• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

That Vaguely Un-Nerving Feeling....

Something about the children's faces at 0:18 seconds, I assume it must be make up, makes them look really, really old. The boy in particular, see also 1:51.

I'll not bother with the O Lucky Man clip just yet, but thanks for posting it.
Both O Lucky Man and Britannia Hospital are seriously creepy films .. I haven't watched either of them in years but they were very strange, I can remember large chunks of the scenes.

Both O Lucky Man and Britannia Hospital are seriously creepy films .. I haven't watched either of them in years but they were very strange, I can remember large chunks of the scenes.

I liked the music as well.

"Chocolate sandwich!!"

As a young (pre-school) child the one that would have me hiding under the table was Nancy Sinatra - These Boots are Made for Walking.

I found it incredibly disturbing, especially the end bit where she says "Are you ready boots? Start walking..." - in my imagination a huge army of evil, disembodied boots were relentlessly crushing everything in their path. It was the un-naturalness of these living boots that has stuck in my imagination ever since.

LOL, one of my hobbies that I don't do very often is silversmithing/jewellery.
I used to do that in Oz! Silver and glass-enamel. Sold it on weekend markets and by email-order. Had it up on a website (long dead now). Very satisfying.

The two songs that unnerve me the most are 'Frankie' by Sister Sledge and a song by BROS that was included in a genuine nightmare I had where the volume kept getting louder.

Having spent a chunk of the 90's in techno-industrial clubs dancing to the creepiest music known to man, not too many songs unnerve me (unless you're going for the real classics, like DOA by Bloodrock, which would take out all but the stoutest of heart). However, I did once have a terrifying nightmare of being chased by an axe murderer while the Texas Country Reporter theme tune played in the background. :eek: I could never hear it the same way again.

"Nights In White Satin" always gave me the creeps as a kid, as did "House Of The Rising Sun" - urgh, they still unnerve me now! (Knowing the warped humour of some of the regular posters here, I'm guessing someone responding to this post is going to include one or both of those songs just to creep me out...)

"Nights In White Satin" always gave me the creeps as a kid, as did "House Of The Rising Sun" - urgh, they still unnerve me now! (Knowing the warped humour of some of the regular posters here, I'm guessing someone responding to this post is going to include one or both of those songs just to creep me out...)
I won't post a link to The House of the White Satin then.

The Doors "Riders on the Storm". I don't hate the song, in fact I rather love it, but it disturbed me the first time I heard it and I have still get an echo of queasiness when I listen to it now.

Somebody mentioned not liking Little Drummer Boy performed by The Ray Conniff Singers. The reason that I can't listen to that song is because I understand that it is playing in the background of the tape Ian Brady and Myra Hindley made when they killed Lesley Ann Downey.

Somebody mentioned not liking Little Drummer Boy performed by The Ray Conniff Singers. The reason that I can't listen to that song is because I understand that it is playing in the background of the tape Ian Brady and Myra Hindley made when they killed Lesley Ann Downey.

Yup, that was me. I hated the song before I knew about the murder connection though. The murderers played the album version during the crime and the single came out much later, which is when I'd have heard that particular arrangement.

Any version of it creeps me out and as it's been around since the '40s and sung by many (sadly misguided, I'd say) artistes I probably heard it every xmas from the early '60s onwards.

It's just wrong.

Yup, that was me. I hated the song before I knew about the murder connection though. The murderers played the album version during the crime and the single came out much later, which is when I'd have heard that particular arrangement.

Any version of it creeps me out and as it's been around since the '40s and sung by many (sadly misguided, I'd say) artistes I probably heard it every xmas from the early '60s onwards.

It's just wrong.
You are so right. The song is utterly wrong. Even without murder, there is something spooky about drummer boys. I think there is an old ghost story about, err, ghostly drummer boys. Spooky and vile connotations. Ick!

You are so right. The song is utterly wrong. Even without murder, there is something spooky about drummer boys. I think there is an old ghost story about, err, ghostly drummer boys. Spooky and vile connotations. Ick!
I think there is a thread about them...or they are mentioned on a thread about tunnels maybe.

Did I ever mention my Christmas 2015 song? :twisted::twisted::twisted:

A song that makes me feel physically sick is Fairground by Simply Red, something to do with the way it keeps building to false climaxes over and over.

I used to do that in Oz! Silver and glass-enamel. Sold it on weekend markets and by email-order. Had it up on a website (long dead now). Very satisfying.
Not doing it now?

No. Used to have a full workshop in a double garage. Now in a flat with smoke detectors connected to the block fire panel/alarm system. :(
Awww.

A song that makes me feel physically sick is Fairground by Simply Red, something to do with the way it keeps building to false climaxes over and over.

Absolutely. I wonder if it's meant to evoke the experience of going up and down, round and round on a fairground ride whilst being leered at by those airbrushed paintings of red-haired clowns as you career frightiningly close to the superstructure. Now I think of it I reckon that's how Mick would've won over his many lady friends when in his pomp: 'Arlright luv, fancy a ride on the ginger rollercoaster?'

The Doors "Riders on the Storm". I don't hate the song, in fact I rather love it, but it disturbed me the first time I heard it and I have still get an echo of queasiness when I listen to it now.

I never knew that. Now I feel Sick.

I never knew that. Now I feel Sick.
It's horrid, isn't it? Not that I liked the song much before, but when I found that out: absolutely revolted.

Obviously not the song's fault, but damned by association?

As a young (pre-school) child the one that would have me hiding under the table was Nancy Sinatra - These Boots are Made for Walking.

I found it incredibly disturbing, especially the end bit where she says "Are you ready boots? Start walking..." - in my imagination a huge army of evil, disembodied boots were relentlessly crushing everything in their path. It was the un-naturalness of these living boots that has stuck in my imagination ever since.
Like a few others, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that song. And I blame it for my fondness for long, leather boots. That and the Velvet Underground:

let's go fly a kite? Uuurgghh. I hate that song! It doesn't really creep me out, I just f'ing hate it. :mad:

Fourth grade music class we did Mary Poppins and had to rehearse that song again and again. I'm still resentful.

Maybe it is kind of unnerving, if it still has the ability to bug me this much after all these years.

You have my sympathy! Notwithstanding everything else it seems to me a very weak finale.

Sorry, but I had to have a break after that. I think I'm still not right.
This is something much less odious: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jane birkin strange melody
Ethereal and haunting, I hope you agree.
It's not something that you can really come to terms with. Hence the tapes being locked away for eternity.

But! Jane Birkin, gorgeous! Did you see the BBC doc on French songs? Jane was in that quite a bit, talking about Serge Gainsbourg et al. Wonderful stuff!

EDIT: to say, I adore J. Sheridan Le Fanu, so I love your name and avatar!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not something that you can really come to terms with. Hence the tapes being locked away for eternity.

But! Jane Birkin, gorgeous! Did you see the BBC doc on French songs? Jane was in that quite a bit, talking about Serge Gainsbourg et al. Wonderful stuff!

No, I missed that, I'm afraid. I'll try and track it down.

Little Drummer Boy now represents, for me: The Devils Tatoo.

EDIT: to say, I adore J. Sheridan Le Fanu, so I love your name and avatar!
Well, thank you!

Last edited:
Back