• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The BBC's Musical Portents

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
The BBC seems to have an odd way of predicting future events by means of music: just before John Denver died they kept playing Annie's Song as the tag music for some series or another, and not long before the Aum attacks on the Tokyo subway "Going Underground" was featuring heavily.

Now, the BBC's theme tune for it's World Cup coverage is "Kashmir", by Led Zep.

Any other examples anoyone can think of of this odd phenomenon?

The only vaguely similar thing I can think of, Stu is the famous crosswork published before the D Day landings, which numbered several of the code words amongst its clues . . .

Sorry, that was going off at a tangent a bit . . .

Carole

Except it isn't Kashmir itself- it's the Puff Daddy track 'Come with me' from the 'Godzilla' soundtrack... presumably selected for the Japanese monster movie/manga feel.

A pedant writes...

Following the BBC's "Perfect Day" campaign we did enjoy a clement summer...

Does playing Leftfield's 'Open Up' (a UK Top Ten hit with vocals from former Sex Pistol John Lydon in late 1993) on 'Top Of The Pops' count?

It had the famous "Burn, Hollywood, burn" chorus which just happened to coincide with huge fires all over Southern California that very week.

Spooky.

therion said:
Except it isn't Kashmir itself- it's the Puff Daddy track 'Come with me' from the 'Godzilla' soundtrack... presumably selected for the Japanese monster movie/manga feel.

OK - everyone look out for a 40 storey green bipedal fire breathing aquatic lizard thing.

Might happen...

Back