of it and market it. This would be good for you to arrange with the sponsorship of a DVD/Video retailer.

I would also be in favour of a compendium of all book reviews, whether in print or perhaps as a PDF file which can be sold via the same Bookshop.

The re-emergence of the Fortean Studies and other compilation books would be a good thing in my view as it is a bit unwieldy to trawl through back issues of FT for information. As a way of publishing large articles it is second to none.

I like the magazine the way it is. The evolving nature of its layout stops me getting too stuck in my ways of how I like to have information presented to me, and I'm pleased to say I have rarely found the presentation unpleasant.

thanks

Iain

sorry alb (please note:- this isnt a attack on his person or good name)

if you feel unhappy (in your opinian) with the ft is going the wrong way.

ask the management for a unpiad job dealing with the content and marketing/ads aspects of the mag (unpaid and just to cover for the people (when on hols etc) dealing with above bits)

i await your reply
I'm very happy to work unpaid for FT. Just as soon as everybody else does too. A splendid idea.

If they dropped print and made it online only (which it will be ultimately) then it would be much quicker the community moderated project which it should now already be. I'm confident that this is how it will end up anyhow. After the print version of the magazine folds - which is inevitable IMO.

The website is the future of the magazine. The folks in charge just don't get that yet. And just because some of the people who founded the mag are still around - it would be wrong to assume that they are still right.

Reading UncleBulgaria's post makes me wonder if we couldn't have original content on the FT site - initially in the shape of more reviews. I suspect the mag gets more things for review than it can fill the pages with and/or people could submit their reviews to books not covered in the mag. Especially in this day and age (with eBay and online used book stores) we are running into more good odler books which we are unsure about and having a good range of reviews might cover some gaps. I always enjoyed the reviews of older books they featured for a while in the mag and it would be along those lines (if the mag wnated they could pick some good ones and include them). It might also offer the opportunity for multiple reviews of the same book too giving a diversity of opinion. It would also draw more people from the mag to the site (as I'm sure IHTM has done).

alb: Yes it will probably happen - although there are commercial models which means it could still be run by a paid staff. I also think an answer to a number of problems would be solved by haivng a hybrid model with subscriptions to an online version (as I've mentioned elsewhere).

Emps

alb said:
If they dropped print and made it online only (which it will be ultimately) then it would be much quicker the community moderated project which it should now already be. I'm confident that this is how it will end up anyhow. After the print version of the magazine folds - which is inevitable IMO.

The website is the future of the magazine. The folks in charge just don't get that yet. And just because some of the people who founded the mag are still around - it would be wrong to assume that they are still right.

I strongly disagree.

A subscription-based on-line magazine might compliment the existing paper-based issue, but will not, and should not, replace it.

FT might become a "community-moderated project", but only for the on-line community, thus immediately disenfranchising those who do not have Internet access, and excluding valuable input from a large sector of the community.

IMHO the advantages of on-line archival searching do not outweigh the pleasures of perusing a printed publication.

Let's not pretend that we do not get a little "frisson" of excitement when we open each new edition of Fortean Times that we purchase.

Hi

Hi, I don't know about you guys, but really love the SPOOKY stuff, be it hauntings, vampires and things like that. Ther eisn't really much of it in FT. Can't find anything like that in the UK...

I'd prefer more of that rather than the quirky tales. Anyway, thats my preference, still, a great mag!

==================

If fortean times went out of print and be only web based I'd be mortified. I thought the great thing about FT is that it is a paranormal magazine, of few in the UK! There are millions of sites out there already...

Hello all, I agree with phitran that there are plenty of web based resources (of varying quality) which would make an article based FT website difficult to operate as a separate business.

The biggest advantage FT has IMHO is that it has a huge resource in its article and review archives for feed the hungry viewers. I think it best to leave the guys at FT towers to get on with producing more of the same while we consider ways to get the same material out to a much wider audience to see if we can persuade them to subscribe.

How do we get the wider public interested? I would think that some areas of interest to the general public could be made into a short TV series with the assistance of a bigger producer. Come up with an idea for the series that mixed the more sensationalist aspect of the subject matter then pull it apart with Fortean logic and investigation, leaving enough loose ends to keep the believers happy.

Something like - Urban Legends. Have actors ham up a scene of some ULs that catch the public eye then bring in the investigator to sift through the "facts" and show what the situation really is. Throw in a few fortean staples of falls of fish to keep the public on their toes and you could have it either as a semi-serious expose of ULs or a Banzai type bet on the outcome gameshow. Either way it promotes the theme and some well placed ads might get the public interested.

I think the ghost investigation side is already done (no comment as to the quality of it though ;) ) so stick to things that are eyecatching and fairly uncommon.

How about advertising FT in other scientific mags (New Scientist etc). I appreciate this costs but it is a way to bring in some minds which may well be interested in a similar subject matter.

Last but not least I think we need to use the user base of the mag and the forum here to give gift subscriptions more - how better to convert similar thinking minds than to give them access to FT without the cost. Once they have read it for a while they will be hooked.

