• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Teleportation

I was talking about this to a friend some time ago:

If a method of transportation was created which involved destroying every single atom in your body, translating it into data, then reassembling it perfectly at the other end from a selection box of all the correct atoms in the correct places(regardless of whether possible or not), would this still be you, or someone else? Would the operator be murderer, or would you be committing suicide?

If a method of transportation was created which involved destroying every single atom in your body, translating it into data, then reassembling it perfectly at the other end from a selection box of all the correct atoms in the correct places(regardless of whether possible or not), would this still be you, or someone else? Would the operator be murderer, or would you be committing suicide?
There's a really interesting s/f book by Thomas M. Disch, `Echo Round His Bones,' about a system of teleportation between the Earth and Mars.

The problem is, every time something is teleported, a ghostly carbon copy is created in a close by N. dimension. This is fine until they start teleporting human beings...

Re: Australian Government Teleportation Experiments

RoseSnape said:
I'm sure i heard on Radio Four this morning that the Australian Government were doing teleportation experiments, was i dreaming or has any one else heard about this??

Britain used deportation a couple of hundred years ago, now the b*ggers are trying to get back in by using teleportation !

Just kidding

;)

There's already a 2nd thread on this Australian stuff!

A search revealed 25 threads which mention teleportation:
one, called simply "Teleportation" (sorry, I just lost the link down the electronic plughole!), discusses some of the issues raised here.

My immediate thought on seeing this thread was "The Australian Government should be teleported. Preferably somewhere they can't come back from." Then I see it's about the people who claim to have "Teleported" a beam of light.

What I've been able to tell from the news reports here (apart from "Science Fiction has become Science Fact" which has been the mantra on the news for the last day), is that they have transmitted information using entangled pairs of photons.

I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than that, and will be interested to read more about it in the serious science press (or at least New Scientist, but I've heard people make these claims before. Oddly enough, they were also from Queensland. I'd make a joke about the educational standards there, but it's where I went to school, so I'd just be getting myself in trouble.

Edit: I seem to have made an embarrassing error, see new post below.

'Scientific American' reported that Bell Labs had had some successes with modulation on entangled pairs in one of their labs inthe US. in 1998/9. There's not been much on it since

8¬)

I must apologise for an embarassing mistake I seem to have made above. It seems that the research was done in Canberra, not in Queensland as I originally claimed. I'm not sure why I thought they were in Queensland, although there was some research done at Griffith University into possible time-travel (although I don't believe the person doing the research really had any credibility - on the other hand, I've been wrong about such things before).

How I found out/was reminded they were in Canberra is kind of interesting. I was sitting down for dinner in a cafe I frequent this evening, when another group came in and grabbed two tables for a big dinner they were going to have. Eventually one of their friends came in waving a copy of a local paper with pictures of some of the others on the front page.

So, in closing, let me just say that the research mentioned above was done in Canberra, not Queensland where I went to school, but rather where I went to University.

(I'm just overcome with academic pride...)

So those at the other table, were they the scientists who did it?

Xanatic said:
So those at the other table, were they the scientists who did it?

Didn't I say that? I certainly meant to. (I've been having problems focussing lately, I do apologise.)

At least I hope they were, otherwise that story makes even less sense. (And I did eventually realise that one of them had been in all the TV reports.)

Teleportation Gets a Quantum Twist

AFP/ ABC Science Online

May 10, 2004 — Teleportation always used to seem so simple. All it took was a quick call to Mr. Scott, and Star Trek's Captain Kirk would be beamed up from the cheap-looking scenery of some alien planet and materialize on the Starship Enterprise.

These days it's all about lasers, subatomic particles and quantum physics, say Australian and Canadian researchers, who have teleported information to more than one place.

They predicted their research would bring unbreakable codes and super-fast computers a step closer.

The Australian National University (ANU) and University of Calgary researchers published their work in a recent issue of the journal Physical Review Letters.

Ping Koy Lam and his team securely teleported a signal to a network of recipients that only a majority could reassemble. Any fewer and the signal could not be reconstructed.

Earlier work at ANU had achieved teleportation. But Ping described the latest work as "a much more complex form of information teleportation in the sense that it involves multiple recipients."

