• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Connection Between Easter Island, Olympus Mons & Jupiter

A

Anonymous

Perhaps someone can help me.

I recall reading somewhere that Easter Island, Mars' Olympus Mons volcano crater and the centre of Jupiter's Great Red Spot all lie on the same general longitude and latitude.

Easter Island is small, and easily locatable.

However, Olympus Mons is the largest volcano in the solar system, and its crater is huge. The centre of it would be difficult to pinpoint.

Jupiter's Great Red Spot is many times the size of Earth. It's centre would also be huge.

However, there must be some way to compare the sizes and overlay longitude and latitude, perhaps by simply dividing Mars and Jupiters' equator by twenty four and putting in long and lat markings.

Anyone help me out here?

And can anyone suggest other planets and moons that have other similar features to these? I know that Neptune also has a spot, and other plants might. Any ideas?

So now he's an expert on Jupiter

I can’t answer for Mons Olympus and Easter Island, but the Red Spot has no fixed latitude or longitude. So to fit into this theory you need to very very flexible as to what constitutes "same as". Not only its exact location (always Southern hemisphere), but its size and shape as well as shade can change – pretty radically. To keep with the high literary standards as set by your tag line, the Great Red Spot is a movable feast.

I will now procede to lose you, gentle reader, by reciting dry and ultimately uninteresting facts about the Great Red Spot (which reminds me of a series of 80’s Gorbachov jokes - as well as what the wife calls the reminder of an unfornutate birthday wine accident on the rug):

This Great Red Spot is more than 300 years old. The long lifetime of the Red Spot is theorized to be due the fact that since Jupiter is a gaseous planet, the storm's energy never dissaptes like it would on earth. The Great Red Spot is the largest known storm in the Solar System. Its a maximum measured diameter is over 15,000 miles, which is almost twice the size of the entire Earth. It can be blood red, to pinkish in color.

There is DEM (digital elevation map) data of Olympus Mons provided by NASA. It they've mapped it then it stands a good chance that they know it's lat and long. A good chunk of Mars data was included on the old Vistapro CD including a zoomable map. If you want a walk round OM get a world rendering package

http://www.vistapro.co.uk/terrain.htm

and download the DEM of the volcano. If you can't find it mail me and I'll send it you.

Isn't Olympus Mons about the size of Texas? Surely the fact that it's apparent position overlaps with a strange island on earth isn't that mysterious. If it covers a large enough area it could be anywhere on mars surface and you could correlate it with a mysterious site on earth. I would, however, be impressed if they found some Moai on top of Olympus Mons. That would be interesting.

Richard 'Face on Mars' Hoagland has a theory about this. He notes that Olympus Mons, the Hawaiian volcanoes, the Red Spot of Jupiter, the White Spot of Neptune, and most sunspots appear at about 19.5 degrees north or south latitude. (We can't apply longitude to other planets because unlike the equator, the Greenwich meridian is an arbitrarily selected baseline.)

Hoagland's 'embedded tetrahedral model' theory is here:
http://www.lunaranomalies.com/Message.htm
Link is dead see post below for current access to this content.

Eyeball warning: this page is long and very difficult to read, because of the font and colour scheme.

I'm always wary of proposals like this. Like 'sacred geometry', if you look hard enough you can find patterns that match any shape or angle that you think is important.

As for the Red Spot, sunspots, etc., their location is probably governed by atmospheric dynamics, just as hurricanes on earth appear mostly in certain latitudes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mercury is peppered with craters, but these were caused by external forces, and so cannot be anything like sacred geometry (unless those meteors were predestined to strike where they did...)

Most of the planets are seismically and meteorologically active, and so their featuers are constantly changing. Darn, we might have missed the exact same feature on all the planets and moons at the same equivalent longitude and latitude!

As Naitaka says, longitude is purely arbitrary: the Greenwich meridian was selected as zero degrees longitude at an international conference in 18-something. If the conference had chosen Washington or Paris or elsewhere, the longitude of Easter Island would work out differently.

As for Mars, I guess the International Astronomical Union or NASA (or possibly the USGS) decided the origin for longitudes.

So any correlation between features on different planets can only involve latitude

...unless something is beaming ideas into our minds to MAKE us choose certain reference systems.... Nah!

The link in post #5 is long dead, and so is the webpage to which it led. That link led to a web presentation of Hoagland and Toran's 1989 essay 'The Message from Cydonia'. The original webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080329021434/http://www.lunaranomalies.com/Message.htm

Below is the essay's table of latitude figures (excerpted and edited for space efficiency) for selected planetary features within our solar system.

Hoagland-Cydonia-LatLongs.jpg

Back