• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Suggestions for new TV series and remakes

with regards to S&S, would you go for british main actors, or throw it out to internationals?

I'd start the series with Lumley and McCallum frozen in time in a service station on an A road everyone has passed without seeing or ever visiting... trapped in time.
After a period of hibernation, S&S work out that their current state is trapped, but future incarnations can act freely with a past and a future uncertain.

They can reside within their prison but advise, while their more adventurous projections operate in our world as avatars.

Actors that I would like to see in a Sapphire and Steel reboot.

Matthew Mcfadyen / Rachel Stirling.
Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 07.10.22.png Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 07.19.37.png
or

Paul Bettany / Valene Kane.
Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 07.12.02.png Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 07.13.54.png
or

Chloe Pirrie / Tom Hughes.
Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 07.26.42.png Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 07.26.00.png
or any combination of the above.

A new set of "Tales of the Unexpected" please and someone (like me) to make a new version of "In the mind of David Berglas".

And regarding BBC drama. NO!!!! They all look like 6th form drama projects with shitty actors and overlit sets. Sherlock is the only one that hasn't fallen for the over use of bright lights in unexpected places but even so, it looks so terribly fake all of the time.

A new set of "Tales of the Unexpected" please

Quite a few of those had already been dramatised for television in the States during the Sixties, long before they came to British screens. For shows like Alfred Hitchcock Presents and the like.
Yes, they would have to be totally new to accommodate modern stuff like mobile phones and computers.

Not only did they butcher it, they didn't finish the whole series. I was very disappointed.

"And such small portions!" The Tripods is supposedly being remade in this mania for YA movies, though as they're not making as much profit anymore it might be in development hell.

Quatermass and the Pit was supposed to be remade as a film in the 90s, script was apparently fantastic and raced through the original in the first act, leaving the world at the mercy of Satanic Martians for the rest of it. Never happened.

I liked the BBC's live Quatermass, but now all I recall is the noise of someone falling over the set with a tremendous crash at the end of one scene. Oh, and they had to mention the Pope had died halfway through.

Oh, and they had to mention the Pope had died halfway through

That sounds a bit unnecessary, and it wasn't in the original version.

I heard somewhere, that their original QatP is regarded by the BBC as being one their finest ever achievements. I must say I loved it, and the later colour version.

As an aside in the TV in the background about six people are throwing paint over each other. Seriously, something must be done.

And regarding BBC drama. NO!!!! They all look like 6th form drama projects with shitty actors and overlit sets.
Totally in agreement. They always hire a lot of really poor actors.

with regards to S&S, would you go for british main actors, or throw it out to internationals?

I'd probably go for British actors. You don't want to get all Dempsey and Makepiece with it.
Given a big budget? Colin Firth and Tilda Swinton.

I've seen a trailer for a thing called Haven. Put me in mind of the excellent comic Strangehaven. A tiny English country village you drive into but for some reason cannot escape.

I've seen a trailer for a thing called Haven. Put me in mind of the excellent comic Strangehaven. A tiny English country village you drive into but for some reason cannot escape.
It's on at 8 pm on Pick channel.

It was a bit crap. Generic US fantasy. And why do all the leads have to be good looking? There's very rarely any plainish or slightly plump but good actors in these US things. Can viewers not stand to watch a series with more regular folks in it?

Not that I've got anything against good looking people. The bastards.

Hector Heathcote!

Q: What is it? Or what was it?
A: An extremely obscure Terrytoons character-series from around 1963 which was used as filler in children's tv on the BBC around two years later.

Q: Why revive it?
A: Because it will be the last thing people expect. Therefore awesome! Johnny Depp can be Hector, because he already has the hat!

Q: You just like shows with Hector in the title don't you?
A: Guilty as charged. :p

Back