Teleportation is the production, disembodiment and successful reconstruction of a signal. In this case the signal was a high frequency sound to three participants. In the future, the message may be spoken or typed.

The researchers used crystals, lenses, mirrors and lasers to produce a pair of "entangled" particles that can affect each other from afar. These particles are then used to carry fragile information in the form of quantum states.

"These quantum states cannot be measured or copied, making eavesdropping impossible," Lance said. "The transmission of the light beams constitutes a secret communication scheme with guaranteed security."

The process of secret sharing is said to be a fundamental part of present-day telecommunication, computer and banking practices.

"Such network communication can be enhanced using the laws of quantum physics to protect the information, a process called quantum state sharing. The benefit of this technology is that the encrypted message can only be decoded by a majority of recipients.

"For example, if an encrypted message was sent to a spy network containing 15 individuals, a minimum of eight agents would be needed to access the message, limiting the chances of the message being infiltrated or deleted by a double-agent."

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20040510/teleportation.html

Quantum teleportation of states looks like being an important way of coding information so that it can't be intercepted except by the intended recpient.

However as other people have pointed out on this thread the information encoded travels at light speed so no paradoxes ensue...

I have used the concept of teleportation in various OA stories; the information contained in a human being, or any other material object, is extracted and sent to a distant assembler machine, where a duplicate is constructed; if this distant assembler is on another planet the signal can be boosted and encrypted using quantum entanglement, but the signalstill travels at light speed.

It is not necessary to destroy the original; simply(!) taking an instantaneous mind-state scan using nanites will do; at the other end a copy of your brain can be constructed in a new body grown from your transmitted DNA information. You can end up as multiple copies, as in this story;
http://www.orionsarm.com/stories/On_the_Boat.html

Later in the timeline, more detailed scanners read every quantum state in every atom in your body and transmit your quantum data- this scanning is destructive, and the copy at the other end is identical to you on the smallest resolvable level... hopefully your soul (if it exists) is also transmitted; but such metaphysical considerations are generally ignored by seasoned travellers as being pointless sophisty.

Re the 'carbon copy' method of teleportation,Clifford D. Simak's 1963 award winning novel 'Waystation' used this idea- I 've got it in a box in the attic somewhere.
Re the 'no more ugly people'-Didn't really work on ol' Jeff Goldbloom,did it?:D

I loved that Way Station book - it was one of my favourites when I was a teenager.

Mythopoeika said:
I loved that Way Station book - it was one of my favourites when I was a teenager.
Yes,it was one of my favourites too.Simak was justifiably labelled as the 'Pastoralist of Science Fiction',and to be honest a lot of his books,regardless of where/when they are set,depict a running away from urban living to a return to a pastoral existence.
I must admit to being reminded of him,when I saw the thread about 'Wisconscin wierdness',though (of course)it was mainly about Ed Gein,'Psycho' etc-not the sort of stuff that you associate with this spinner of gentle tales.
One 'real' Wisconscin valley mystery that Simack did mention though,was that the area was a sort of 'Island' within the frozen wastes of the last ice-age.This has always stuck in my mind for some reason.Going a bit O.T.,has anyone read about this,and do you have an explanation?

Crikey! Aussie teleportation, that'll solve the refugee 'problem' mate!
:)

We just need to set them up to beam the boat people straight to Nauru, where we can stop paying attention to them.

Magonian said:
Re the 'carbon copy' method of teleportation,Clifford D. Simak's 1963 award winning novel 'Waystation' used this idea- I 've got it in a box in the attic somewhere.

There's similar carbon copy teleportation in 'Rogue Moon' -Algis Budrys (1960) - where multiple copies are sent to the Moon to explore a vast alien artefact which tends to kill intruders. Each version penetrates a little further into the thing, using the knowledge that the previous copy gained before he too is killed.

Breakthrough

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3811785.stm
Teleportation breakthrough made
By Paul Rincon
BBC News Online science staff

Scientists have performed successful teleportation on atoms for the first time, the journal Nature reports.
The feat was achieved by two teams of researchers working independently on the problem in the US and Austria.

The ability to transfer key properties of one particle to another without using any physical link has until now only been achieved with laser light.

