• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Colour Of Our Universe

Pete Younger

Venerable and Missed
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Scientists say they have discovered the colour of the universe, it turns out to be a shade of turquoise, which just happens to be the background colour of my dining room wallpaper, so dont tell me I have poor taste, the universe says otherwise.:spinning

Au Contraire, it just shows you're "common as muck!" :p

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99991775

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4333969,00.html
===========================
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=11533814&method=full

TURQUOISE...I TOLD HUE SO SAYS ICKE
By Ruki Sayid

David Icke said "I told you so" yesterday after turquoise was named the universe's main colour.

The ex-Coventry City goalkeeper and Grandstand presenter, 48, was ridiculed for a turquoise shellsuit he wore on TV which "brought him closer to god".

Now scientific research has finally agreed with him and he's having the last laugh.

The self-styled prophet, said: "Turquoise is a very significant colour. An expert says it is the very base colour of the universe.

"If a scientist from Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, says it, he's credible. If an ex-television presenter says it 11 years earlier, he's crazy.

"Karl Glazebrook, talks of a colour being a wavelength. This is the point I made in 1991."

Turquoise-the colour of creation!?

Of course, that's it!

That explains why the fluff in my belly-button is always light blue!:D

rynner said:
Au Contraire, it just shows you're "common as muck!" :p
Oi you, I'll ave you know I used to be very stylish with my Tony Curtis haircut, bet you were a teddy boy with those 2 inch crepe sole shoes, sunshine yellow socks and flourescent tie.:blah:

universal color

Ah but, me arties, according to them the human I is more sensitive to green than purple and so it will be greenish/blue if we cud c it. And as we all get older the no. of dwarfs will increase and we all know dwarves wear red so the color will be come red!

Originally posted by Justin Anstey

"If a scientist from Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, says it, he's credible. If an ex-television presenter says it 11 years earlier, he's crazy.

This reminds me of what happened recently when certain scientists said the reddish nature of Europa could be due to life. Hoagland said it almost 20 years ago I think and he was laughed at.

universal color

They grow all over the place down here, and so do lichens.....very tasty! Best boiled in a teapot said the mad hatter. The sky is pretty clear here - when it's not foggy, which is often - and it just looks black to me

I love the way Icke has transformed his wearing of a turquoise shell suit into a statement about the averaged colour of the universe. But he's got it wrong. It was I wore turquoise shaded clothing back in 1975 at a church. So I predicted the colour of everything.

mushrooms

Sorry for the intrusion of a bit of Discworld. I meant that when the universe was young the stars were large and blue, as more stars reach old age and become red dwarves, then the colour should shift towards red & Mr Icke will be out of fashion!

"Karl Glazebrook, talks of a colour being a wavelength. This is the point I made in 1991."

I think this point had been made well before 1991. It's pretty basic physics that the colour of light is a wave length.

I have to confess to being sceptical - Bill Gates has influenced this opinion, after all, the default background colour on Windows is turquoise!

Carole

Oh My Gawd, you're not saying the universe is a Windows (tm ) program????? Then at any minute we might find ourselves in the "blue screen of death"!!!! :cross eye

Well, well, well...

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_538605.html?menu=news.quirkies

As it turns out the magic colour isn't turquiose after all.

[Emp edit: Link is dead so I've scooped up the article from the web archive:

Universe is beige - not turquoise

Scientists who said the average colour of the universe is turquoise now say it is beige.

They have done their calculations again because their original work used the wrong shade of white.

The assistant professor who led the research says he is embarrassed by the error.

In January, Ivan Baldry and Karl Glazebrook, of John Hopkin's University in Maryland, said that if the universe was viewed from a great distance it would appear turquoise.

They determined the colour by combining light from over 200,000 galaxies.

A computer program should have converted the actual cosmic spectrum into the colour the human eye would see but a bug in it gave them the wrong reading.

Colour experts at University of Rochester in New York spotted the problem and pointed out their software was taking a slightly pink looking colour as white.

Mr Glazebrook told New Scientist: "I'm very embarrassed. I don't like being wrong."

Hope that helps xplain what everyone was talking about ;) ]

Last edited by a moderator:
RATS!

Now I shall have to replace my WHOLE wardrobe...

its eggshell.

Science toutes itself as investigating the wonders that compose everything that we know and its bloody off-white.

punychicken said:
its eggshell.

Science toutes itself as investigating the wonders that compose everything that we know and its bloody off-white.

Sh1t! The whole thing's Magnolia!

What a nondescript nonchalant nonentity!

I blame those crap Changing-Rooms type programmes!:)

The Universe is Beige. Most Computers are Beige.
Coincidence or Conspiracy?

Mike P said:

duuude! its like the universe is like one big computer man! and like, man! we are like totally like these bits and bytes all like totally flying round everywhere making up some like big galatic computer game.

*passes dutchie*

Seems the colour of the universe has been updated.
Repainting The Universe: Now It's Beige. Maybe...

The universe has come in for a color correction, and home decorators may approve.
Astronomers who announced in January that they'd determined the color of the universe will publish a paper on their broader results in April. When they do, the footnote describing the color of the universe finding will cite beige, not the originally announced turquoise.

"It's our fault for not taking the color science seriously enough," said an apologetic Karl Glazebrook, an assistant professor of astronomy in the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences at The Johns Hopkins University. "I'm very embarrassed. I don't like being wrong, but once I found out I was, I knew I had to get the word out." ...

http://unisci.com/stories/20021/0308023.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike P said:

Mine's blue. :spinning

Jane.

Ahem, but...er..isn't the universe...kind of...really dark?

It's all a matter of definition is it not? I mean, are they saying the entire unbounded universe is beige, or just the minute part of matter that happens to shine?

I'll go with the Universe being a Lighter Shade of...Dark. :)

mejane said:
Mine's blue. :spinning

Jane.

Would that be your universe, or your computer?

Or are you merely lowering the tone of this thread? (And creating some strange mental images? :D )

Lowering the tone is what **WE** do best :eek:

Jane.

Interesting it is Pete. There's already a thread here

Maybe we should keep one for serious discussion rather than chat (yes, yes I know - guilty as charged ;) )

Jane.

Back