• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

THE best UFO case?

Justin_Anstey

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
http://www.lauralee.com/archives/index.htm
http://www.lauralee.com/archives/asx/031502.asx
Patrick Huyghe - UFO's, Media & the Government
03/15/02
Editor of “The Anomalist” and author of “Swamp Gas Times” reflects on twenty years of writing on UFOs. What surprising answer did the Pentagon give me when asked if our Government was staging UFO abductions? How much does he believe our Government knows about UFOs? How might increased terrorist surveillance impact UFO research? How many unexplained objects are captured on satellite imagery? What is his most intriguing UFO encounter, and more.
In Patrick Huyghe's opinion (41minutes into the interview) the best UFO case is the event that took place on April 24, 1964 in Socorro, New Mexico and witnessed by police officer Lonnie Zamora. Is he right?

http://www.isso.org/inbox/ubd/case/1964.htm
In the end, Project Blue Book declared the report "unsolved," and Major Hector Quintanilla, the project's final director, stated that there is no doubt that Lonnie Zamora saw an object which left quite an impression on him:

"There is also no question about Zamora's reliability. He is a serious police officer, a pillar of his church, and a man well versed in recognizing airborne vehicles in his area. He is puzzled by what he saw, and frankly, so are we. This is the best-documented case on record, and still we have been unable, in spite of thorough investigation, to find the vehicle or other stimulus that scared Zamora to the point of panic."

-Quintanilla, Hector, "The Investigation of UFO's," Studies in Intelligence, Vol. 10, No. 4, Fall 1966.

My vote would go to the Saturn-shaped object spotted by the Brazilian navy in 1958. Many witnesses, several different photos, and it can't be mistaken for just anything.

Still, the fact that the person who took the photos was a profession photographer makes me a little suspicious.

Here's a pic, you've probably seen it before.

And there's:

http://www.forteantimes.com/gallery/trentufo.shtml
McMinniville, Oregon. 11 May, 1950. UFO photographed by Mrs Paul Trent, with her husband in an area where UFOs had frequently been seen in the past. Neither of the two photographs taken has been discredited, despite much analysis, and the Trents still stand by their story.
It's not much to show for 50-odd years, is it?

-J

I'm not sure about naming the Zamora case the best evidence, as the majority of that evidence is based on the witness testimony of one person. While Mr. Zamora might be infaliable as a witness, I would think you would want more corraberating (sic?) physical evidence to back it up. The Brazilian Navy case is a perfect example of what you would want in a sighting; trained military observers, multiple photos, etc. The Trent case is fascinating too, primarily due to the fact that those photos have been examined time and time again, and each time the verdict is a large object (approx 40-50ft I think) at some distance from the photographer.

Slightly off-topic, has anyone seen the STS video of the giant "glow worm" looking thing writhing and contracting across the sky? Its an incredibly fascinating video (I downloaded it at UFO Scotland), and although I don't think it shows a "nuts and bolts" UFO, I do think it shows something very unusual and as yet unidentified. Almost looks alive.

My favourite UFO case is the Cash Landrum UFO. Obviously it was a nightmare for those involved, but it has hard evidence, apparent military involvement and a genuinely strange (and dangerous) UFO. The only thing lacking is any aliens.

Despite the evidence it left, it has never been explained, which just adds to the mystery.

That's still only a single witness case. Remember, we are talking the BEST (i.e. read most convincing) UFO case. I must admit though that's a very good one.

I think if you could construct a perfect UFO case it would have the following elements:

1) Multiple independent witnesses (the Cash-Landrum case had three, but all were related. It would be more convincing to have multiple witnesses who had nothing more in common than the sighting itself.), some of whom would be trained observers or carry strong credentials.

2) Physical evidence, such as debri, medical problems incurred by witnesses, etc.

3) Photographic/Video documentation, showing the scene clearly and with structures to provide scale.

Now, if only you could make a UFO case. :)

Nah... the best is the wierdest encounter of the 3rd/4th kind... :D

So I'm gonna go with a top 3 of Vila Boas' rather, um, pleasing, abduction experience, the case of the Kelly-Hopkinsville Goblins or French abductee superstar Frank Fontaine's encounters.

JackSkellington said:
Nah... the best is the wierdest encounter of the 3rd/4th kind... :D

So I'm gonna go with a top 3 of Vila Boas' rather, um, pleasing, abduction experience

Yeah, but didn't he contract a rather nasty case of...er...interstellar herpies for lack of a better word? ;)

I was about to post on the shag harbour one but Naitaka has beat me to it!

Multiple independant witnesses, physical evidence as seen by the fishermen and a photograph!

unfortunately the fishermen didn't save any of the strange foam they encountered. But at the time everyone concerned thought they were dealing with a crashed aircraft and were more interested in finding survivors.

Kent

Belgium UFO Flap, early 1990's?

Photographic and Video evidence, Multiple witnessess and Radar tracking.

I think one of the best is the Miracle Of Fatima 'ufo'.
It was seen by mutiple witnesses...hundreds if I am not mistaken
and there were odors, angel hair, and the clothes of many of the
witnesses which were wet from rain dried mysteriously in the presence
of the 'ufo'. They saw a spinning silver/gold disc that they interpreted as
the sun doing tricks by God. And we had a classic contact with 3 kids
being contacted by an 'angel' that never identified itself as the Virgin Mary
by the way.
Based on all my years reading of various cases I have come to the not so
bizarre conclusion we are dealing with something other than nuts and bolts ufos.

Best ever? Mexico City for the last 10+ years. Lot's of nonsense about now - faked vid's, etc, but the original cases have never been explained. The eclipse events are usually put down to stars, but stars don't move or appear *beneath* clouds like these did. Over the years following the eclipse sightings there have been quite a number of other excellent incidents with all the right criteria.