Experts say being able to do the same with massive particles like atoms could lead to new superfast computers.

This development is a long way from the transporters used by Jean-Luc Picard and Captain Kirk in the famous Star Trek TV series.

We are able to teleport in a deliberate way - that is, at the push of a button
Professor Rainer Blatt, University of Innsbruck
When physicists talk about "teleportation", they are describing the transfer of "quantum states" between separate atoms.
These would be such things as an atom's energy, motion, magnetic field and other physical properties.

And in the computers of tomorrow, this information would form the qubits (the quantum form of the digital bits 1 and 0) of data processing through the machines.

Atomic dance

What the teams at the University of Innsbruck and the US National Institute of Standards and Technology (Nist) did was teleport qubits from one atom to another with the help of a third auxiliary atom.

It relies on a strange behaviour that exists at the atomic scale known as "entanglement", whereby two particles can have related properties even when they are far apart. Einstein called it a "spooky action".

The two groups used different techniques for achieving teleportation, but both followed the same basic protocol.

First, a pair of highly entangled, charged atoms (or ions) are created: B and C. Next, the state to be teleported is created in a third ion, A.

Then, one ion from the pair - let's say B - is entangled with A, and the internal state of both is measured.

Finally, the quantum state of ion A is sent to ion C, transforming it. This destroys the original quantum state of A.

The teleportation took place in milliseconds and at the push of a button, the first time such a deterministic mechanism has been developed for the process.

'Great potential'

The landmark experiments are being viewed as a major advance in the quest to achieve ultra-fast computers, inside which teleportation could provide a form of invisible "quantum wiring".

These machines would be able to handle far bigger and more complex loads than today's super-computers, and at many times their speed.

"In a quantum computer it's straightforward enough to move quantum information around by simply moving the qubits, but you might want to do things very quickly, so you could use teleportation instead," said Nist's Dr David Wineland.

Professor Rainer Blatt, of the University of Innsbruck, told BBC News Online: "This is a milestone.

"We are able to teleport in a deliberate way - that is, at the push of a button. This has been done before, but not in such a way that you can keep the information there at the end."

Professor Blatt's team, an Austrian-US group, performed the teleportation on calcium ions. The Nist team in Boulder, Colorado, used ions of the element beryllium.

Despite this and some differences in the experimental methods used by the two groups, both teams reached similar values of fidelity - around 0.75.

Fidelity is a measure of how well the quantum state of the second ion after teleportation resembles the original quantum state.

Commenting in an article published in Nature, physicists H Jeff Kimble and Steven Van Enk said: "These two experiments represent a magnificent confluence of experimental advances, ranging from precision spectroscopy and laser cooling.

"The fact that such diverse procedures performed so superbly in two separate laboratories attests to the flexibility and great potential of ion trapping for processing quantum information."

Step 1: A pair of entangled ions are created: B and C
Step 2: The state to be teleported is created in ion A
Step 3: One ion from the pair - in this case B - is entangled with A and both are measured
Step 4: The quantum state of A is sent to ion C
Step 5: The state created for A is teleported to C

Sorry, it won't work... Tried this in the shed last Wednesday and there's still a big mess everywhere. Had to throw out the Qubits with the rubbish. Smelly bloody things.
:)

So: "Amazing breakthrough", "Great potential".

Sound familiar?

Thought so.

Wake me when we can teleport to work or something.

Amazing breathrough made with great potential!!

Scotty may soon be able to beam us up

Physicists are working at the far reaches of theoretical science but even their most difficult and abstract ideas can have practical applications, as SIMON COLLINS reports

When Captain James Kirk wanted to get the Starship Enterprise to the other side of the galaxy he ordered engineer Montgomery Scott to change "warp factor", and the ship was away.

Powered by an explosive mix of matter and antimatter, the Enterprise could travel through time as well as space to save Earth from some awful fate.

It seemed like pure fiction at the time. But a generation later, some of Star Trek's ideas are beginning to look possible.

Otago University physicist Dr Murray Barrett and a team of American scientists have just "teleported" the state of an atom from one place to another - only about 0.3mm away, but the principle has been established.

