• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The 47 Ronin

Alexius4

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The Wikipedia treatment of the story

The classic tale of adherence to duty beyond the call - and of vengeance on an operatic scale.

This is enough to lend it Fortean interest, but there is arguably more. By the early 18th century the Samural had become legend - that legend erupted into the present and shocked the nation. It became popular theatre and song immediately.

It grabbed Japanese culture by the scruff because it was so damned uncanny; an example of how a society copes when myth crosses into reality.

I dont understand what you mean by that. Oishi was just acting out of giri.

The incident took the country by storm because it appealed to the popular ideal of Bushido (something made up by armchair samaurai to justify the acts of their ancestors...) and was publicised by the mass media (books and the theatre. Remember that though people outside the towns did not have access to theatre many `could` read and they often put on amatur plays for the benifit of those who couldnt.)

Its not died down yet.

True, it was a media sensation - and that is the point. Had it been considered humdrum, nobody would have bothered. Instead, it made a dramatic splash, to the extent that some refer to it as the Japanese national saga.

Bushido was current at the time, but not that kind of Bushido - that was something extraordinary; something from the tales of the Gempei War. By the 18th century, the samurai were almost titular and often satirised when they tried to assert their status. I don't believe the Ako Incident changed that much - for most, the samurai remained a relic of the past. But I guess for a moment, a mythic past came to life in the midst of a bustling 18th city.

I suppose the nearest English equivalent would be if some lesser Earl of somewhere raised a retinue and declared a baronial revolt. In Surrey.

It is touched on in the film Ronin:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0122690/

with someone they hole up with building a model of it and tells them the story.

There are also a number of jidai geki film on this.

-----------
There is one from 1994 - Shijushichinin no shikaku:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0111170/

Not much info on this one.

-----------
But the two best known are from earlier periods (both by well known makers of films in the genre):

Genroku chushingura (1941) by Kenji Mizoguchi

www.imdb.com/title/tt0033654/

Its a bit steep at Amazon.co.uk (£120 - not much cheaper at the US site):

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/63053 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6305339 ... enantmc-20

I have his Samurai Revellion which is a superb stately examination of the nature of honour. He also made Kwaidan and Seppuku - the latter mentioned here:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 994#561994

---------
Chushingura - Hana no maki yuki no maki (1962) by Hiroshi Inagaki

www.imdb.com/title/tt0055850/

This is a lot cheaper ;)

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/63050 ... ntmagaz-21
R1:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000056 ... enantmc-20

He also directed the trilogy (often given as the Samurai trilogy) about Miyamoto Musashi who is a legendary figure in Japan (there are 30+ films about him):

After his death, various legends began to appear. Most talk about his feats in kenjutsu and other martial arts. Others tell that he killed giant lizards in Echizen. He gained the stature of Kensei, a "sword saint" and various tales connect him with other contemporary martial artists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi

He wrote the Book of Five Rings (and others but this is the main one he is remembered for):

www.samurai.com/5rings/

Kitamura's film also mentions him as being an Aragami - a God of War:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0362417/

The Samurai Trilogy is based around the life of the historical character Musashi Miyamoto. Born around 1584, he perfected the technique of two sword fighting, as well as developing into a considerable Zen black ink artist. Having fought his first duel at the age of thirteen, he was involved in 60 other engagements before his death in 1645.

Samurai 1: Musashi Miyamoto
www.imdb.com/title/tt0047444/

Samurai 2: Duel at Ichijoji Temple
www.imdb.com/title/tt0048579/

Samurai 3: Duel on Ganryu Island
www.imdb.com/title/tt0049710/

You can get the set cheap as chips at Play.com:
www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R ... g=72&pa=sr

Also through Amazon:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0003 ... ntmagaz-21
R1:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001UZ ... enantmc-20

ooooops a bit of a tangent.......

-----------
There are numerous book versions - the nicest looking:

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/07649 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764932 ... enantmc-20

Other versions:

Forty-Seven Ronin Story
by John Allyn
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0804801 ... enantmc-20

Chushingura
by Donald Keene
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/02310 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0231035 ... enantmc-20

Thats a very succinct summing up of the affair, Alexius.

(Says she whos period `is` the Gempei wars...)

(Says she whos period `is` the Gempei wars...)

ooh, very nice :D Looking forward to your starting a thread up on some of the weirder tales - the crab story would be a good start ;)

The Last Samurai has its share of Ako echoes; the same sense of myth and modernity hitting head on. In particular, the scene were the insurgents enter Tokyo on horseback, erect in the saddle, greeted with a mix of incredulity and instinctive deference.

What would be the point? Most here have never heard of Yoshitsune and Benkei...

But they want to - they just don't know it yet.

Was she at Ichi no Tani with the others? Tell the story, HA - we know it is cool as F. ;)

Homo Aves said:

The Genpei War came at the end of the Heian Period as is a crucial turning point in Japanese history - so feel free to share. It we all went on the principle that most people may not be interested well...... I'd probably be a lot quieter around here ;)

I think Alexius' question is a good jumping off point.

Does this have something to do with samurai that were also kabuki players? IIRC there was some connection between the two traditions(?), and the reference to the only true female samurai is alluding to males who played the female role on stage, and sometimes off of it?

One of my friends is huge on the traditional stuff, but that's about the most I can dredge up right now from memory - poss. garbled a bit too.

Homo Aves said:

if theyre in the book of 5 rings, i have :D

BlackRiverFalls said:
Does this have something to do with samurai that were also kabuki players? IIRC there was some connection between the two traditions(?), and the reference to the only true female samurai is alluding to males who played the female role on stage, and sometimes off of it?

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 279#553279

It originated 500 years after the Genpei War so there is pos. no direct link.

I saw that Movie!! The 47 Ronin It was like 1940's but kept my intrest till I passed out from drinking. :D

Back