• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Cloverfield Films

ghostdog19 said:
definitely not. Ethan Haas Was Right is for a game called Alpha Omega.
BUMP!

Sorry to wake you all. I was just channel-hopping last Saturday, when I came across a Sitcom on E4 called The Class. I admit I didn't watch it all, so if fireballs started dropping from the sky towards the end of the first episode, I missed it. I doubt it though, somehow. Although amusing enough, it was a perfectly conventional sitcom, as described HERE by Wiki, and elsewhere, on IMDB and so on.

Anyway, the point is that this sitcom's main character (or one of them at least) is called Ethan Haas, which kind of ties in with JJ Abram's assertion that the Haas websites have nothing to do with his movie. What they do have to do with, I have no idea. I'd suggest re-splitting this thread, but we don't really need a thread on The Class, do we? Not if there's no fire raining from the heavens in it, anyway!

Anyone have a clue what's going on here (or even what I'm talking about)?

S'up.

Et voila.

1390694335_f85169d353_b.jpg

That so looks like a drawing of a guy in a rubber suit.

Anome_ said:
That so looks like a drawing of a guy in a rubber suit.

Its funny that you're saying that, because it was the expressed intention of the artist, to recreat an old fashioned monster.

That's OK then, because there's a grand cinematic tradition of large men in rubber suits - maybe they can get James Arness, Peter Mayhew or Richard Kiel (assuming any of them are still alive) to don the whale costume?

"Don the Whale"? Wasn't he in Goodfellas? Sorry.

Oh, and Iggore, you couldn't make that picture ever so slightly smaller, could you? Only my 53" monitor hasn't arrived yet.

Its noted. I will do it later today, I'm at school right now.

We saw the trailer when we went to see Beowulf last weekend, and it looked like it might actually have a decent premise for a giant-monster-attacks movie. All the shaky camcordings and Blair Witch immediacy, if they can maintain it, could keep the monster sufficiently vague as to remain frightening, and the different POVs of cobbled-together documentary footage could keep it off the old inevitable plot rails.

That'd be cool, if I could stave off camcorder-stomach.

PeniG said:
We saw the trailer when we went to see Beowulf last weekend, and it looked like it might actually have a decent premise for a giant-monster-attacks movie. All the shaky camcordings and Blair Witch immediacy, if they can maintain it, could keep the monster sufficiently vague as to remain frightening, and the different POVs of cobbled-together documentary footage could keep it off the old inevitable plot rails.

That'd be cool, if I could stave off camcorder-stomach.
I think that's the rub - the idea of the film sounds great, but two hours of shaky camera work is going to have me reaching for the headache pills or the sickbag, I'm sure. That said, the concept of Cloverfield is interesting enough that I'll probably check it out, but make sure to dose up on Ibuprofen before I go.

Actually sorry to burst your bubble but the above picture of the whale monster is from a separate contest that someone else held for people to submit their theories as to what the monster was. But I have seen the small snippet of the monster from the newest trailer slowed down and steadied and the legs look very crustacean-like, much like the legs of the large lice on the side of the picture.

Peripart said:
ghostdog19 said:
definitely not. Ethan Haas Was Right is for a game called Alpha Omega.
BUMP!

Sorry to wake you all. I was just channel-hopping last Saturday, when I came across a Sitcom on E4 called The Class. I admit I didn't watch it all, so if fireballs started dropping from the sky towards the end of the first episode, I missed it. I doubt it though, somehow. Although amusing enough, it was a perfectly conventional sitcom, as described HERE by Wiki, and elsewhere, on IMDB and so on.

Anyway, the point is that this sitcom's main character (or one of them at least) is called Ethan Haas, which kind of ties in with JJ Abram's assertion that the Haas websites have nothing to do with his movie. What they do have to do with, I have no idea. I'd suggest re-splitting this thread, but we don't really need a thread on The Class, do we? Not if there's no fire raining from the heavens in it, anyway!

Anyone have a clue what's going on here (or even what I'm talking about)?

Yea, the whole ethan haas thing just had great timing and nothing more. It is for a completely unrelated project and using the name Ethan Haas was a coincidence or incredibly good marketing. The whole reason these two projects got connected is because the original trailer came out and the ethan haas site opened at nearly the same time. And Abrams created The Class and thus created the original character of Ethan Haas.

I have finally stopped obsessing about this project and it has become rather refreshing to look at all that's out there without trying to decipher everything. When it comes out I'll go see it and if it sucks then I can laugh at all of the people who dumped so much of their lives into finding some deeper meaning behind this.