And Dr Matt Visser, a Victoria University mathematician who has written a book on space-time "wormholes", says the logic of Einstein's general relativity is "completely infested with time machines".

"Antimatter" is now well established. All subatomic particles, such as electrons, muons and quarks, are now believed to have corresponding antiparticles with names like positrons and antiquarks. There is even something called "negative energy".

In this looking-glass world, the certainties we take for granted are liable to dissolve. Fundamental uncertainty is the hallmark of the "quantum world" at extremes of sub-microscopic size and hugely accelerated energy.

This is the world where scientists expect the next big breakthroughs in technology. Switches on computer chips have already become so small that electrons are leaking out of one circuit into another, signalling an imminent end to "Moore's law", which has seen computer power double every 18 months for the past 40 years.

The next computer innovation is expected to be a different technology, using the strange features of the subatomic world - a quantum computer or a computer based on DNA, the stuff of all living things.

Scientists have known about this world for a surprisingly long time. It is 99 years since Albert Einstein published his theory that any observer travelling at a constant speed would see light travelling at a fixed speed of about 300,000km/sec.

His theory seemed to contradict common sense. You would have thought that light would appear to be travelling faster to someone travelling towards the source of light than to someone travelling away from it, in the same direction as the ray of light.

But the theory, based on the then-new understanding of light as a wave of electromagnetic energy, was true. Precise measurements showed that the speed of light going in opposite directions was indeed the same.

However, Einstein showed that this could be true only if our measuring rods of both distance and time varied according to the speed at which we were travelling relative to someone else. In effect, he rescued the common-sense view that our own relative speed should affect the speed at which we see things passing by.

At normal human speeds, the difference was trivial. But if humanity ever built a spaceship that could travel close to the speed of light, its clocks and rulers would measure the passage of time and space more slowly than an observer left on Earth.

Finally, Einstein noted that gravity also affected space and time. A heavy object, such as the Sun, somehow squeezed space and time around it. The result was that the four-dimensional "space-time" that we live in (up/down, left/right, forward/back in space and forward/back in time) was "warped" into some sort of mountainous landscape, with deep valleys attracting all objects inwards to big stars such as the Sun, separated from one another by high ranges.

In this extraordinary vision, the fastest way to get to some place or time was not necessarily over the mountain range - it might be to tunnel through a "wormhole" from one valley in spacetime to the next.

Visser, who grew up in Lower Hutt, the son of a factory foreman, and then spent 24 years researching abstruse physics in the United States, admits that no one has found a wormhole yet. But nor has anyone found any proof that they do not exist.

The idea, he says, originated with Professor Kip Thorne, a Californian physicist who was asked by science fiction writer Carl Sagan in the 1980s for a scientifically feasible way to get a character from one side of the galaxy to the other.

"We thought we'd be able to knock these things down and prove it couldn't be done," says Visser. "But the answer is much more ambiguous: well, it's going to be difficult [to find or create a wormhole], but it's by no means clear that it's impossible.

"My attitude is always that it would be great if these things exist, and even if they don't, the process of proving that they don't will tell us something about how the theory breaks down and give us a better handle on a modified theory for general relativity or quantum physics theory or whatever."

As Visser has noted in an article for the science fiction magazine Phlogiston, there are clear problems if wormholes do exist.

"You know that you, the reader, are alive right now, so no one can ever send a time traveller to five minutes ago to kill you as you pick up your copy of Phlogiston," he writes. "If someone tries, something must go wrong: the gun must misfire, or the time machine malfunction, or the assassin miss the bus, or any of a potentially infinite list of increasingly contrived excuses."

But even worse than such problems with logic, there is a basic contradiction between the two current fundamental theories of the nature of matter - Einstein's general relativity and quantum theory.

Relativity may seem to have a bizarre view of space and time but it has proved reliable in predicting such things as the movements of stars and planets. Even its prediction that time passes more slowly at high speeds has been proven by careful measurements with atomic clocks on high-speed aircraft and spaceships.

But quantum theory is even more odd. After a century of delving deeper into the microscopic world, quantum theorists have found that they simply cannot pin down the smallest bits of atoms at all. Some are so tiny that they are smaller than the smallest rays of light that we need to look at them, so that in observing them we are liable to "bump into" them and change them.

