• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Bagpipe Man

Theonept

Fresh Blood
First time posting, please excuse the spellings and punctuation. Over the years growing up I've had a a few strange experiences. But the following experience always makes me wonder if anyone else has had something similar happen to them.

I grew up in Birmingham on an estate called Castle Vale which was built in the 60s on part of what was the Castle Bromwich Aerodrome.

The one side of the estate was bordered by a large playing field which had a small river/culvert running along side of the field at the far end beyond the Culvert was a row of trees and thick vegetation which bordered and railway track and beyond that was just wasteland and further undeveloped parts of the airfield.

It was autumn 1996 and Often in the early evening about 6pm me, (I was aged 11) my mother and my younger sister who was around 1 at the time would often go for a walk over to the playing field to get some air and to try and settle my sister for the evening.

We would always walk to the furthest edge of the field to a little clearing where we could look over to the far railway tracks as there was a parting in the trees.

On this particular evening we had not long arrived at our usual spot when on the opposite side of the water a man walked across from one side of the trees to the other as soon as he had disappeared into the foliage we herd the sounds of bagpipes being played extremely loud coming from that direction . me and my mother looked at each other and decided it was just a guy practicing his Bagpipes so as the noise was so loud and disturbing my sister we decided to walk home and thought nothing of it.

The next evening a little later than usual we went for our walk this time minus my sister... so me and and my mother walked to our usual spot by the water and as we arrived at the the clearing the man appeared on the opposite side of the bank again virtually at the same time as us... this time he looked over at us a nodded and carried on his way again as soon as our view of him was obscured by the trees the bagpipes started up again just as loud as last time and the same tune... this time we had gotten a better look at him and noticed just how out of placed he looked and how dated his clothes were (it was 1996)... he was wearing navy trousers and black leather bomber jacket with a white fur lined collar and carrying a smallish black briefcase I'm not sure that a set of bagpipes could have fitted in it... he had dark hair which was quifffed back in a fifty's style... if he had been wearing a pair of aviators you would have described him as pilot looking guy... (if that makes sense) we waited around for a while about 10 minutes and the bagpipe music stopped... we decided to hold on a bit longer to see if the man walked back past the clearing on his was back to wherever he was from but no-one walked past and after 20 minutes we decided to make our way home and tell my father what we had seen and heard.

We stayed home for the next few evenings as the weather was not the best on the Friday evening we again went out for our walk and as soon as we got to the edge of the field we could hear the sound of bagpipes being played. We had gone out at a much earlier time as the evenings were starting to draw in and still we heard the bagpipes... that night we didn't go to the usual clearing deciding not to walk as far into the playing field as we were a little spooked.

Again over the next few evenings the weather was poor so we didn't venture out but by the Monday we went out and we did our usual walk and this time there was no sign of the bagpipe man and no other sightings after that either...

I still find it strange that if the man was real why he would choose to practice his Bagpipes by an busy industrial railway track and overgrown wasteland and in poor light... we asked friends and family if they had ever encountered him and no one else had as I said the estate was built on an old aerodrome which saw active duty during both wars until it was demolished in the early sixties...

Me and my mother often talk about the bagpipe man still wondering if he was real...

l can remember driving home from a morning’s stalking, still at about 0600/0700hrs. As l turned off a minor country lane onto a major road, there, in a field as the sun had just risen, was a piper practising. What a wonderful sight, to say nothing of sound.

Such practise has a practical use, too. With bagpipes, you never need a clock: Woken up in the small hours, unsure of the time? Simply fire up your pipes. Within seconds you’ll hear a voice shouting “What ****’s playing the ****ing bagpipes at twenty past three in the morning?

Job done.

maximus otter

Last edited:
My Highland Pipes live in a backpack/case that has everything but wheels and an engine!

Screenshot from 2020-03-12 17-06-39.png

l can remember driving home from a morning’s stalking, still at about 0600/0700hrs. As l turned off a minor country lane onto a major road, there, in a field as the sun had just risen, was a piper practising. What a wonderful sight, to say nothing of sound.

Such practise has a practical use, too. With bagpipes, you never need a clock: Woken up in the small hours, unsure of the time? Simply fire up your pipes. Within seconds you’ll hear a voice shouting “What ****’s playing the ****ing bagpipes at twenty past three in the morning?

Job done.

maximus otter

Try playing them at 3 in the morning in the corridor of a Travelodge whilst three sheets to the wind on cider! Ahem......

I'm banging my head against the wall because this crappy, cold, windy and wet weather shows no sign of getting stuffed. I just want it to be fine and dry so i can get out in the countryside and do some serious practice.

Back