Iggore said:
Whats the deal with Slusho anyway??? Its been bugging me.

http://slusho.suburbohemia.com/index.php?title=Slusho

Slusho's really just a fictional drink that abrams puts into his projects just as sort of a wink to his fans (just like tarantino and "red apple" cigarettes).

It's supposed to be a frozen slush drink like a slurpee.

However some theories have popped up that in the movie it will be found that something in the Slusho is going to cause the monsters to attack. Maybe the secret ingredient is the eggs of the monster and they grow inside the people. Who knows, there's only just over a month left until we fully know.

My theory is that slusho is a real product that'll be comming out following the movie, movie who's just a big giant ads for the drink.

I went after work and saw cloverfield today. Absolutely amazing. This is what every monster movie should strive to be. The jerky camera actually makes you feel like you're in the thick of it. The monster is rather secondary to the story of just trying to survive. This feels more like a disaster movie. Speaking of the monster, I won't spoil it but I will say that it isn't anything that all of the rumors and speculation made it out to be. I will however say that any film junkie that sees this will automatically think of at least 3 different movies that noticeably inspired the monster's look.

This forum needs a review. There's a few light unimportant spoilers in the second paragraphe, and a significant spoiler in the last paragraphe. But otherwise, anybody can read it. Just be careful in the last paragraphe.

This film does two things; its filmed with a hand-held digital camera, and two, nothing is explained about the monster. So if you can deal with those two facts, you will be able to enjoy the film for what it is, because it works, it deliver. Those who didnt enjoyed the movie didnt because of those two facts.

There's two or three cringe-worthy corny moments, like when they "agree" about going after Beth despite the idea being pure insane nonesense; any sane persone would have ditched Rob for the crazy loser he is. Also, when they arrive at the broken appartment-tower: Beth was probably dead by now, but her appartment is ****ing about to fall. Going to fetch her all the way to the top was just loving insane.

But there's also plenty of action, military vs the monster battles, death and gore and suspense. There's also some pretty badass scenes involving fighter planes.

I loved how the monster seemed to be hunted down, frightened and lost, it added a lot of realism to the beast. You never actualy see it fight agressivly; it just stumble about, being pissed and bombed.

How it could survived that much firepower is never explained, its almost supernatural. It doesnt have a shell or armored skin. But I guess thats necessary.

While it is never said the creature comes from space, at the end of the movie, when the tape switch to the beach scene, look carefully; you can see something fall into the sea, at the right of the screen. During the viral marketing campaign, Tagruato, the compagny that manifacture "Slusho", is said to have been tracking a "satellite" that feel into the Atlantic Ocean.

Slusho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Cloverfield incarnation of Slusho! is a subsidary of Tagruato, a fictional Japanese drilling company. Its role may be foreshadowed, if not given away entirely, in the history of the drink on the Slusho! official website. Here it is revealed that Slusho! contains an ingredient "discovered on the deep ocean floor, under amazing pressure and in the most extreme cold."[1]

And finaly, here's an animated gif from the monster for those too curious, taken at the end of the movie, before
Hud gets killed
. The quality is bad because its a digital camera shot from a movie filmed with a small digital camera, plus in that scene, the monster breath into the lense, so its rather fuzy. Also, it doesnt really move that fast, its just a crappy gif.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/ ... 569259.gif

SOME SPOILERS !!!!

Hugely entertaining monster movie - and as a fan of monster movies, I mean that as a compliment. One of the best comments I have read captured it perfectly - if you are a fan of "giant monster" movies at all, you KNOW that, somewhere, all the scenes you have seen in other monster movies are taking place - some cigar chewing General wanting to nuke NYC early on, some scientist trying to figure our the monster's origins and weakenesses, some heroic fighter pilot or tank commander being sent out on a suicide mission versus the rampaging "thing"... but you won't see any of that here. This movie is told wholly from the point of view of someone caught int he city during a monster attack..what would that be like? Confusing and scary and weird and... well, you get the idea.

As to the monster itself... many of the Fortean things we discuss here rely on eyewitness testimony. It is fascinating to see what people think the monster looks like, after they have seen this movie. You get a lot of looks at the monster, but most often you see pieces of it, or see it in motion, etc. So while you see a LOT of it... it isn't so easy to assemble those pieces into a coherent whole (esp with no basic model as a frame of reference!). I have found a number of sketched online, drawn by people after the movie... certain elements are shared by most, and certain others differ WILDLY. Again, tells you a bit about eyewitnesses...

A lot of fun, a giant monster thrillride from a unique perspective. For me, definitely delivered on all the hype...

Shadow

PS - If you can, stay for the music that plays over the end credits. If you are a fan of Godzilla and company, or the Beast from 20000 Fathoms, etc, you will have to smile when you hear the great "theme" that plays. Definitely evoked the spirit of those giant monster movies of the past....

