• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tall Figure on Overpass / Potential Suicide

henry

still speeding
this was just a little one that i wasnt really going to bother with ... perhaps it should be in minor strangeness™ if anywhere ... so fortean sidekick ( 9 ) was at summer camp last week and i was making a trip south on the road between burnley and manchester ... A56 then the M66 ... just after the motorway kicks in there are a series of overhead bridges where roads cut across the motorway below ... approaching the first i noted a stationary figure on the far side of the bridge immediately above my lane ... this was at about 6.30pm ... there was nothing truly remarkable however as i passed beneath i physically looked up ( as you hear about people jumping or dropping things onto vehicles etc ) i also checked in my wing and then rear view mirrors and oddly the figure seemed to be extremely tall ... and didnt recede as i expected them to ... hard to explain but i had them in sight in my mirrors for a lot longer than expected ...

further down the road i thought mmmmm i wonder if i should post that on the FTMB ... was it the slenderman ??? however decided that without a photograph its even more flimsy and insubstantial after all it was probably just a tall individual taking the view

mid morning next day i am working at a location near rochdale ... one of the guys across from me was recounting about his daughters traffic nightmare due to a potential suicide jumper on the M66 ... my ears pricked up and a glance at google maps showed it to be ( i think ! ) the same bridge

http://www.rossendalefreepress.co.uk/news/woman-stood-footbridge-busy-a56-5430797

according to the story police were made aware at 04.45 friday morning that she was there ... apparently the road cleared around 10am so she was probably down an hour or so before that

was it the same figure ? if so how weird that she was there for over 12 hours ... or maybe she went and came back ... and what was with the whole strangely elongated vision of her in my mirrors ???

Re: Tall Figure on Overpass / Potential Suicider

HenryFort said:
...was it the same figure ? if so how weird that she was there for over 12 hours ... or maybe she went and came back ... and what was with the whole strangely elongated vision of her in my mirrors ???

Re the time thing - I wonder if these 'suiciders' spend a lot of time dithering about, trying to make up their minds? I remember seeing somebody like this myself when I was a teenager. In the morning, myself and my family drove along the A329, and we noticed a man wobbling about uncertainly on the edge of the road here:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=e...d=3SDg4Q9cKuv5-EsO4q-HtQ&cbp=12,95.78,,0,4.08

We spent most of the day (8 or 9 hours) visiting family, and then returned back along this road. The 'wobbler' was still there, standing in the same spot, looking like he was about to run across in front of us. It was definitely the same man, as we all noticed him.

In your case, re the height issue - maybe the person had climbed up onto the metal railing, ready to jump? That would make them appear taller, I should think.

We get it on the railways a lot, folk who will lurk and linger on station platforms or around railway bridges for hours before jumping in front of a train. Sometimes we have ones who take a few attempts, jumping out of the way at the last minute a few times before finally getting the deed done.

With regards "Wobblers" could he have been someone who was autistic or such like?
Near me there is a young autistic lad who will spend most of the day standing at a small roundabout watching the traffic. He is fine and clearly content looking at the cars but he will sometimes look exciting or agitated and get a bit 'wobbly'.

Back