• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Case Of The UFOs

For future reference... this is also available to watch here:
https://archive.org/details/BBCHori...Horizon+-+s1982e14+-+The+Case+of+the+UFOs.avi

Horizon: The Case of the UFOs

BBC Two
Mon 18th Oct 1982, 21:30 on BBC Two England

Astronauts saw them on the way to the moon. Television screens across the world carried dramatic pictures of them on New Year's Eve 1978. Unidentified flying objects - UFOs - undoubtedly exist. The question is: what are they?

In most cases those who see UFOs are not mad or drunk, but responsible adults who are sincerely convinced that they have witnessed something very strange. And the sightings are not just visual - UFOs have been photographed, filmed and tracked on radar.

So are these sightings evidence of spacecraft from other worlds-or of something more down to earth? Tonight's programme examines some of the more classic UFO cases and comes up with at least one rather startling possibility.

I remember this being on in 1982. Quite a few big sceptical names in it, including Klass. Travis Walton featured.

A comedy take on the whole phenomenon from John Oliver.

It actually covers lots of the core cases and issues.

This one-off magazine may be of interest to Forteans although I’m guessing it’s not ultimate and is probably a rehash of everything you’ve seen before.
However, I feel I’d be neglecting my duty to inform you I clocked it in Sainsbury’s so maybe your local supermarket may still have an issue kicking about.

3D6FAF9F-1D43-4637-AE82-C79ECB102B27.jpeg

This one-off magazine may be of interest to Forteans although I’m guessing it’s not ultimate and is probably a rehash of everything you’ve seen before.
However, I feel I’d be neglecting my duty to inform you I clocked it in Sainsbury’s so maybe your local supermarket may still have an issue kicking about.

View attachment 76064
Very X-Files in layout but crikey, £14.99 for a load of copy and paste from t'internet? Doesn't even have a big name attached to it (e.g. Nick Pope's Ultimate...)

Bet you can pick up a copy here:

2516956738_f643fed76d.jpeg

Very X-Files in layout but crikey, £14.99 for a load of copy and paste from t'internet? Doesn't even have a big name attached to it (e.g. Nick Pope's Ultimate...)

Bet you can pick up a copy here:

View attachment 76088
But a lot of these Ultimate type of magazine things on sale in supermarkets are just the thing for younger children who are just coming into an interest in the subject. It might not be for the likes of us, but anything that engages the young generation in Forteana should be celebrated, no?

But a lot of these Ultimate type of magazine things on sale in supermarkets are just the thing for younger children who are just coming into an interest in the subject. It might not be for the likes of us, but anything that engages the young generation in Forteana should be celebrated, no?
yeah, fair point

[starts writing The Ultimate Guide to Ghosts]

Reminds me of a magazine I bought at WH Smith’s in the 60s - a similarly lurid cover and, allowing for inflation, a similarly lurid price. It contained a load of recycled and sensationalist stuff by the likes of Brad Steiger, but it helped kindle my imagination and an interest in Fortean topics that’s still going strong 55 years later.

Back