• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sussex Big Cat

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Black panther spotted roaming Sussex countryside
By Andy Dickenson (Brighton & Hove Argus)

Members of the public have reported sightings of of a black panther in fields near Gatwick airport.

Joanne Walsh, who works for Southern Rail, said she was travelling on the train from Brighton to Croydon when she noticed the big cat.

She said the animal was about half the size of a cow.
advertisement

She added: "It was a large black animal moving in a cat-like manner with very defined muscle tone and a long tail.

"My perception was that it was stalking cows in the adjacent field. Although it was approximately 100ft from the cows the animal appeared to be almost half the size of one."

Earlier this week, Mark Fraser, of Big Cats In Britain, said he believed panthers were living in the UK countryside.

Mr Fraser said he had received numerous sightings of big cats from Cornwall, near the Eden Project.

It was no longer a question of whether big cat cats existed in Britain, he added, but what different species were out there.

Ooh!
Must say that seeing an animal from a train doesn't give one an ideal chance to look at it, but interesting nonetheless.

My father lives in the general area of St. Austell and the Eden project.

He told me he saw he saw a big black puma in his garden once and quite a few other people in the village also saw it.

This was in the winter about 8 years ago, it disappeared from the village after a few weeks. I don't think anybody reported it.

Just interesting that it is very near that area.

He was really up close to the cat, going into his drive way and almost stepping on it, both of them were shocked and the cat ran off.

Later he said he saw big footprints in the snow - he reckons he has a photo of them "somewhere' but being the lax disorganised person with a house full of clutter that he is has never found it to show me (and probably never will)

Back