• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Bible Verse That Stops Bleeding

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Faith can be a wondrous thing for those who have it, and I'm a great admirer of those who do. Whilst looking at a post elsewhere today on urban legends, I stumbled upon this fascinating article from the Appalachian Magazine on the belief that reciting a particular verse from the Old Testament of the King James Bible three time could stem the flow of blood.

Of all the many homogenous elements of Appalachian superstition and custom is the belief in a mysterious “Blood Verse” from the Old Testament of the King James Version Bible.

To the average reader, Ezekiel 16.6 is believed to be the words of God to the abominable people of Jerusalem, in which He calls out the depravity of their sin:

And when I passed by thee, and saw thee polluted in thine own blood, I said unto thee when thou wast in thy blood, Live; yea, I said unto thee when thou wast in thy blood, Live. — Ezekiel 16:6

However, for centuries in the hills of Appalachia as well as in the Ozark Mountains, this one verse has been so much more — it’s not seen simply as a Bible verse, but viewed almost like a magical spell that is believed to stop hemorrhaging on animals and humans alike, the moment it is recited out loud three times, followed by the patient’s name.

According to commonly held superstition, once the verse has been recited three times and the person’s name is mentioned, the blood is immediately stopped; regardless of the person reciting the verse.

Source: http://appalachianmagazine.com/2019/10/18/mountain-lore-the-bible-verse-that-stops-bleeding/

Back