• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Surnames

browja

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I know that its a bit early to start talking about Christmas and all, but this article grapped my attention:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4460832.stm

Just thinking how cool would it be to be descended from the original Father Christmas?!
I was also wondering if anyone out knows anyone with the surname "Christmas", because it's quite rare. Also, has anyone alse got any rare or interesting surname's? Just wondering, because it would be qiute interesting.

I believe you can look up names through one of the US gubmint's websites--not sure if it's the census or the Social Security Administration.

Checking the Edinburgh and Lothians phonebook , there is only one Christmas . What I did notice however is a Mr K Kringle - wonder if his first name is Kris ?

names - christmas

There is a type of haemophilia in males due to a lack of cloting factor IX called Christmas disease, apparently named after the first patient in whom the disease was studied. It is inherited as a sex linked disease (ie. the gene is on the X chromosome) so beware of the daughters of father Christmas!

Chris Moiser

One of my ancestors was named Twaddle. Well--more than one, of course.

Rare names have a tendancy to disappear for various reasons. For one thing, the rare names tend to be silly, embarassing or even offensive. Not many Hitlers in New York City nowadays but there were quite a few in 1939.

A fun site if you are interested in names is the US Surname distribution maps at Hamrick software:

http://www.hamrick.com/names/

You can search for a name in several U.S. Census data sets and even watch how the distribution changes over time. Sometimes this will tell you a lot about history, family history, patterns of settlement. If the name is very common, of course, you get a complete wash of every state.

Take for example, the Dorset pioneer, John Gallup. He arrived in the U.S. in 1630 (Massachusetts) and became the ancestor of millions of Americans and Canadians (plus many others), including the founder of the Gallup poll, President George Bush, and the railroad pallroll master after whom Gallop, New Mexico is named. (GWB is my tenth cousin, once removed.)

If you compare the maps with the genealogy websites, you will find that the maps constitute a decent four frame movie of the history and distribution of Gallup descendants, who are everywhere.

The biggest concentration of the US Twaddles were in New Hampshire in 1880. This makes sense--New Hampshire is notoriously eccentric and tolerant--and the original Twaddle pioneers probably came into the continent via Boston or New York.

McCoy is a famous Appalachian name--the first map (1850) is very interesting, however. Why an arc? Were the McCoys natural born colonizers who moved out of the South in an arc by 1850? Or were they run out of the Southern lowlands?

Heidler

I had a Great-Great-Grandmother Heidler.

And, yes, that's exactly how it's pronounced - HITLER.

it's quite interesting if you look at the number of "Christmas'" in all the states. Most states have about 1 in 10,000. I looked in my local book and there were not any Christmas', so I guess it is qiute rare. There's quite an interresting site that goes into a lot of detail. Probelly worth a look!

www.namenerds.com/uucn/advice/legendsubmit.html

Christmas aa a Surname (& Feeblebunny, Too)

The Greater Cincinnati, Ohio, telephone directory, which covers sections of three states and serves a population base of just shy of two million inhabitants, lists merely two people named Christmas.

It may be, of course, that citizens named Christmas prefer unlisted 'phone numbers....especially at THIS time of the year. If Mr. Christmas is a parent, can you imagine all the prank calls he'd get inquiring for "Father Christmas"?

And I found myself thinking today of the great English Buddhist scholar Christmas Humphreys. I'd always assumed that he'd been born on Christmas Day. But maybe Christmas was a family name?

My favorite supposedly-real name is Gaston J. Feeblebunny.

A friend (the science fiction novelist Ansen DiBell) remarked that the above name always sounded to ber as though it should be immediately followed with "played by W. C. Fields."

I think it is a shame that surnames are no longer evolving, so you don't get anyone named after their professions any more. How cool would it be to have a Ms Consultant or a Mr Graphic Designer?

Having said that, I did come across a Mr Contractor the other day!

Germans have strange surnames. Some of which you hope are not named after professions, one I remember was the german word for murderer.

Names

Quake42 said:
"I think it is a shame that surnames are no longer evolving, so you don't get anyone named after their professions any more."

Which brings up the obvious question - when exactly DID occupational names and place names cease becoming surnames?

In Britain and the American colonies the process seems to have been completed by the 16th and 17th Centuries.

But I've heard rumors of individuals named "Steamboat," which would have to date to the 19th Century.

The trouble is that the few "Steamboats" I've come across have either been totally fictional characters or else professional names (for example, the American professional wrestler Rick Steamboat.)

But I could see a 19th Century American riverboatman named, say, "Joe Smith" becoming far better known as "Steamboat Joe" and then eventually "Joe Steamboat," with Joe then passing his new surname on to his children.

If what my mother-in-law told me is true my husband and his brother were the last of our family name. We have a son and 2 nephews now so the name should continue on. I don't reveal it in forums because it makes us very easy to trace. It's a german name. I would imagine it's harder for us to be victims of identity theft though.

When we order pizza we use my maiden name so that we don't have to spell it.

Back