• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Burton Agnes Drum

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

Ancient chalk sculpture is 'most important prehistoric art'​

adrum001.jpg

"The Folkton drums have long remained a mystery to experts for well over a century, but this new example finally begins to give us some answers.
"To my mind, the Burton Agnes drum is even more intricately carved and reflects connections between communities in Yorkshire, Stonehenge, Orkney and Ireland. Analysis of its carvings will help to decipher the symbolism and beliefs of the era in which Stonehenge was constructed."
The barrel-shaped cylindrical sculpture is only the fourth of its kind known to have survived and still retains elaborate motifs purveying a British and Irish artistic style, which flourished at the time Stonehenge was built, curators said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-engla...6svhmK9aCqWYRVDkJnL9D2WH9RTKHM_YziMxlAzSBt3fQ

I saw the Folkton Drums in the British Museum last year. They were one of the objects on my revisit list when I went again last week, but are currently out on loan somewhere.

For all the fact that they are relatively simple objects, there's something quite magnetic about them.

Just for clarification: The image in Swfty's original post is of the Burton Agnes drum. The Folkton drums are similar, but have what appear to be stylised human faces on them.

Back