Moreover, these tiny things appear to behave at the same time both as particles, which are in one place, and as waves which stretch out and sometimes get deflected, split or absorbed. The only way we can describe their position is as a range of probabilities, such as a 50 per cent chance that right now the thing is between A and B.

This is the mysterious world in which people like Barrett are experimenting with "teleporting" subatomic particles of matter or light, taking advantage of uncertainty to perform magic tricks that appear to shift things from one place to another.

The tricks start by firing a beam of laser light into a bunch of particles to "entangle" them, giving them all a common clockwise or anticlockwise spin and other properties.

As long as the particles in the group are then kept isolated from other matter or energy, they all keep the same properties. Change one, by mixing in a new particle, and you change them all - even those that are now far away from the original bunch.

In effect, teleportation is not really shifting matter from one place to another. The particle being changed was already there. But the process of changing that particle's properties destroys the state of the original particle, so it is equivalent to moving it.

Cristian Calude, a computer science professor at Auckland University, is among those trying to use this peculiar uncertainty to produce a quantum computer, which can do multiple calculations at once.

"Classical computers do everything sequentially," he says. All problems are reduced to zeroes and ones and solved one by one.

Quantum computers would use the fact that we cannot be sure what state a subatomic particle is in. All we can say is that it has a certain probability of one state and a certain probability of another. Several particles together would multiply the uncertainty - and ironically, multiply the power of the computer, by allowing it to represent a lot more potential numbers and do many calculations at once.

Calude says that is why the human brain can still do many tasks much faster than most of today's computers.

"I do all my work during my sleep. I dream my proofs [of mathematical problems]. You concentrate yourself so much on the problem and at some stage you can solve it. You live it, and naturally it comes into your dreams. This is a kind of activity which is very, very unlikely to be simulated by a classical computer."

Australia's eight-site Centre for Quantum Computer Technology has said it hopes to have a working quantum computer by 2007. IBM, Microsoft and other big companies are working on it, although Barrett warns that it may take 10 years to build a computer with just 10 "quantum bits" of information.

"It wouldn't surprise me if it was 50 years away," he says. "It could be longer, or shorter, or it could be scrapped as a scientific avenue of research tomorrow."

As Visser says, the whole field is extraordinarily uncertain and full of contradictions. "I've got the nasty feeling that we've got something fundamentally wrong and that we are asking the wrong question.

"This is not an attack on general relativity, because it's clear that in its appropriate realm it works beautifully. And it's not an attack on quantum physics because in its appropriate realm it works beautifully, too.

"But the fact that we are having so much trouble putting the two together indicates to me that there is something fundamentally misguided with the theories we are using."

SCIENTISTS WHO MADE CERTAINTY COLLAPSE

New Zealand-born Ernest Rutherford found things that seem solid are made up of atoms that are largely empty, with what appears to be a small central nucleus and tiny electrons spinning around it.

Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger discovered that both light and matter are made up of waves that cannot be pinned down to a specific point in space.

Germany's Werner Heisenberg concluded that it is impossible to determine both the position of a particle and its direction and speed at the same time. The best you can do is a statement of probability.

Swiss scientist Albert Einstein found that space and time can only be defined relative to a particular observer. For example, both the size and speed of an object would appear different to observers in different places and travelling at different speeds themselves.

Einstein also found that space and time are "warped" by the gravity of large objects such as stars.

All this uncertainty opens up possibilities for jumping through space (teleportation) and time (time travel) - at least until scientists find a better way of describing the world.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?reportID=1162626&storyID=3580087

Teleportation goes long distance

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3576594.stm

By Paul Rincon

Wednesday, 18 August, 2004

Properties were teleported from one photon to another
Physicists have carried out successful teleportation with particles of light over a distance of 600m across the River Danube in Austria.

Long distance teleportation is crucial if dreams of superfast quantum computing are to be realised.

When physicists say "teleportation", they are describing the transfer of key properties from one particle to another without a physical link.

The team has published its findings in the academic journal Nature.

The really interesting question for us was whether we could do this outside a lab setting

Rupert Ursin, University of Vienna
Researchers from the University of Vienna and the Austrian Academy of Science used an 800m-long optical fibre fed through a public sewer system tunnel to connect labs on opposite sides of the River Danube.

