• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Atomic Curse of Rutherford, Room 2.62

Pietro_Mercurios

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Rooms at Manchester University, where the ground breaking British atom scientist, Rutherford once worked, 100 years ago, are being linked to recent cancer deaths.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...h-or-just-a-cancerous-coincidence-940318.html

The deadly legacy of room 2.62 – or just a cancerous coincidence?

Independent Online. By Jonathan Brown. 24 September 2008

He was the man who launched the world into the nuclear age, winning a Nobel prize and laying the foundations for modern nuclear physics.

But now it appears that radiation left over from 100-year-old experiments by Ernest Rutherford, the first man to split the atom, could be partly responsible for the deaths of up to four Manchester University staff.

For years between 1909 and 1917 Professor Rutherford conducted experiments in room 2.62 of an austere red-brick Victorian building which now bears his name. There he investigated the properties of radon and polonium – which killed the Russian dissident Alexander Litvinenko – and experiments using radioactive material were carried out there until 1947. But the building was never tested for radiation and in 1972 it was handed over to the university's psychology department.

Concerns about the building's safety were raised last year after the premature death of the psychologist Hugh Wagner, who died of cancer aged 62, having worked for 20 years in room 2.62.

His colleague John Clark, who worked in room 1.54, directly below Dr Wagner's room, succumbed to a brain tumour in 1993.

Then last week Arthur Reader, 69, who also worked in the Rutherford building, lost his battle against cancer, fuelling fears among his family that his death was "more than a coincidence". the Manchester Coroner Nigel Meadows has called for an inquest into his death. "I'm going to have a post-mortem examination to determine whether or not his death was unnatural – that is, whether or not he was exposed to anything during the course of his employment that may have caused or contributed to the cancer," he said.

There are also concerns over the death of Vanessa Santos-Leitao, who died from a brain tumour in February after being ill for less than a year.

The university insists there is no evidence of a causal ink between the building, which has been used by the psychology department since 1972, and the deaths. It insists it is safe – a view shared by the Health and Safety Executive.

However, a report by three academics working in the Rutherford Building has revealed a disquiet among workers there. Precautionary decontamination of the Rutherford was ordered in 1999 when staff began to find rooms and lecture theatres closed off with radiation warning signs.

The academics' report, which accepts there is no causal link established between the deaths and the building, has called for the thousands of members of staff who worked there to be traced if evidence of a health risk is uncovered. It said there continued to be uncertainty over the nature of the health risks to staff and called for a review of procedures governing workers' wellbeing.

In a statement, the university welcomed the academics' report and is set to announce details of its own independent inquiry into the affair, having come under pressure from the lecturers' union, the University and College Union. Sally Hunt, the union's general secretary, said: "UCU has been pressing the university to implement its proposal for an independent investigation into the concerns raised by staff as soon as possible. We also want to know whether the Health and Safety Executive took all the steps it should have."

The dangers of radioactive material were not fully understood by the pioneers in the field. Marie Curie died from leukaemia in 1934 while her notebooks are still too dangerous to handle. Rutherford died in 1937, aged 66.
The ghost in the atom?

Rooms at Manchester University, where the ground breaking British atom scientist, Rutherford once worked,

He was from New Zealand wasn't he?

Ooooh ostention?!

When I was at Manchester University (many years ago) there was a UL that Rutherford used to 'flush his old experiments' down a particular toilet in what was now the Psychology department and that it was radioactive to this day. WooooOOOoooooo!

Along with the one about the design of the 'toblerone' Whitworth Park hall of residence being a cunning trick to get more money out of the council who had offered to pay for the roof, and the old 'moving a guy from the top floor's stuff to an identical room on the ground floor and chucking him out of the window when he's pissed' one etc I had always assumed it was complete bollocks.

I heard the Rutherford when I was at Manchester, they were still building the tolberones, so that story hadn't started, but the one about chucking someone out of the ground floor window was told about several halls of residence.

I'd be surprised if there was a hall of residence in the world without the defenestration UL :) - I only mention it to show how much faith I had in the Rutherford toilet story at the time.

Picky?

I tell you what, lets ask the any New Zealanders on the Board if they appreciate being called British. You certainly wouldn't make that mistake if he had been say Irish or Australian would you, because you know the responce you would get.

feen5 said:
Picky?

I tell you what, lets ask the any New Zealanders on the Board if they appreciate being called British. You certainly wouldn't make that mistake if he had been say Irish or Australian would you, because you know the responce you would get.
Joke? :roll:

I was joking, in a jocular fashion, you know.

When I lived in the Tobes I once 'tried' an internal fire door and found myself sharing a shower with a surprised male student. :shock:

Joke?

I was joking, in a jocular fashion, you know

Ok if you were joking i'm sorry for getting a bit bolshi, but can you understand why?. I always thought when people raised there eyes to heaven they were fed up or pissed off with someone. I never use that emoticon if i'm joking i use the smile or the wink.

Just as an aisde i have seen this on several websites, is it right to use the eyes to heaven emoticon when joking. I only raise my eyes to heaven if im fed up with someone or something. My parents used to tell me to stop doing it if they seen me because its rude. Am i the only one?

I used the eyes raised to heaven icon, because I thought it would be a bit too obvious, if i'd used smilies, or winks.

Obviously, I did make a mistake by describing Rutherford as British, but I was only attempting to use the gentlest form of faux sarcasm, to cover up my mistake. :D

escargot1 said:
When I lived in the Tobes I once 'tried' an internal fire door and found myself sharing a shower with a surprised male student. :shock:
Ha ha - yes, I was in one of those flats with the firedoor in the shower!
On a vaguely related but completely OT subject, I got in a a spot of bother while I was there for being overly inquisitive about the 'smoke detector' in our kitchen .... it didn't look like a smoke detector and didn't go off when we burned the toast, so I climbed up on a chair to investigate its true nature ...... turned out it was actually a heat sensitive alarm .... strong heat, like from a fire, would cause a bi-metalic strip to bend and break a circuit so setting off the fire alarm. For the whole building.
Of course by the time I'd established this I'd set the bloody thing off ... cue about 200 people evacuating the building, the arrival of three fire-engines and a bunch of firemen in breathing apparatus bursting in while I was still up there trying to un-break it.
And then quite a bollocking. :oops:

feen5 said:
Joke?

I was joking, in a jocular fashion, you know

Ok if you were joking i'm sorry for getting a bit bolshi, but can you understand why?. I always thought when people raised there eyes to heaven they were fed up or pissed off with someone. I never use that emoticon if i'm joking i use the smile or the wink.

Just as an aisde i have seen this on several websites, is it right to use the eyes to heaven emoticon when joking. I only raise my eyes to heaven if im fed up with someone or something. My parents used to tell me to stop doing it if they seen me because its rude. Am i the only one?

You'll find there's online article at this link http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol ... 374832.ece
however in all honesty, if your worrying about whether to use :roll: OR :) maybe you need a break from the internet :roll:
:lol:

An empty but sealed factory building sat for decades in downtown Cincinnati. The company which had formerly occupied the premises manufactured radiation-measuring equipment until one day an accidental explosion hammered uranium and radium samples into the walls, ceilings and floors.

Back