• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Big Orb Thread

What do you think 'Orbs' are?

• Nothing, just an artefact on the camera lens or lens flare.....

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • I dunno.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Might be something but I'd have to take pics of them myself before making up my mind....

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • They are extremely round ghosts.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Usually dust, water droplets, or the like, but you never know ...

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
This 'internal banding' is due to diffraction, producing what is known as an Airy Disk, named after the Victorian Astronomer Royal, George Biddell Airy. Because the object that is the source of the light is not perfectly point-like, this 'orb' has some interesting internal features.
index.php

Airy Disks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airy_disk
Rubinar-1000_plus_2x_K-1_telekonv_Airy_disk_1.jpg
I wonder if the inherent (single) frequency within 'pure light' have got something to do with the various ways of photo-capture from possibly multiple diffractions, or interferences, both before and after it passes through a lens?
https://www.behance.net/gallery/58970193/Pure-Light

This is my college encounter that I had a good number of years ago now when I was studying computing for a couple of years at a local Tech college.

I was in the process of studying Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) and after completing the course I was awarded with a bursary, so I stayed on for another year doing my own thing learning as much as I could on computer graphics.

On a pretty hot summers afternoon, in the library
(which is where the tech suite was) I was working away on a drawing project that demanded my full attention (not so easy when surrounded by some younger noisy students), when I happened to notice brighter light coming into view from my right as I faced the computer screen.

As I turned my head slightly to see what it was, I became aware that it was in fact a white round ball of light moving slowly across the room at about a couple of feet below ceiling height. It came across from the large windows side of the room and moved only gradually lifting up towards the left side of the room (on my left) and travelled right into the top corner of the ceiling and as it disappeared it made a fairly loud "bang" as it faded away through the corner of the ceiling leaving me very puzzled - as not one of the students surrounding where I was working seemed to have seen, or heard it.

After I finished studying for the day, I went up to the head of staff within the library recounting to her what I'd experienced during that afternoon, (half expecting her to act like she thought there might be something a bit "odd" with me), she unexpectedly told me that this had been reported to them on a number of occasions before which amazed me at the time. She also told me that there were men working above the library making changes to the electric wiring upstairs, but whether that had anything to do with it or not didn't seem to hold much relevance if in fact the same thing had occurred and been reported a number of times before.

So that was another encounter that I hadn't planned upon!

This is my college encounter that I had a good number of years ago now when I was studying computing for a couple of years at a local Tech college.

I was in the process of studying Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) and after completing the course I was awarded with a bursary, so I stayed on for another year doing my own thing learning as much as I could on computer graphics.

On a pretty hot summers afternoon, in the library
(which is where the tech suite was) I was working away on a drawing project that demanded my full attention (not so easy when surrounded by some younger noisy students), when I happened to notice brighter light coming into view from my right as I faced the computer screen.

As I turned my head slightly to see what it was, I became aware that it was in fact a white round ball of light moving slowly across the room at about a couple of feet below ceiling height. It came across from the large windows side of the room and moved only gradually lifting up towards the left side of the room (on my left) and travelled right into the top corner of the ceiling and as it disappeared it made a fairly loud "bang" as it faded away through the corner of the ceiling leaving me very puzzled - as not one of the students surrounding where I was working seemed to have seen, or heard it.

After I finished studying for the day, I went up to the head of staff within the library recounting to her what I'd experienced during that afternoon, (half expecting her to act like she thought there might be something a bit "odd" with me), she unexpectedly told me that this had been reported to them on a number of occasions before which amazed me at the time. She also told me that there were men working above the library making changes to the electric wiring upstairs, but whether that had anything to do with it or not didn't seem to hold much relevance if in fact the same thing had occurred and been reported a number of times before.

So that was another encounter that I hadn't planned upon!
The "disappearance with a bang" is a feature often reported in ball lightning. Maybe this was actually a ball lightning case?

I'm not sure whether this belongs here or in random and peculiar images.

One of last night's video clips showed about 8 seconds of a translucent 'orb' dancing about. I've slowed it to 30% speed in the second part of the Youtube clip. At around 25 seconds there is a faint 'beam' from the disc to the ground which is hard to see after Youtube has processed it. The camera uses infrared LED illumination so I suppose the 'beam' could be a reflection of the IR from the thing.
I haven't seen anything like it previously. Moths and other flying insects move in a more deliberate manner whereas this is a twitchy fairly constant shape with no sign of wing movement. It didn't appear in any other clips.

I think it's something dangling on a spiders web but would not like to testify in court to it.

I'm not sure whether this belongs here or in random and peculiar images.

One of last night's video clips showed about 8 seconds of a translucent 'orb' dancing about. I've slowed it to 30% speed in the second part of the Youtube clip. At around 25 seconds there is a faint 'beam' from the disc to the ground which is hard to see after Youtube has processed it. The camera uses infrared LED illumination so I suppose the 'beam' could be a reflection of the IR from the thing.
I haven't seen anything like it previously. Moths and other flying insects move in a more deliberate manner whereas this is a twitchy fairly constant shape with no sign of wing movement. It didn't appear in any other clips.

It doesn't look like the usual moth but @RaM 's something caught in a web sounds a good explanation. The badger doesn't seem bothered by it and there is a breeze blowing which the orb seems to be reacting to. Mind you it'll be a pretty tough orb/ghost/fairy to bother a badger :)

It probably is something on a web but there were six 20 second videos and this was the only one that showed it. The thermometer showed the temperature was 0° C last night so it was a hardy spider!

It probably is something on a web but there were six 20 second videos and this was the only one that showed it. The thermometer showed the temperature was 0° C last night so it was a hardy spider!
It'll be Jack Frost then. Haven't heard of him for years!

Yes, you can definitely see the 'foxed' light blur attachment to the bit of chaff or flotsam/bug, on the slowest pass.
Screenshot (393).png

Back