OK so I have digressed from "improve the mag" to "increase the circulation" so I'll stop now.

thanks

Iain

I thought there WAS a Fortean Times TV a long time ago? Or am I just going mad? Prehaps its time for a repeat.

There's already a series on Sky about Urban Legends, you got there too late UncleBulgaria

daftbugger said:
I thought there WAS a Fortean Times TV a long time ago? Or am I just going mad? Prehaps its time for a repeat.

There's already a series on Sky about Urban Legends, you got there too late UncleBulgaria

I remember a program about a vicar on a motorbike doing Fortean TV, but I thought a bit of improved production could have made it more appealing.

As for the programs on Sky, I'm stuck with Brazilian TV which is a mix of nasty American reruns and home made game shows / variety shows which have lots of scantily clad ladies shaking their bums in the most indecent way. They describe it as dancing but I'm not so sure...

I guess finding an opening for a Fortean program with wide market appeal has been hampered by the long life of the X-Files which has bored people to death of the paranormal and made UFO/Alien belief almost unfashionable. Perhaps a series on biological anomolies would have more shock value and stir up some controversy - surely a prerequisite to getting many youngsters interested.

One other thing that could work is a short series of holiday reports on destinations of Fortean interest such as those shown in the Fortean Traveller section of the mag. There is not a lot to make this run for long but it might catch some attention.

thanks

Iain

The vicar was Lionel Fanthorpe. I think he produces his own magazine these days.

Fortean TV as it was called was okay but presented as a bit wacky. I'd like to see something in a more serious vent.

Yeh I used to watch it. It came on channel four maybe 6 years ago?

It was very good, but channel four showed it at random times and very very late at night, earlymorning 2am type times.

--

Increasing sales is a big question. I think they could try and target all the New-age people who are into psychic stuff maybe? There has to be a few loads of them

More Fun, More Wit, More Sarcasm. More Spookiness, More Wond

phitran said:

Increasing sales is a big question. I think they could try and target all the New-age people who are into psychic stuff maybe? There has to be a few loads of them
That's an area that's probably fairly well covered by mags like 'Nexus' (un?)fortunately.
Rhys said:
More Heirophant.
It's the first ting i read and always want more.
Now that's a point, 'Heirophant' is an excellent column full of dry humour and sly digs at the loonier fringes of the Fortean Universe.

More wit and sarcasm in the right places and aimed at the right targets, from David Icke and the Aetherians to The Amazing Randi and Professor Dawkins, the FT should be right in the middle, mixing it big time.

As long as the barbs are sharp and accurate, then go for it.

I also agree with philtran,
Originally posted by philtran
Hi, I don't know about you guys, but really love the SPOOKY stuff, be it hauntings, vampires and things like that. Ther eisn't really much of it in FT. Can't find anything like that in the UK...

I'd prefer more of that rather than the quirky tales
people like to be spooked. There are enough 'It Happened To Me' tales, of a genuinely creepy nature, on this Board alone, to keep the FT going for a while.

And, if it can all be explained away by the appliance of science, what of it? It's the atavistic feeling of the hair rising on the back of the neck and the fear of looking over one's shoulder that can't be beat, just in case a "dogheaded man," or a "shadow person" is hiding just out of your line of sight, or in your bathroom... (and it could just be true!).

The FT shouldn't be afraid both to debunk the overhyped and dubious, whilst also enjoying a good yarn for it's own sake, exactly because it contains a real sense of wonder. One that quite reasonably still leaves threads of possibility and uncertainty hanging...

What he said.

Sorry I would add something but I don't have anything to add. Androman said everything I've been trying, and failing, to formulate into a post. Bastard.

Cujo

Yup, now there is a question. Why do we like to be spooked out? Now that I think about it, my actual psychology exam was on this question! eek.

I don't know how FT view their sales, but some people assume it is a problem?

I read earlier it was about 20-30000. That sounds ok to me.

As long as it does't threaten closure or anything...:confused:

Suggestion? Never, ever, ever do a so-called "comedy" piece as a news story again and then claim it's some kind of amazing Alternative 3-style work of hoaxery when in fact it's just a poor piece of fiction wasting four pages.

Evilsprout said:
Suggestion? Never, ever, ever do a so-called "comedy" piece as a news story again and then claim it's some kind of amazing Alternative 3-style work of hoaxery when in fact it's just a poor piece of fiction wasting four pages.

I heartily agree.

Evilsprout said:

(Shame on me) I've only bought one issue this year - what are you referring to specifically?

Want to increase sales?

Do a special issue (like the death issue) excluseively about ghosts Put 'Ghosts' in large print on the cover and perhaps have an interveiw with derick accorah in it to draw in the untapped pile of loonies you always see on most haunted live shows. Do this around halloween and perhaps plug it on richard and judy (they'd want some nice spooky ghost stories around halloween and where better to come than FT, mr Riccard has been on the show a few times before so they'd not be too hard to convince).

perhaps after that FT could have a monthly ghosts columb (why should conspiricy theorists get all the fun ;) )

sit back and watch the sales rize... FT did a good job of being at the right place at the right time when xfiles was envouge, maybe it could do the same thing now moast haunted is popular?

Back