• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Suggestions for new TV series and remakes

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Apart from the dire need of a Sapphire and Steel reboot, I think the Beeb could do a lot worse than redo Quatermass. Obviously Cumberbatch and Redmayne are otherwise engaged but there's definitely a vein here to be reworked with a younger boffin at the helm. A new version of Quatermass and the Pit is surely a winner?

I'd enjoy that.

My first suggestions were "Belle and Sebastian" and "white horses"

I need more coffee.

I've often thought Quatermass was due a redo. He's a great character.

I always enjoyed The Invaders as a kid. I'm surprised we haven't seen that remade, or a continuation of the original series.

I've often thought Quatermass was due a redo. He's a great character.

I always enjoyed The Invaders as a kid. I'm surprised we haven't seen that remade, or a continuation of the original series.

They did redo 'The Qutermas Experiment' recently, Jason Flemyng playing Quatermas. It was live. He also played Jim Corbett in a BBC drama called 'Manhunters', and it was the biggest pile of shite I've seen in a long time. Especially as Corbett's book 'The Man Eating Leopard of Rudraprayag', on which it was based, is the scariest thing I've ever read.

And, they also re-did 'The Invaders' back in the 90's(?) I used to love 'The Invaders', it's on again now on the Horror Channel.

Personally, I think if they re-did 'Quatermas and the Pit' it'd be terrible. They'd stock it with the same cliched additional characters, and the same written by numbers dialogue.

I think the BBC should just give up on dramas.

Personally, I think if they re-did 'Quatermas and the Pit' it'd be terrible. They'd stock it with the same cliched additional characters, and the same written by numbers dialogue.

I think the BBC should just give up on dramas.

Its a chance to update it using modern techniques. It might work better as a film though.

I think if they re did it as 3 or 4 90 min programmes, it might work better then a single film.

also a sapphire and steel remake would be awesomeness on a stick....

edited to add the above

Last edited:
I've been to loads of remakes - but when they are on stage it's accepted. If the story is good then a crud version won't harm it, it adds another layer.

Hector's House. Only this time we get to see all the hot stuff that went on with the dog, the cat and the frog!

And the signs will not be in French! :evil:

The Girl From Tomorrow - great Australian sci-fi programme for the early teens made about twenty/twenty five years ago is due for a remake...

Another vote for Quartermass! How about Tripods?

I was a huge fan of the Tripods trilogy books when I was a kid, the BBC absolutely butchered that one for me! Trying to string out each book for a whole season was murderous.

Definitely S&S needs a reboot..

That I eould have to think about, and I'm hopelessly out of touch with tv and movies these days.

Maybe something will come to me during my afternoon bath.

They did redo 'The Qutermas Experiment' recently, Jason Flemyng playing Quatermas. It was live. He also played Jim Corbett in a BBC drama called 'Manhunters', and it was the biggest pile of shite I've seen in a long time. Especially as Corbett's book 'The Man Eating Leopard of Rudraprayag', on which it was based, is the scariest thing I've ever read.

And, they also re-did 'The Invaders' back in the 90's(?) I used to love 'The Invaders', it's on again now on the Horror Channel.
I heard about that live Quatermass (probably in Fortean Times) and regretted that it passed under my radar at the time. But a live presentation of an old script isn't the same as an updated take on the concept.

I didn't know that they'd taken a second shot at The Invaders.

I'm surprised Sapphire and Steel has so many fans. I watched it recently for the first time since as an adult, and found much of it tedious and needlessly cryptic.

The Tripod books were a great read, and I loved the first series, but the second series was cringe worthy.

I heard about that live Quatermass (probably in Fortean Times) and regretted that it passed under my radar at the time. But a live presentation of an old script isn't the same as an updated take on the concept.

I didn't know that they'd taken a second shot at The Invaders.

Then I suppose that leaves you with the 1979 Quatermass series with John Mills in the title role.

'The (new) Invaders' is on Youtube. I saw it at the time, but only rem,ember that I saw it.

I was a huge fan of the Tripods trilogy books when I was a kid, the BBC absolutely butchered that one for me! Trying to string out each book for a whole season was murderous.

Not only did they butcher it, they didn't finish the whole series. I was very disappointed.

The Tripod books need to be properly adapted, The trilogy made a great impression on me as well.

with regards to S&S, would you go for british main actors, or throw it out to internationals?

FYI, Quatermass and the Pit is on Horror Channel in just a few minutes.

Back