The link establishes a channel between the labs, dubbed Alice and Bob. This enables the properties, or "quantum states", of light particles to be transferred between the sender (Alice) and the receiver (Bob).

In the computers of tomorrow, this information would form the qubits (the quantum form of the digital bits 1 and 0) of data processing through the machines.

The Austrian team encoded their qubits using a property of light particles, also called photons, known as polarisation. This property describes the direction in which they oscillate.

Quantum teleportation relies on an aspect of physics known as "entanglement"; whereby the properties of two particles can be tied together even when they are far apart. Einstein called it "spooky action at a distance".

Speed of light

The Nature study used an experimental method in which Alice performs a joint measurement on one photon in the entangled pair and on an "input" photon.

As a result of this measurement, Bob transforms the quantum state of the other photon in the entangled pair into that of the "input" photon.

The researchers were able to teleport three distinct polarisation states between Alice and Bob via the fibre-optic cable through the tunnel. The process is not instantaneous as it is limited by the speed of light.

The significance of this research was that it took place under "real world" conditions.

"The really interesting question for us was whether we could do this outside a lab setting, in the environment used for today's fibre-optic communications," co-author Rupert Ursin of the University of Vienna told BBC News Online.

"This is very important if you are talking about investing money in quantum communication."

Quantum teleportation could be harnessed for fast, powerful computers or communication networks.

In the underground sewer pipe tunnel, the fibre-optic link was exposed to temperature fluctuations and other environmental factors that could interfere with the process.

Nicolas Gisin of the University of Geneva, Switzerland, successfully teleported quantum bits, or qubits, between two labs over 2km of coiled cable. But the actual distance between the two labs was about 55m.

Mr Ursin said a next step towards worldwide quantum communication would be to attempt the teleportation of quantum states between particles using a satellite link.

"The first thing you will need to do is find out whether you can have entanglement over such long distances. But teleportation will be one of the next goals," he added.

The researchers were also able to double the efficiency of teleportation using linear optics.

They say the spooky action at a distance is not instantaneous. That can´t be right, that´s the whole spooky thing about it.

The entanglement of two particles causes particles to change state instantaneously; but real, usable information cannot be transmitted by means of entanglement alone;

a 'classical channel' message has to be sent as well, which limits the transfer of information to the speed of light; thereby saving relativity to live yet another day.

I was just disgesting this very article on the Beeb before returning to this here Geek board. Spend some time sipping my tea and contemplating the philosophical questions raised by the theoretical prospect of teleporting complex living organisms (although the Q&A section on the BBC site makes quite clear the difficulties inherent in this and how many millenia we are from achieving it, if indeed it is possible).

If teleportation works on the principal of transferring the state of one particle to that of another, what does it mean to say that the transferee particle is the original?

In fact, if this is how teleportation works, wouldn't it not so much be a question of moving an organism but rather duplicating it perfectly? In which case, would you have to dispense with the original as an unwelcome leftover?

I'm reminded of the way cloning is depicted in the Arnie vehicle The Sixth Day. If a perfect replica of you could be instantly created, then yes, the new you would have continuity of consciousness and would feel himself to be the original you in every meangingful sense. But if that were the case, would you be happy to just stand aside and allow him to live your life? Would you be happy to be dispensed with at that point on the basis you were still alive in the form of your clone? I think not. You would still feel yourself to be losing your life, because however identical the other you was up to the point he was spawned, your existences have already begun to diverge, and if you are executed, it is you who's losing his life - the copy is another person already.

So if Star-Trek style teleportation involved the destruction of an original and the creation of a perfect copy, what are the social implications? Could it ever be sold to the populace on the basis that to say you've "died" and been recreated is academic - that in every sense, you are still here?

We use light speed copy machines in Orion's Arm to send copies of people to distant locations; there are several types; we call them engenerators.
the first one is designed to send virtual copies of people, that is to say upload personalities; these contain a lot of data, but are able to run on suitable hardware when they get there, including specially contructed robot bodies which can be as realistic as you like.
You can copy an upload an unlimited number of times.

