• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Swabs

sambeckwith

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
While going through a security check at Toronto's Pearson Airport in spring of last year, an official took my hand luggage to one side and wiped it with a cotton wool swab.
The same thing happened to my girlfriend's hand luggage a week or so later as we flew out of JFK.
Any idea what they were looking for?

Civil Aviation Security FAQ at http://cas.faa.gov/faq.html .....

Q. What are screeners checking for when they wipe my bag?
A. In addition to normal walk-through metal detection devices and x-ray units, some airports are equipped with additional equipment. This equipment is generically referred to as explosive trace detection systems. This equipment looks for traces of explosive compounds that may be present. It is done by taking a sample with a swab and analyzing the sample. You may see screeners rubbing your hand-carried articles with such swabs and placing them in the explosive trace detection system.

These tests couldn't possibly be related to mass spectroscopy tests that are confused by packs of cards, cheap scents and the like?

Back