• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
The Chonchon is a Chilean/Argentinian folkloric creature. It takes the form of a human(typically masculine) head, typically with feathers in place of hair, and immense ears that serve as wings. It has a cry, sometimes given as "too-ay too-ay too-ay" and is vampiric by diet. It is the transformational form of a Kalku, which is a malign regional shaman/warlock figure.

Chon chon is also Mexican slang for sex; increasingly used in reference to anal sex. It is also Armenian slang for a little boy's penis.

Allgegedly a female healer shaman from the region could send her familiar to defeat a Chonchon. In order to repel chonchons, several methods are recommended. These include drawing a Solomon’s seal on the ground, laying out a waistcoat in a specified manner, or reciting certain phrases or hymns such as the Magnificat, the Doce Palabras Redobladas, “Saint Cyprian goes up, Saint Cyprian goes down, Saint Cyprian goes to the mountain, Saint Cyprian goes to the valley”, or “Jesus goes ahead, follow him behind”. Doing any of these actions forces the chonchón to leave, or even fall to the ground where it can be destroyed. If the headless body of a chonchón sorcerer is found, turning it onto its stomach prevents the chonchón from returning to it. Finally, a more humane means of dealing with a chonchón is to yell “Come back tomorrow for some salt!” The next day, the chonchon in its human guise will show up and sheepishly request the promised salt. Except perhaps for the last method, most interference with the ways of chonchons will eventually incur the revenge of the chonchon or its friends.

chonchon_by_darklestat-d6idxz1.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chonchon

https://abookofcreatures.com/category/argentina/

Being another form of flying head monster, this bears some similarity with the penanggalan.

Last edited:
...means of dealing with a chonchón is to yell “Come back tomorrow for some salt!” The next day, the chonchon in its human guise will show up and sheepishly request the promised salt...

This is quite possibly the best piece of evil-entity-related trivia that I have ever read. I sprayed my keyboard with G&T when I first read it last night, and it's just as brilliant today, sober.

This is quite possibly the best piece of evil-entity-related trivia that I have ever read. I sprayed my keyboard with G&T when I first read it last night, and it's just as brilliant today, sober.
It's certainly an original way to clean a keyboard.

It really gives the keys that extra shine.

Why salt though, in Europe salt is seen as having protective qualities. Is it for the value of it?

More to the point, why would it show up 24 hours later as a 'sheepish' human to collect it? Why not just demand it then and there, while in terrifying winged-head format? What happens if you give it sugar instead? Or throw the salt in its eyes?

Actually, I'm not sure I want any of it explained - it's the sheer randomness that I find so delightful.

How would it carry the salt home while being a winged head?
Headist.

Rodney Rude joke:
When young Head was born he was just a head. At the primary school swimming carnival, he was placed on the block for the relay. The gun popped, he jumped off and sunk straight to the bottom of the pool. When they fished him out they asked him what happened. "Fucken got a cramp".

How would it carry the salt home while being a winged head?

I'm not sure, but considering that it manages to fly around terrorising people without the aid of a cardiopulmonary system, it probably wouldn't be an issue. Maybe it could wedge baggies or foilwraps behind its ears?

In any case, I shall yell the same phrase at the next being (human or otherwise) who accosts me in a threatening manner. Ideally a chugger or market research bod in the High Street.

There is a painting by Austin Osman Spare that resembles reasonably the OP picture. It's called "The Vampires Are Coming"

austin-osman-spare-the-vampires-are-coming-170114.jpg

Also, the exercise of realting the same word on different cultural backgrounds can lead to bizarre malentendus... :)

Back