• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

That's odd, unless it's an extra-small laptop.
It is very small. I haven't got a numerical keypad. I have to use the numbers above the letters (which I'm more used to anyway).

It is very small. I haven't got a numerical keypad. I have to use the numbers above the letters (which I'm more used to anyway).
OK, that explains it.

My mobile phone is a Samsung Galaxy S22.
Does anybody know (and I mean 'know', not just a 'well it should...' type response) if I can block any video calls that come by way of any source, so that anyone who tries to video call by (eg) 'skype, or whatever method, will just get an instant rejection?
There does not appear to be any 'block video calls' in the phone call settings, or on the settings for the camera.

I'm thinking of just putting a bit of tape over the camera lens.

My mobile phone is a Samsung Galaxy S22.
Does anybody know (and I mean 'know', not just a 'well it should...' type response) if I can block any video calls that come by way of any source, so that anyone who tries to video call by (eg) 'skype, or whatever method, will just get an instant rejection?
There does not appear to be any 'block video calls' in the phone call settings, or on the settings for the camera.

I'm thinking of just putting a bit of tape over the camera lens.
That will work. Or if you dont load skype or whatever you can't get any skype calls.

I'm using Firefox and Windows 10 (or possibly 11 as it demanded that I update last time or it wouldn't turn off!)
My computer was acting wacky, and demanding that I install Windows 11, so I allowed it.
Otherwise I'd have to buy a new one.

My computer was acting wacky, and demanding that I install Windows 11, so I allowed it.
Otherwise I'd have to buy a new one.
Which would probably have Windows 11 on it anyway. Microsoft are really *****ing me off lately I've posted elsewhere about trying to avoid saving to the cloud on Office 365 and I couldn't load Office 2010 as the PC wasn't "set up to run this programme".

I've just deleted everything on the old flakey PC which required automatic re installation of Windows (Before I drop a brick on it for added security) At one point it asked for my credit card details so it could file them and make any automatic payments required by Microsoft!!! There is, for now at least, an option to skip but I wonder how long before that goes?

Which would probably have Windows 11 on it anyway. Microsoft are really *****ing me off lately I've posted elsewhere about trying to avoid saving to the cloud on Office 365 and I couldn't load Office 2010 as the PC wasn't "set up to run this programme".

I've just deleted everything on the old flakey PC which required automatic re installation of Windows (Before I drop a brick on it for added security) At one point it asked for my credit card details so it could file them and make any automatic payments required by Microsoft!!! There is, for now at least, an option to skip but I wonder how long before that goes?
They are becoming more and more insistent on us purchasing apps, etc., - and just now, a pop-up wants my cell number to link it with the computer, which I am not doing. It's none of their business.
They asked for my feedback on their 'systems', and I told them it's MY computer, not theirs, I paid for it, and I pay a good amount every month to have service. And I don't like the way my computer says 'Welcome' when I sign on, I know they watch every single search and news site I'm on, I feel 'violated'. LOL!
Microsoft One (I think it was that, anyway it had a 'One' in its' name) took over my photo file, which I did not request, they did it automatically (on Edge I think), duplicated the photos over and over, took out all the photo dates, what a mess! I uninstalled that right away, but now lost the photo order, which I had by date, hundreds of them..
Control - that's what it's all about, and Money.

Control - that's what it's all about, and Money.
You could try using different software - an OS like 'linux' and a browser like 'brave' or even at a pinch, 'chrome', and then use a VPN like 'Surfshark'.
All these things will make your personal stuff more secure and less open to 'them' being nosey.

You could try using different software - an OS like 'linux' and a browser like 'brave' or even at a pinch, 'chrome', and then use a VPN like 'Surfshark'.
All these things will make your personal stuff more secure and less open to 'them' being nosey.
I do use Chrome, and like it.
The problem is with the actual computer (HP) and the software that comes with it.
After purchasing this computer, I definitely noticed the differences from a few years back, and will sooner or later buy something different.

I like Brave, seems to work well.

I do use Chrome, and like it.
The problem is with the actual computer (HP) and the software that comes with it.
After purchasing this computer, I definitely noticed the differences from a few years back, and will sooner or later buy something different.
HP used to make really good stuff years ago.
But now, their PCs are riddled with bloatware and even potential spyware.
The worst is Lenovo. This laptop is made by Lenovo. I had to spend a looong time removing the unnecessary crud they'd installed.

FWIW I worked at HP for 11 years and still believe their hardware is second to none.
We got staff discounts on HP hardware and stuff like printer cartridges and, although I left them 6 years ago, I still happily using the ultra-reliable printer/scanner I bought for next to nothing some 7-8 years ago and have only recently upgraded my HP Omen laptop to .... another higher spec HP Omen laptop.
I only left HP because they offered very generous redundancy terms that I couldn't resist!

FWIW I worked at HP for 11 years and still believe their hardware is second to none.
We got staff discounts on HP hardware and stuff like printer cartridges and, although I left them 6 years ago, I still happily using the ultra-reliable printer/scanner I bought for next to nothing some 7-8 years ago and have only recently upgraded my HP Omen laptop to .... another higher spec HP Omen laptop.
I only left HP because they offered very generous redundancy terms that I couldn't resist!
Yes, their printers are still probably the best on the market.
Their hardware is good, yes.

HP don't make computers. They're made by Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd and Wistron.
I have an HP Printer which has (and still is) worked very well for many years, and it still gets all the needed updates.

Has anyone any experience of using gmail's SMTP outgoing email server? I'm being offered a 'much cheaper than BT' fibre broadband but they have no outgoing email server...and I have a number of email domains that are linked to maintained websites and I really don't want to have to keep logging into multiple web-mail servers.

In summary I need a new outgoing email server. :)

Having finally found a "smartphone" that doesn't involve Apple or Google, why would I need a "smartphone"? I can't really think of a reason.

We are spreading the net widely on this one :) The OP is completely without sight - no shadows or light/dark. Also autistic, hence has defined the need for this. More tech savvy than the average person.

You have my permission to ask this for me in other groups. I have had problems in some groups and might not have access and can't go through all these groups to figure that out. You can paraphrase some answers so it won't be considered violating confidentiality like a lot of people have found such and such.

What do you think is the best chatting robot to talk for you and why? What I mean is you talk, and it does things like make your posts and emails more concise. Put them in a diplomatic tone. Tell you how to improve. Predict social consequences of saying certain things.
What have you experienced with other robots that you think make them not the best?

I know that different robots are best for different things like one might be better for doing math and factual information, but I'm specifically looking for the one that is the best to talk for you as an autistic person who needs support with communication and has a limited support system so you can't get someone to talk for you when you need it. I think I will get in a lot less social trouble using these robots.

We are spreading the net widely on this one :) The OP is completely without sight - no shadows or light/dark. Also autistic, hence has defined the need for this. More tech savvy than the average person.
How would they edit the text produced by the chat bot?

Has anyone got any idea why an office printer would be doing this please?

aofficeprinter001.jpg

Back