We went to see this yesterday and it seriously did not suck. Normally the only way I can get through a blockbuster monster or disaster movie is to play the "Prediction" game, using my knowledge of genre and screenwriting conventions to spot who dies in what order at which point in the movie, guess how the next upcoming plot point will manifest, and in extreme cases (and I try only to do this when forced to watch one of these on TV) chant dialog half a beat before the character. These things bore me witless.

Probably the nicest compliment I can give it is that, even though in a lot of ways it hits all the conventional spots - I never played this game once. I knew what they were going to see when they turned the night vision on in the tunnel, but that's not the same thing at all.

The opening sequence goes on too long, but keep your ears open for the Godzilla hoot, which all the characters ignore. I had some moments of difficulty suspending my disbelief about the camera surviving (that's one good camera). And I could tell Nokia had paid for product placement. But I was scared and that's the point.

The first view of the monster might have been smoke.

This is the wave of the future. Like The Host and Shaun of the Dead, this is a movie made by someone who has realized that we all know the plot of the movie, and the only way to make us care now is to take it to the street and deal with the 9/11 confusion of the people on the scene. And this is how Hollywood does that deal.

When the credits rolled, I turned to Damon and said: "If I am ever in a disaster area, probably dying, and the emergency services guys tell you to turn around - turn around! Don't come after me!"

"Why?" He said.

"Because if I die and you live, you can publish the books I have waiting to go and it'll all be the same. If we both die, we're just dead."

"No promises."

"C'mon. You know you wouldn't be coming alone - there's always a party going to the rescue, and the only people who have any hope of winning through are the lovers. So even if you and I lived, [listing off our gaming group friends] would die. I'm not worth all that!"

"How about we just not get separated in the disaster area?"

"Yeah, that's probably the best plan."

I enjoyed the fact that, to me, this was a fresh but AFFECTIONATE take on a genre that I loved as a kid... the "GIANT MONSTER" movie. I have a hard time believing that any of the creative folks behind this movie have anything but fond memories of Godzilla, Gorgo, the Beast from 20000 Fathoms, etc. They didn't seek to ape any of those movies, but they also certainly aren't sneering at them or mocking them. This movie plays it straight, but brings a fresh perspective....

Shadow

Basically what other people on here have said. It's well worth catching at the cinema. Plus, i'm really pissed off i didnt read the earlier post about watching the beach shot at coney island to see "something" fall into the sea, before i went to see it last night. That means i'll have to go and watch it again. 8/10

really impressed by it, like TMS I didn't see anything fall in the sea at the very end (there was what looked like an oil-tanker style boat off the beach though, was that bringing it back?). The filming style reminded me of Blair Witch - but you did get to see the monster in this, even if the last shot of it was a little disappointing, I'd have preferred it to keep to the very brief shots from earlier in the film.

Ditto to Peni on the camera, and the helicopter pilot deserved it - when there's a massive monster trashing the city and getting bombs dropped on it you don't go for a closer look surely, you'd go away from it?

Probably needs a thread title change now, as a "blood relative of Cloverfield" is on the way...
Producer JJ Abrams has issued a statement to Collider, saying the following:

“The idea came up a long time ago during production. We wanted to make it a blood relative of Cloverfield. The idea was developed over time. We wanted to hold back the title for as long as possible.”

http://www.slashfilm.com/10-cloverfield-lane-trailer-cloverfield-2/

Looks interesting, without being able to work out what the heck's going on. Nice to see John Goodman, though, and that he's put a bit of weight back on - he looked a bit weird a couple of years ago.

Goodman lives? He deserves a thread of his own. What a guy. What a talent. Coens' best friend, but so much more. Great on TV - Rosanne Barr's show. Love Big John. He must be close to his first triple bypass though.

Goodman lives? He deserves a thread of his own. What a guy. What a talent. Coens' best friend, but so much more. Great on TV - Rosanne Barr's show. Love Big John. He must be close to his first triple bypass though.
Yeah, I keep thinking he's died.
Oh sh*t...I just Googled him. Bad things happen when I Google people. :eek:

Yeah, I keep thinking he's died.
Oh sh*t...I just Googled him. Bad things happen when I Google people. :eek:

Various calorifically enhanced actors who look like him have died.

Kindly desist from googling peoplke!

Mytho, why don't you predict that a well-known portly and bearded actor will live a long and happy life? That sort of thing seems to be doing the trick for you...

Mytho, why don't you predict that a well-known portly and bearded actor will live a long and happy life? That sort of thing seems to be doing the trick for you...
I predict that Brian Blessed will become immortal! :D

Back