• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Technical question concerning Digital photography

I think the answer to the question may be a camera setting called 'Slow-Synch', it is a specific setting where (as someone suggested earlier) the camera exposes the CCD to light for a long time, but fires the flash off once, usually at the begining.

In a dark area with only one or two items (such as a tv or lamp) the camera will produce a 'normal' picture of the areas illuminated by the flash (this area will be sharp and in focus), it will then only be able to 'see' the lit items for the rest of the exposure. Due to uncontrollable and involuntary body shaking any image taken on a long exposure whilst held by a person will be blurry. The Slow-Synch technique also produces 'ghostly' images where the light and dark areas overlap.

This also seems to explain Helz-Angel's photo, i would guess the subject was taken side on with the flash. Seeing the flash he assumed the camera had finished taking the photo and turned his head to talk to the photographer. This resulted in the ghostly image.

Slow synch is an increasingly common feature, and not just on high end models, my friend has it on his compact digital camera.

yes I have something similar on my cheapo digital. I call it the 'drunk-cam' 'cos it makes drunk people look even worse but really livens up an indoor party shot.

Back