• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Amazing Screw on Head

July 17: Mignola’s SCREW-ON HEAD premieres on-line

A number of years back, there was a comic by Mike (HELLBOY) Mignola that had the power to make this writer laugh like no other. Absurd in its premise, the book contained a humor that ran at a high level of random, all the while delivering the usual spooky goods we’ve come to know Mignola for. That comic was THE AMAZING SCREW-ON HEAD, a story about an American agent who is, quite simply, a metal head who can screw into any body he creates and works for President Abraham Lincoln. With the assistance of his manservant Mr. Groin, Head would try to thwart the evil plans of Emperor Zombie. I know—ridiculous.

Well, the Sci Fi Channel has been at work on an animated HEAD adventure. The 22-minute pilot episode, featuring the voices of Paul Giamatti, David Hyde Pierce and Molly Shannon, has found life over at Sci Fi’s site (click here to go directly to that page) and it’s loaded with everything Mignola delivered in HEAD's Eisner Award-winning 2002 debut. You’ve got werewolves, mummies, vampires, an unspeakable evil contained within a turnip and a few old ladies with a chimp. Sci Fi, obviously skeptical about this curious property they’ve developed before taking it further, asks visitors on that page to fill out an on-line survey after watching HEAD, so let ’em know what you think! You know where my vote’s goin’.

This is a good year for Mignola-originated cartoons, as HELLBOY fans will get an animated feature film this October courtesy of Revolution Studios and IDT Entertainment. Look for more coverage of that project in a future issue of FANGORIA. —Ryan Rotten

www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2328

Link as above:
www.scifi.com/amazingscrewonhead

I'd read on BoingBoing that they were blocking access to the pilot by region. As I hadn't seen it yet I checked out the SciFi.com link and yep, I couldn't view it on there. The pilot is on YouTube in three parts as well as a preview of the animated Hellboy series.

Can this unorthodox trio stop Emperor Zombie in time?

So, that's where he went. :shock:

Back