• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

You're a braver man than I am, Gunga Din!

(Although I did once add a second HD to my old computer. Little good it did me though, as the whole kit and caboodle died not long after because of an unrelated software problem from a freebie disk... :( )

in the bios there is sometimes an option to choose which hdd boots first, and i don't mean in the standard boot option order. have a dig around.

also if you want to wipe the salvaged drive you could pop in a boot disc and format it. safest way to do it is to not have the main drive plugged in at all then you can't wipe the wrong one ;)

also...
if you have killed off your boot sector, boot up with the xp disc, choose r at the first chance to, then at the prompt type:-
fixboot
and hit enter.

Ta muchly :). I shall experiment on Saturday (when I'll have time enough undisturbed to get on with it) and report back..

hello

Can someone help me with this query?

Over to left there <

Where you see "Moooksta" and "meep, meep, meep" undermeath it says "Great Old One".

Can I change that and if so how?

mooks out

'Profile > Profile > Custom Title/Signature' should take you there, Mooks.

Sometimes the default titles remain after you've apparently changed them - if so give us a shout and we can change it.

PS - thanks to Fleebs for the hardware advice. Worked a treat :).

WhistlingJack said:
'Profile > Profile > Custom Title/Signature' should take you there, Mooks.

Cheers JacknStu

mooks out

PS Just had a look and I can change the "meeps" but can't seem to remove or change "The Great Old One" tag?

Can I do that? Edit or change "Great Old One"?

You should be able to, but if you're having trouble just PM one of us.

This is a non-FTMB problem:

I simply can't visit the www.abebooks.co.uk site through my connection.
The .com address and the candian one open fine, but all the european extensions bring up this error:

Connection Interrupted

The document contains no data.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

I initially thought i must have blocked it by mistake, but none of my ad-blockers seem responsible. Then i tried internet explorer (i use firefox), but nothing. Finally, on my break at work, i tried accessing the site from another computer, but that worked fine. So, the problem is with me. I'm in South Korea, but that's never been a problem before. I'm also not 'signed in' to abebooks, and none of my preferences dictate that i default to the US site or anything like that. I'm lost!

Suggestions?

edit: more info:
1) I managed to get to the site - after several minutes' delay - via a UK proxy server through Tor.
2) The other laptop on the same wireless network works!
3) The internet connection is only a fortnight old. My computer runs XP and it took the technician hours to get a stable-connection. Has he perhaps 'tweaked' something with unforseen consequences?
4) I've flushed everything (cookies, cache, history, temp files and cleaned the registry): restart, but still no joy.

I had similar problems a while back and found this site useful...I think. (My brain finds all computer technical problems so boggling that I think it wipes all traces of the issue once I'm out of the trees).

You might not be alone though, although, actually, the error message is slightly different - have a look here.

(edit - Just noticed that the second link contains a link to the first one I mentioned and that the last post suggests that it might indeed help).

(edit...again. Just Googled 'The document contains no data', which I'm sure you've already done. You're definitely not alone. Plenty of advice, but not all consistent).

Thanks Spook.

Working through the solutions. Fingers crossed!

I've got an XP problem. My desktop will boot into XP no problem, accepts passwords, will let you into your profile etc but then will do virtually nothing. Hit the start button and you get the initial popup with browser, email and most recently used progs, but click on any and nothing happens, it just freezes.

Have tried booting into safe mode and then restoring to last weekend when it was working fine, same problem remains.

Even in safe mode it's very slow - anyone any ideas?

Took your advice, and yes, there were a couple of wonky files in there. It's still sluggish, but at least it's working, so cheers for that one, Pietro :).

What I'll do next is back it all up and then do a clean install. It's due a spring-clean.

My current DVD wish-list contains a surprising number of movies which are only available in Region 1 format. Anyone have any experience of playing Region 1 DVDs on Region 2 players? I know you can change the region on your drive (but only a very limited number of times) and that there are programs like AnyDvd and Regionkiller out there - but before I jumped in I thought I'd just check if anyone here had any relevant experience, positive or otherwise.

Spookdaddy said:
My current DVD wish-list contains a surprising number of movies which are only available in Region 1 format. Anyone have any experience of playing Region 1 DVDs on Region 2 players? I know you can change the region on your drive (but only a very limited number of times) and that there are programs like AnyDvd and Regionkiller out there - but before I jumped in I thought I'd just check if anyone here had any relevant experience, positive or otherwise.
Depending on what make of DVD player you have, you could try Googling 'region code' and 'region free', for your player. You might find that there's a code you can use with the remote, to reprogramme your DVD player.

;)

Can anyone explain why you can only change region a limited number of times on the computer?

To stop you watching DVDs from different regions. :evil:

But I have a dvd player that will play discs from all regions so why impose those restrictions on computers?

Because the company that made your dvd player didn't make your computer, and the company that made the computer is the more evil of the two.

There are many applications that will solve the problem. Some are free, but Slysoft's AnyDVD is my application of choice.

Thanks for that people. I can now look forward to watching Night of the Demon, Prince of the City etc, on DVD. :)

I've just bought my mum and dad a new laptop. A Toshiba L450D-113. Problem is, even when maxed, the volume is piss-poor, especially for DVD playback - and the reviews suggested that the audio quality was pretty high on this model.

A quick Google indicates that it might actually be an OS problem (its Windows 7) - but I get a mental prolapse if I spend more than 30 seconds on those techy sites and just wondered if there were any bright-sparks here who might be able to tell me what's going on, and thereby save my sanity.

I don't know Windows 7 but have you had a look at 'Sounds and Audio Devices' (or its equivalent) in the control panel?

Back