The second one sends a copy of the upload and a copy of the body's DNA as well; it then builds a new body for the upload and downloads the virtual human into the new body.

Not easy- the neurons are particularly difficult to get right.
Once again this can be done as many times as you want.
Popular belief holds that the soul is copied as well, so that there are two identical, but divergent souls, in these first two cases.

The third, and most advanced, option, is somewhat similar to the Star trek transporter, but is set many thousands of years from now-
every quantum state in your body is simultaneously destructively scanned and sent to a remote location by quantum teleportation;

this of course is limited to light speed via classical channels.

There it is reassembled as rapidly as possible into an exact copy of yourself.
Except that uncertainty creeps in, and the copy is only the same as the laws of quantum mechanics allow;
there is only one copy in this instance, and popular belief holds that the soul is transmitted too.

Many members of the Orion's Arm civilisation do not agree with the popular beliefs about engenerator transmission; many of these believe that you are killed, either in the uploading process or the quantum copying process, and that the copy is a zombie or dybbuk;

these are the people (and there are many of them) who do not travel by engenerator.

Eburacum45 said:
We use light speed copy machines in Orion's Arm to send copies of people to distant locations; there are several types; we call them engenerators...........

Good stuff, I enjoyed that!

Teleportation.

By Paul Rincon
BBC News Online science staff

Physicists have carried out successful teleportation with particles of light over a distance of 600m across the River Danube in Austria.
Long distance teleportation is crucial if dreams of superfast quantum computing are to be realised.

When physicists say "teleportation", they are describing the transfer of key properties from one particle to another without a physical link.

The team has published its findings in the academic journal Nature.

The really interesting question for us was whether we could do this outside a lab setting
Rupert Ursin, University of Vienna

Researchers from the University of Vienna and the Austrian Academy of Science used an 800m-long optical fibre fed through a public sewer system tunnel to connect labs on opposite sides of the River Danube.
The link establishes a channel between the labs, dubbed Alice and Bob. This enables the properties, or "quantum states", of light particles to be transferred between the sender (Alice) and the receiver (Bob).

In the computers of tomorrow, this information would form the qubits (the quantum form of the digital bits 1 and 0) of data processing through the machines.

The Austrian team encoded their qubits using a property of light particles, also called photons, known as polarisation. This property describes the direction in which they oscillate.

Quantum teleportation relies on an aspect of physics known as "entanglement", whereby the properties of two particles can be tied together even when they are far apart. Einstein called it "spooky action at a distance".

Speed of light

The Nature study used an experimental method in which Alice performs a joint measurement on one photon in the entangled pair and on an "input" photon.

As a result of this measurement, Bob transforms the quantum state of the other photon in the entangled pair into that of the input photon.

The researchers were able to teleport three distinct polarisation states between Alice and Bob via the fibre-optic cable through the tunnel.

The significance of this research was that it took place under "real world" conditions.

"The really interesting question for us was whether we could do this outside a lab setting, in the environment used for today's fibre-optic communications," co-author Rupert Ursin of the University of Vienna told BBC News Online.

"This is very important if you are talking about investing money in quantum communication."

Quantum teleportation could be harnessed for fast, powerful computers or communication networks.

In the underground sewer pipe tunnel, the fibre-optic link was exposed to temperature fluctuations and other environmental factors that could interfere with the process.

Nicolas Gisin of the University of Geneva, Switzerland, successfully teleported quantum bits, or qubits, between two labs over 2km of coiled cable. But the actual distance between the two labs was about 55m.

Mr Ursin said a next step towards worldwide quantum communication would be to attempt the teleportation of quantum states between particles using a satellite link.

"The first thing you will need to do is find out whether you can have entanglement over such long distances. But teleportation will be one of the next goals," he added.

The researchers were also able to double the efficiency of teleportation using linear optics.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/sci/tech/3576594.stm

Published: 2004/08/18 18:14:24 GMT

© BBC MMIV

It was nice to see this post, Queen. It is a subject that I am very interested in.
One of the things I like about humans is the inherent curiosity that we are no doubt born with, the quest to find out how things work and why.
As my Father used to say, " The future is upon us"
Japan has deployed a solar sail, how far away is interstellar travel?
Peace!
=^..^=217

Back