• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Templar Treasure in Scotland

A

Anonymous

There are two important facts that has been strangely overlooked
by the current influx of Templar/Masonic history of recent years.

It has been suggested, and evidence does support, that the Templars fled, in their fleets, from the port of La Rochelle. It is stated that they fled to Portugal and Scotland. Scotland was governed by an excommunicate king, (Bruce), which meant that papel rule did not feature and Scotland would become a haven for excommunicate malignants. Any Christian country would have had the right to launch a crusade against the Scots.

However, (and heres the first point that has been missed), when the Templars were at the hight of their power, they recieved soldiers and other men from all over western europe, including Scotland.

This would mean that the Templar army would be comprised of people from all countries in the "civilised west".

To flee a country to return home is not as juicy as fleeing home and wandering aimlessly.

Finally, and this is a clincher, when the Templars were at their most powerful, be it banking for europes kings or attempting to set up a principality of their own, they were granted the "free gifts" that todays rich celebrities recieve.

"They were awarded land in all the Royal Burghs in Scotland.
They lived here for more than a hundred years!!!!!!!!"

My home town had no less than 16 Templar Tenements and a few more outside of town.

I also live within ten minutes of Kilwinning Abbey. No matter what doubts can be cast over this abbeys connection with the above, there can be no getting round several facts about its origins.

The land belonged to the St.Clairs, (first Grand Masters).
It was owned by the Montgomery Family, whose Templar/Norman connections are blurry but destinct none the less.
The oldest Masonic document known, the Schaw Statutes, was found in the Montgomeries castle.
The Montgomeries are still, periodically, Grand Masters of Scottish Antient and Accepted Rite Freemasonry.
Bernard of Linton, the monk who penned the Declaration of Arbroath, was positioned in Kilwinning.
The world oldest masonic lodge was established here.
Bruce held his first meeting here shortly after the battle of Bannockburn in 1314.

I will not reveal any more and much of this is public knowledge anyhow. I am hoping to publish my local findings.

Does anybody have information to share in regards to "Mount Heredom?"

I cant help you being a non-academic, but perhaps you would be kind enough to help me?

I'm planning a visit to Rosslyn Chapel in the autumn. I'm aware of links between Rossly and the Templars but can only find fairly mundane info on the web.

if you can put me onto a site with more detail / speculation regarding Rosslyn I'd be obliged

The First Grand Master of the Knights Templars was Hugh de Payen. He was married to Catherine de St. Clair whose family own a part of lothian. Hugh set up the first Templar Preceptory outside the holy land on her family land. So, St.Clair land was the first to be used for the building of Templar Preceptories outwith the holy land.

Rosslyn was built after the Templars "european demise"........long after. There can be little doubt as to the Templar connection.
Rosslyn the land was owned by Sir William St.Clair who had the Chapel built under his name. His ancestors were accepted Templars. The first Grand Master of Scottish freemasonry was......
.......a future, William St.Clair of Rosslyn.

Will look out some other stuff as the web is feble for this subject and I have a wealth of books. (my prefered medium)

Back