• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Telepathy & Kids

Can seaweed be classified as a vegetable??

Or are you just being random??

Well people eat it as a vegetable....lots of nutrients and all that... I don't think it's a fruit, ne way.

Since I couldn't find the "Crisis Apparition" thread, I thought I'd
add this here (just for the record.)

Two weeks ago today, my girlfriend/life partner left for a 10 day trip
to Central America. The very first night she was gone, I awoke after
hearing her very clearly call my name. It was the voice she uses when
she has something urgent to speak to me about, and the sound even
echoed in the short hallway leading to the bedroom. I sat up, turned
on the light and looked around. I knew she was thousands of miles
away but it was so clearly her voice, it woke me from a sound sleep.

I glanced at the clock -- 4:44am. I fired up the laptop and sent her
an email detailing what had happened.

Several hours later, I received an email reply that stated that in the early
hours of the morning, someone had tried to pick the lock on her
hotel room door. She may very well have called my name when she heard
the sound. After throwing her water bottle at the door and scaring off
whoever it was, she immediately packed and left at first light -- around 5:00am.

Not significant or earthshattering proof of anything -- but it has never happened to either of us before or since.

FWIW,
TVgeek

TVgeek said:
Not significant or earthshattering proof of anything -- but it has never happened to either of us before or since.

That's plenty significant enough! Keep us informed if anything else comes to you.

That reminds me TVgeek. A few years ago now my mum was woken from her sleep by hearing her son (My brother, obviously) calling her in a really distressed way. He was out, and she looked at the clock, it was around 11.00 pm.
She was so worried she tried to call him but got no answer. He came home in the early hours with his shirt ripped and bloody. He said four blokes had attacked him in a nightclub and he'd been in their private office getting first aid. He said he never shouted for her but yup, the attack took place at around 11.00 pm.

The following happened when I was 13 or 14 years old, in the mid 1970s.
I did not go to school that day because I had a cold, though I was not seriously ill in any way. I stayed at home. My parents went to work as usual. My brother went off to school. I felt lethargic and snuffly, and I spent the day reading in bed.
At about 3pm-3.30pm the back door clattered open and my mother ran into the house, (Mam not normally a running type of person), very obviously worried, shouting out my name. I shouted to her that I was upstairs, and I jumped out of bed and staggered down the stairs, wondering what on earth was wrong.
She breathed a sigh of relief when she saw me, and she said something along the lines of, "Are you alright?"
She explained that a feeling had come over her, while she was at work, that something bad was happening or had happened. No specific details at all, but she immediately thought of me because I was alone at home, and feeling unwell.
She couldn't shake this sudden feeling, so she had made her excuses, left work and come home.
Just as she finished explaining this to me, the phone rang. Mam answered it. The caller was my brother's PE teacher, who told her that he was phoning from the local hospital, and that my brother had fallen off the wall bars in the school gym and his arm was broken, maybe a touch of concussion too.
She put down the phone, told me the news, and we just looked at each other. I do remember thinking, "That's bloody weird, that is."
(There was another incident, many years later, that involved my mother knowing or picking up on something she couldn't possibly have known, but it grows late... I'll try to find time to post it because although it was completely trivial, it left me feeling a bit gobsmacked.)

OK, its computer mediated. I reckon its a step along the road to telepathy. What do you think?

Vid & image at ink.

Telepathy on the Horizon: New Interface Allows Brain-to-Brain Communication
http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2 ... m-thoughts
By Clay Dillow Posted 10.06.2009 at 4:42 pm 4 Comments

Brain-to-Brain Communication Dr. Chris James demonstrating brain to brain communication, using brain-computer interfacing to send a series of ones and zeros over the Web to be deciphered by the brain (and computer) on the other end. University of Southampton
Ever wish you could read minds? While the technology to correctly call your poker buddies' bluffs still eludes us, researchers in the UK have shown that brain-to-brain communication is indeed possible. All you need is some electrodes, a computer, and an Internet connection.

Brain-computer interfacing, or BCI, isn't new. Researchers have used computers to read signals from the brain before -- DARPA is sponsoring initiatives to use such technology to develop prosthetic limbs that respond to neural commands -- but Dr. Christopher James at the University of Southampton has taken BCI a step further, showing that person-to-person communication is possible through true brain-to-brain interfacing.

In James's experiment, two people are hooked up to EEG amplifiers that measure activity in specific parts of the brain. The first person generates a series of zeros and ones, imagining moving his left are for zero and his right arm for one. The first subject's PC recognizes those thoughts as ones and zeros and transmits them over the Web to the second subject's PC, which flashes an LED at two different frequencies for one and zero. The EEG extracts the LED light's information from the subject's visual cortex and parses it back into binary code. Thus, brain-to-brain communication is achieved.

While this initial step is clearly rudimentary, the transmission of ones and zeros via the brain mimics the transfer of data by computers, albeit at much lower volumes (for now). For those suffering from severe muscle wasting ailments or "locked-in" syndrome, brain-to-brain communication could open a channel for conversation with the world around them, and even Dr. James admits it has Existenz-esque implications for gaming.

If that's not sci-fi enough, consider this: the person receiving the data via the LED flashes doesn't even know whether the light pulses represent ones or zeros. The differences in the light patterns are too subtle for the human eye to detect, but using human optics as a conduit, the computer can extract the patterns in the light and decode the message. That's right, singularity devotees and conspiracy theorists: the machines are using you.

As if it's not bad enough being interrupted by the phone, now they want to interrupt your very mind. What I mean is, they haven't mentioned the most obvious moneymaking use for this "telepathy": advertising.

When I was a kid I had a couple of experiences, but nothing vaguely paranormal has happened to me since I was a child. My family had just finished playing Yahtzee, and messing around I told my dad what the six dice he would roll would come up on, and they did. I got it right three times, but as soon as I thought about it and 'tried' I got the next roll completely wrong. Also, out with my dad, can't remember where, but it was somewhere I'd never been to, I told him that there were two dead chickens in the road round the corner. Everyone in the car ignored me, but two or three minutes later, we turned a corner and there were 2 dead chickens in the road. It was really random and it freaked my dad out. He kept asking me how I knew, of course I hadn't a clue.

A tantalising comment in a story about something else:

Scientists create 'sixth sense' brain implant to detect infrared light
A brain implant which could allow humans to detect invisible infrared light has been developed by scientists in America.
By Nick Collins
2:58PM GMT 17 Feb 2013

Scientists have created a "sixth sense" by creating a brain implant through which infrared light can be detected.
Although the light could not be seen lab rats were able to detect it via electrodes in the part of the brain responsible for their sense of touch.

Similar devices have previously been used to make up for lost capabilities, for example giving paralysed patients the ability to move a cursor around the screen with their thoughts.
But the new study, by researchers from Duke University in North Carolina, is the first case in which such devices have been used to give an animal a completely new sense.

Dr Miguel Nicolelis said the advance, reported in the Nature Communications journal this week, was just a prelude to a major breakthrough on a "brain-to-brain interface" which will be announced in another paper next month.

Speaking at the annual meeting of the American Academy for the Advancement of Science in Boston on Sunday, he described the mystery work as something "no one has dreamed could be done".

The second paper is being kept secret until it is published but Dr Nicolelis's comments raise the prospect of an implant which could allow one animal's brain to interact directly with another.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... light.html

It's not really a sixth sense, so much as an extension to one of the other 5.

Back