I spoke to ATC (and the military and various police stations) in Mexico a few years ago about the sightings as a whole. Most were very happy to agree that something tangible was being seen that they couldn't explain. The ATC were actually very forthcoming and open about the whole flap. They described an incident where a passenger plane coming into land had hit something large and destroyed its nose wheels, and another handful of occassions where planes were buzzed by unknowns - both seen/unseen on radar. Probably 99% crap, but the 1% here is very compelling.

In terms of personal events I've got one that I haven't haerd any parallels to in the last 30 years of exploring ufology - has anyone else.

Summer, about midnight, Isle of Man. Viewing conditions good to excellent, no wind, little cloud. I saw a *cloud* of stars (perhaps about 15 or more, all very convincing as being real stars) move from NW to NE, covering the sky in about 8 seconds. Apparent size - an egg held about 18 inches away. Height impossible to judge, but it *seemed* to be about 200 feet up. There was a fog/filaments of light between each 'star', but overall it didn't seem as though there was an actual body to whatever it was, although it did obscure other stars in places.

Two months later I was using binoculars to set up my telescope and saw the same thing again moving in a different direction, although of course very briefly. The chances of me seeing the same thing are pretty astronomical I suppose, but I am an avid watcher.

Defnitely not birds - this was very obviously self-illuminated. Not meteors, planes, satellites...any other suggestions?

Nettinetti

Never mind best, how's this for worst? My own siting; drunk, new year's eve. Shouted 'look at that! Bloody Hell!' to my friend who went 'What?' and looked in the wrong direction before falling over some bins.

Said object crossed the night sky at a steady pace, was pulsating orange and after about 30 seconds, suddenly 'flared' and vanished. I can only imagine that it was a balloon on fire or something, but that explanation doesn't quite seem to gel.

Confession: I am enormously superstitious about this event and (rather pathetically) it took a lot to mention it here. It was almost immediately followed by some of the worst months of my entire life. My irrational side takes over and I find myself wondering if it was some kind of harbinger of doom...

Or just a paper bag on fire, as seen by a drunk.

BTW - the Zamora case still gets my vote. There were other sightings that night (none as good). Wasn't the symbol on the object later found out to be Arabic and representing Venus? Very suspicious, that bit. One wonders if he ever had anything else happen to him. Anyone aware of any follow up interviews etc?

I feel that the best evidence of an Ufo is in 1997 Phoenix Arizonia.
There was a massive mothership,3 pieces of footage of the UFO.
I doubt it was fake

Depends a lot what you mean by 'best UFO case' - I don't think there are any which prove (or even suggest credibly) that we're being visited by alien spacecraft. However, if you're looking for evidence that there are unexplained aerial phenomena that could be interpreted as alien craft, I'd nominate the Hesalden Project. Masses of footage of anomalous light forms that seem on occassion to interact with witnesses. Also the 'Foo Fighters' and 'Ghost Rockets' are interesting because they're fairly modern, got reasonably credible multiple witnessess, and occur before 'Flying Saucers' entered the cultural lexicon.

Older "UFO" Cases

Touching a bit on something mentioned in the previous posts - cases from before UFOs made a major impact on the public consciousness (which arguably "conatminated" the jury pool *S*) ... I have always found some of the older, but still relatively modern, sightings to be especially fascinating, precisely because (1) there is no issue with misidentification of aircraft and (2) there is no context for such sightings (witnesses had no frame of reference for flying saucers, greys, etc).

On the other hand, I do recognize that the standards for reporting were quite different - tall tales and the like were much more likely to be reported (or even CREATED) in the newspapers, so I suppose we have to take many of the older accounts with a grain of salt. This would apply to cases older than the "Mystery Rockets" and Foo Fighters, granted...

But mystery airships and the like have always held a special fascination for me, precisely because they DID occur before the notion of the flying saucer / alien visitor made a major splash...

Shadow

Amazing how most sightings are near American bases. The latest theory that flying triangles are US dirigibils, with stealth technology and can take massive payloads like lots of tanks and soldiers across oceans faster than ships and deliver the army faster and closer to the enemy sounds fairly convincing.

In 1952 over Washington DC-three radar towers report 'ufos'-airplanes flying into and out of DC report 'lights'/same time as radar reports-radar tower gets radar returns at same time 'lights' are seen by people in radar tower- jets chase lights 'seen' on radar from towers and seen on jets' radar and seen as 'lights' by pilots.......never explained-never happened again (ie. not "temperature inversions").....reports all over the country at military installations durning the same time -happened over three week period....military jets 'chasing' lights that were stationary and suddenly take off at tremendous speeds as soon as jet's radar 'locks on'.......picked -up 200 miles away/ then returning when miltary jets retreat.......
this was a massive demonstration by ET to the 'powers on Earth' .....
(haven't heard of other demonstrations around the world at this time-but there should be?.....

Yet again, the ETs seem to have a very vague idea about how display themselves to us humans. I instead of appearing over say, the Whitehouse in broad daylight, they instead choose to flit about at night playing catch-me-if-you-can. I don't find this convincing.

To be honest, I've still yet to be convinced by any UFO reports - altho' I do find them very interesting. Michelak's is intruiging, but we only have his word for what exactly happened. No-one seems to have dug up all the affidavits for the Saturn-shaped Brazilian UFO sighting. If the triangles are some sort of stealth platform, how come they apperently showed up on the radar of Belgian jet fighters sent to investigate them? Alot of the time these things seem to bring out more questions than answers ;)

Back