• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

T C Lethbridge & Dowsing

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
I'm hoping to conduct a group experiment in the spring based on T C Lethbridge's tests indicating that pendulums of certain lengths will detect certain types of items. For those who don't know, he reckoned 40 inches was the limit, beyond 40 inches was beyond this dimension. It will be scientific-ish and I hope to put the finding in here. If anyone has any experience of this I'd be interested to know.

Hmmm, yeah, I know the theory you're talking about.

A couple of things that occurred to me:

1. A pendulum on a string 40+ inches long is pretty unwieldy... didn't he actually conduct some experiments down a stairwell ? But it's only a scale... wouldn't it work just as well with centimetres as inches ? A 40cm string would be far more manageable.

2. It's worth bearing in mind that the point at which something reacts can vary from dowser to dowser. Something that worked for Lethbridge at 20 inches may react at 19 or 21 for somebody else.

Sundstein said:
A pendulum on a string 40+ inches long is pretty unwieldy... didn't he actually conduct some experiments down a stairwell ? But it's only a scale... wouldn't it work just as well with centimetres as inches ? A 40cm string would be far more manageable.
The thing about pendulums is that the rate of swing varies with length

- a 40 cm pendulum would 'tick' much faster than a 40 inch one, which in turn would 'tick' faster than a 40 cubit one!

And I assume that it is the rate of swing that is important, because otherwise you could take any length of pendulum and claim that it is actually 40 units long in some existing or yet to be defined system of measurement! ;)

PS: almost certainly other Lethbridge stuff on here if you look - I don't have time right now.

I'm pretty certain that somewhere (I can't find the reference right now) Lethbridge says that he would never have discovered the phenomena if he had not been working in "natural" units - inches - as opposed to in "artificial" one - centimetres.

I have a rather excellent book - The Essential T.C Lethbridge (edited by Tom Graves and Janet Hoult) which points out that objects resonate at different lengths of cord. For example...

Length.
13 in........Slate, Concrete
14 in........Glass
20 in........Vegetable growth, bread, potatoes etc.
22 in........Silver, Lead, German stoneware(?)
26.5 in.....Running Water
29 in........Gold, Femininity
30.5 in.....Copper, Brass
32 in........Iron

I think one of the reasons that he decided that 40 inches was the cutoff point was his discovery that concepts could be ascribed in 10 inch intervals so at 10 inches you have light, sun, fire, red, east and truth and at 40 you find death, cold, air, black, north, sleep and falsehood.

Thank you for your replies, I've been ill over New year! The measurements stated I found in an article in 'The Unexplained' part work is what sparked my interest. I facilitate a group and am planning to take members to visit Long Meg & Her Daughters just outside Penrith in Cumbria and was thinking of combining something with dowsing into the trip.

I was interested to read a couple of accounts of people stating that the energy created forms like a spiral. Some carving on Long Meg herself show spirals, and they of course can be found on other earth works around the world. I don't have a comprehensive knowledge of this area but was wondering whether these spirals are attempts to illustrate some kind of energy that exists in the earth.

I'm looking to build a frame which can be constructed to sit on the grass. It will contain a series of boxes with a door. The idea is to test this idea of differing lengths of string will detect different materials. I will post on here n the summer when I've had chance to have a look at it. :D

Colin Wilson also wrote extensivewly on Lethridge and his dowsing. Very informative.
Good luck with your dangling.

A

jimv1 said:
29 in........Gold, Femininity

I'm so going home tonight and telling my wife "...my love, your femininity resonates at 29 inches".

...problem is she is likely to answer "....my darling husband, your masculinity resonates at about 2 inches....girth" :(

Sorry to bump this one up, what were the results of the experiment?

Back