• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Battery Acid Wax Trolls

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
I've experienced sleep paralysis many times over the years, always irregularly with very long gaps between the episodes, sometime years. But there's a certain thing that has reappeared a couple of times, and most recently just a couple of months ago.

I'd like to hear if anyone has a similar experience, but anyway it's very hard for me to describe these creatures, and during the visitation(?) my visual dream coordination seems to fail somewhat so that these little things are principally experienced through my other senses. The best way I can describe them is as a group of malevolent small (perhaps 3 inch) men, made of waxy substance, with an off light brown-yellow colour. They give off this in-dream taste of battery acid, and get closer to me, the last time they appeared almost on my bedside table. They pop up in that between dream state, never any visual manifestation upon waking, just the residual dark, negative atmosphere.

Sorry the description is crazy I know, but just wanted to share my experience in a coherent way.

Thankfully I haven't had an episode of SP in years, but back when it happened a bit too often, there was sometimes a small 'animal' in the room with me.

One time it was an iguana type thing, another time it was sort of a small monkey like goblin, maybe about 6 inches tall.

Sometimes they would sit on me, though it's entirely possible in RL that might have been one of my cats that got incorporated into it.

The battery acid thing... acid reflux?

That's an interesting idea, but not I'm certain, I actually kept putting off any attempt to write about this as I was struggling to give these things an understandable description. It's really like an abstract form of manifestation, and they have with them an atmosphere that's completely unique, and more oppressively disturbing than the usual sleep paralysis.

The battery-acid description makes me think possibly you've bitten your tongue or cheek during the episode?

I just wanted to give the psychological perspective here. Sleep paralysis technically is caused when we awake during REM (rapid eye movement sleep) which is associated with dreaming. During REM sleep we are paralysed, presumably to stop us from acting out our dreams. Dreams often incorporate aspects of what is going on in our bodies and around us, so the acid reflux explanation could quite well be applicable here. Even though you are technically awake with your body still paralysed, hypnagogic imagery ( essentially hallucinations ) left over from REM sleep are still present which would explain the feeling of the creatures.
Some people are more prone to sleep paralysis than others, and how we interpret these occurrences also seems to be culturally dependent. Going back to medieval times people often experience witches/hags/succubus attacking them, while more recently these experiences have taken other forms such as alien abduction.
The psychological term for what you are experiencing is a parasomnia.

Thanks for the reply, it's more as though the presence of this little things affects Delta perception of the senses. And makes more of on impression in that respect than they do on the visual. Yet at the same time I can see a very definite form as described above. It's quite hard for me to get my head around such an abstract manifestation. I should add that the episode strongly differs from the usual night terrors I've experienced and feels more like something discarnate is there and not just what my mind is projecting. It's strong enough at the time and after to be able to differentiate. Almost as though this particular thing is using the sleep paralysis episode as a window of opportunity to come through?

I honestly don't think it is anything supernatural, but a well known phenomena associated with sleep paralysis - the hallucinations can affect any of the senses. For instance, as I am drifting off to sleep I sometimes hear my name called. Night terrors are a different kind of parasomnia and are not really associated with sleep paralysis. Interestingly people deprived of sleep often have hallucinations in which dreams intrude on their waking lives and seem very real to them.

Back