• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

summer of 76

grimnebulin

soul of a hippy, mouth of a sailor
I was 10 years old in the summer of 1976. My best friend at the time was the same age and we hung out at her house because she had a shed that had been converted into a den/ play place where we could hide from the grown ups.
My friend had an older sister of eighteen who talked us into doing a séance. I had no idea what a séance was but it sounded very exciting as she explained that I could talk to my Nan who had recently died.
So there were the 3 of us in the shed, the windows covered, sitting around this home-made Ouija board. I can remember the close, stuffy atmosphere in the shed and how it seemed to become more oppressive. First my friends sister contacted her ex teacher who had died after she left school. The board spelled out "Well done Form ivB." We were impressed though I wondered if the sister was pushing the glass.
We then asked for my Nan by her name. The board spelled out "Yes" when we asked if it was her. My friends sister asked "Who do you wish to speak to?" The glass moved to me, then spelled out "Merry Xmas."
I was a bit freaked out. It was just the sort of thing my Nan would have said, but in August? It felt like someone playing a not very nice joke. I began to feel uneasy. an Big sister had us place our fingers on the glass again and asked if there was anyone there.
That instant there was a heavy blow against the side of the shed from outside. It was so violent it made the shed shake and so loud I leapt up screaming. I was hysterical with terror, there was such a horrible atmosphere in the shed. I burst out of the door into the sunny afternoon, I was actually weeping with fear and something I couldn't verbalise.
Big sister tried to calm me down and told me something must have fallen against the side of the shed. The side of the shed where the blow had been struck was close up against the wall of the house. There was no room there for anything or anyone.
It took me a long time to get over my fear The shed never felt "safe" again, there was a creepy atmosphere of being watched. I am still frightened to this day, and writing about it makes me feel s though it only happened yesterday.

apologies for the length, didn't want to leave anything out.

Wooohaaa! I just got the chills reading that! That would spook anyone, never mind 10yr olds. Agree the Xmas message seems like a nasty joke from something not nice *shudders*

Never had much success with the boards myself, there's always been some joker who wouldn't take it seriously. Although there was the cocktail glass and spoon/poltergiest thing once which I think I wrote up here once. Freaky things, Ouija boards.

Thanks for your comment Scribbles. I don't like even thinking about this experience, the fear and the feeling of "wrongness" if that makes sense, still haunts me. I would never do it again, I feel I was being warned off if that doesn't sound too melodramatic.

Scary tale indeed, thanks for posting. You're far from alone in reporting a creepy experience with a ouija board. I think Escargot is right over on the other thread, it does help to post these experiences here - even though there's usually no "answer" to be found, sharing these things in a fairly accepting setting helps to reduce their power somehow.

Thanks for your reply, yes it did help to write it down. It's good to share this with people who understand and don't laugh at me. :D

Have a look at our Ouija threads! You'll be terrified. :shock:

Or rolling around laughing, whatever. :lol:

Well! I have lots to do this afternoon, so what better way to avoid doing it all but to go through the ouija board threads! Then I moved onto BrainJar's online ouija board and have learnt the following:

It is not known why I feel so unsettled of late.
My Spirit guide is called Too Dark and he is 'dear one' or 'one to be feared' depending on which one of two answers you believe.
The poltergeist who follows me around is a stranger.
Egypt will form a democracy in my lifetime.
When I lived before I was "Later"

Funny, all the answers in the universe at my fingertips, yet I can't think of very much to ask.

There was a real craze around here (East Yorkshire) In the mid to late '70s for "The Telling Board". You would find make shift Ouija carved or drawn onto any available surface (The local park was covered).
I only tried it once with a few friends (one of whom was a true believer, convinced he was being haunted due to previous experiments) Bugger all happened!
I was told this was because I was a non believer and therefor a negative influence.
Yeah, right.

hi Rushfan, do you think the craze had anything to do with "The Exorcist" which came out around then?
About a week after my experience my friends sister told us we must never do it again or we could end up possessed! She had just been to see The Exorcist and told us how full the cinema was, with people sitting on the floor in the aisles! :shock:

grimnebulin said:
hi Rushfan, do you think the craze had anything to do with "The Exorcist" which came out around then?
About a week after my experience my friends sister told us we must never do it again or we could end up possessed! She had just been to see The Exorcist and told us how full the cinema was, with people sitting on the floor in the aisles! :shock:
I think it very likely, though, it was the early eighties when my mate persuaded me to have a go. My friends parents had a friend who I found a bit odd, she was into all that séance type of thing and they had experimented with a board with the result that my mate was getting a bit freaked out thinking he was being haunted by an old man. I eventually convinced him it was a load of old donkey and he was fine in the end. I think any kind of messing with Ouija or similar divination equipment has the potential to cause upset in the vulnerable simply because they invest it not so much with belief or disbelief, but with uncertainty.

I think you're right about that, Rushfan. If you're going to do stuff like that you need to be pretty stable I think.

I was quite a sensitive kid and anything the least bit paranormal had an impact on me. I was at school in the early 80s and remember other kids wanting to have a séance under the stage in the hall which was supposed to be haunted.

I said I didn't believe in it and made myself scarce! :oops:

I took part in one last Halloween as part of some Ghost Hunt the wife wanted to go on.

I got told my negative energy was stopping anything from happening because I refused to join in the Ouija.

I explained that if there are 5 of us touching the glass then we are moving it. The "Psychic" came back with the spirits need our energy to move it.

I retorted with...

Well if that's the case they don't need my fingers on the glass, after all they didn't need me touching that wall for it to knock 3 times did they?

Back