• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Ashes Of Aleister Crowley Found

parrisdude

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I write for a local magaziner called weirdnj....over the last year we have beenn investigating a story that the ashes of aleister crowley were buried under a tree in hunterton county new jersey USA

Apparently a close follower of his a german man whos name i cant remember.Was in charge of his ashes and took them to the USA,there he rented a house in new jersey and buried the ashes there...

so far we have narrowed the town down but havent been able to find the exact location of the house....does anyone know anything else that might help

The person to whom the ashes were left was Karl Johannes Germer. According to this OTO document ...

"... In his Testament, Master Therion, Edward Alexander Crowley, named him as his successor and worldly and spiritual heir. Thus did Karl Johannes Germer inherit as O.H.O. of the Ordo Templi Orientis all of the publishing rights and other powers in connection therewith. In addition to his ring, Master Therion left him his ashes which were transferred to him under a 100 year old tree in the garden of what was then the "White House" at Hampton, New Jersey. Nothing is everlasting and Karl Johannes Germer moved to Jackson in 1956 ..."

(SOURCE: http://user.cyberlink.ch/~koenig/metzger.htm )

Germer died in Westpoint California, October 25, 1962.

... And a more detailed account of the 2 versions of the ashes and tree story (thrown vs. buried) can be found in this document:

http://user.cyberlink.ch/~koenig/rf/rf5.htm

... which includes accounts of interactions with Karl Germer.

more needed

What i would need is a relative or a letter addesed to them at their New Jersey address--thus ill find the house and the tree--hopefully the urn..any clues.

are there any archivest out there for their estate?

If you read the account given in the 2nd URL I posted you'll find that the author claims Germer told him he'd (Germer'd) intended to take the ashes to California when he moved, but found that the urn / strongbox had totally deteriorated ...

(That's just if one accepts the burial version of the story, though ...)

While searching for leads yesterday I ran across a couple of transcriptions of Germer letters written while in New Jersey. The sender's address was listed simply as 'Hampton New Jersey' (no other street / route data).

It's also pertinent to point out that the name 'Hampton' applies to both the specific settlement / village and the borough overall. One might need to figure out which would most probably have been referenced in addressing circa 194X - 1958.

... And if I'm not mistaken one reference to Germer's move from New York used the phrasing '... outside Hampton New Jersey ... ' to describe the location he moved to in the late 1940's.

If he lived in a truly rural area, he might not have had a mailing address. Before Rural Free Delivery, most people picked up their mail at the post office (often a part-time operation, amounting to a desk in the feed store or some other central location), which held it until called for, in which case all you need to get mail to him is the person's name and the name of the post office. Bigger towns had post offices with boxes, as they still do, and you'd need a box number for delivery. Even today, I've had trouble sending business packages to people who have RFD but not street addresses - i.e., Joe Blow, RR 73, Nowheresville, Texas, 78666. If the package is too big to fit in the mailbox at the road, the national service leaves a note in the box and holds the package, then returns it if not picked up within a certain time frame. Private couriers, such as UPS or FedEx, won't deliver to boxes at all.

It's road trip time, Parrisdude. What you want are property records that you probably can only access at the county courthouse. Find all the Hamptons in New Jersey and do a property search, starting with the most probable. If he owned his own home, somewhere in there is some record of the transaction, of taxes paid, of something. If he was renting, the problem is bigger, but not necessarily insoluble. Somebody at the courthouse has helped people doing geneological research who had similarly scant information.

With all respect to the original poster, shouldn't this thread be moved to Esoterica with all the other Crowley material?

crowley

The artical said he could only find the nails of the box..not that it has disolved..it could easily have not been able to find it as things shift underground in NJ.

Ive been to hampton and he was renting. if a picture exit of the hampton home or them at the hampton home would help..Hampton is small at least the center of town is. outside is more rural and still is.

so i need photos or a street name..if i find it ill take a metal dector and we'll have alister crowley back ashes anyway

I always thought that they were scattered at the Devil's Dyke, east sussex, near where he died in Hastings (and very close to where I currently live).

H_James said:
I always thought that they were scattered at the Devil's Dyke, east sussex, near where he died in Hastings (and very close to where I currently live).

That was my impression also - while the "Hymn to Pan" was sung or recited.

It's a very beautiful place, and with some suitably gothic trees, but last time I visited I didn't notice any old evil spirits or malevolent ash hanging around.

On a slightly different note; has anyone heard that Jimmy Page is in possession of the only Crowley footage?
I think it may either be of a ritual, or French news footage of when he was arrested at his temple.

To me the idea is very exciting, wonder what the chances are of it becoming publicly available?

Back