• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Taxidermy: Badly Done; Funny; Bizarre; Etc.

I just literally laughed until tears were running down my face.

That is just sooo wrong!

And that L-shaped donkey is still one of the best/worst. :lol:

Here are some (illegal) examples which are meant to look strange...

THE BLACK MARKET WORK OF AN OUTLAW TAXIDERMIST

I’ll be the first to admit that I find a lot of Frankenstein taxidermy pretty corny, but the work of Enrique Gomez De Molina is so precise and seamless, his cut-and-paste beasts achieve a kind of uncanny beauty. Unfortunately, his materials weren’t exactly acquired above-board. In 2012 he was sentenced to 20 months in federal pen for trafficking in endangered and protected wildlife—or at least their parts.

The prosecutor points out that De Molina has been purchasing parts of endangered and protected animals for years, including “cobra, a pangolin, hornbills, and the skulls of babirusa and orangutans.” (If you’re naive enough to ask why it’s illegal to import an endangered animal that’s already dead, I’ll leave you to your thoughts.) However, despite making up to $80,000 per piece, De Molina claims he’s in it for the animals, “to bring awareness to the danger faced by a multitude of species: nuclear and chemical waste, overdevelopment, and destruction of rainforests.”
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_ ... axidermist

Some scary-looking chimeras there - actually well done, too.

0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, I don't think they'd appreciate you copying their whole site of copyrighted photos onto this one.

the last three are acutely observed!

The Lion of Gripsholm Castle (Sweden)

Quite a few years after the lion died, some of its remains were sent to a taxidermist to be mounted. All that was left was the pelt and some bones. The taxidermist was not at all familiar with this animal called a lion. So he did the best he could with what he had.

Image link is dead. Here's a replacement image of the Gripsholm Castle lion ...

Grh_Lejon_hela_hero.jpg

This Live Science article concerning the care required in developing a life-like taxidermic presentation:

https://www.livescience.com/65340-animals-hardest-to-taxidermy.html

... includes the following pair of 'WTF' examples of such care not being observed. The captions are quoted from the article.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzEwNS80MDEvb3JpZ2luYWwvbGxtLXRheGlkZXJte...jpeg

One of these ocelots was prepared by an artist who knew what an ocelot looked like. The other was not.

MTU1NjIyOTQyNw==.jpeg

Believe it or not, this taxidermy in Sweden's Gripsholm Castle is supposed to represent a lion.

That looks like the inspiration for Finland's coat of arms:
819px-Coat_of_arms_of_Finland.svg.png
The infamous retarded lion stabbing itself in the head with a sword.

Back