• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Doll That Crawled

A

Anonymous

Hannah A

When I was about 4-5yrs old, I used to stay over at my Gran's house quite a bit. When I would sleep over my gran would share the bed with me in the spare room. I remember on a few of these occasions taking a doll with me. There was nothing unusual about the doll, a regular plastic flesh coloured doll. What was unusual is that I was more of a tomboy and would normally have either a battered brown bear called Bobtail or an equally battered bean filled rabbit, imaginativley called Beany...

http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/dolly.shtml

Link is dead. See post below for complete text.

Last edited by a moderator:
May it be that you ahd a recuring dream somehow sparked by being in that house?

The doll could mearly have been moved by your moving in the bed.

When I was very young, under six I mean, I was able to see creatures moving around on my dresser at night. All I had to do was begin to imagine I saw them moving, and it looked like they were.
I often had trouble distinguishing what my imagination created and what really was "real" (probably still do, thus my interest in things fortean); I suspect this is true for many children.

My mother has told me about a Raggedy-Ann doll that she saw walk when she was a little girl. When she would stay at her Granny's house, from her window she could see onto the porch. Once (maybe more than once - I don't remember) she said that this Raggedy-Ann got off of the swing and walked across the porch.

I have few, what I would refer to as, irrational fears. One of these are Dolls, not all dolls, but there are some dolls that are just creepy! When I was in college I started dateing this woman, things were going along fine - until she invited me back to her hometown to visit and meet her family. As soon as I walked into her house, I knew there was a major problem! Aligned along the walls, row after row, Dolls! Hundreds of Dolls! I have to say that that was a major reason that we stopped seeing each other.

The other big scary in my opinion is Clowns!! Man, Clowns! What's that all about?

Clowns indeed.
Anything that is almost human, especially when created specifically for "fun." There is something sinister in the attempt at reproducing a happy human.

Strange clowns AND dolls (sort of) here: http://www.contrition.net/lemmons

Ventrilaquist (spl?) dolls. *Major shudder* Spitting Image puppets *EARTHQUAKE SHUDDER* :eek!!!!: Baring seeing dolls walking, did anyone else experance anything untoward with their toys as kids? Maybe it's a childs way of dealing with certain emotions, like love, fear and anger? I say that because I specificaly remember a particular doll of mine I thought was evil!! :) My mum tried to get me to play with the doll in the bath, but, as soon as she went out of the room, I ran out and threw her across the hallway! I don't remember when these feelings started or why, or where I even got that doll from. I just remember her watching me...with those evil eyes! ;) :)

evil dolls

I wonder if anybody else saw the Hammer House of Horror (at least I think it was) episode in the mid 70's which involved a possessd doll. I rememer watching it around the age of 7 - not normally the sort of thing I was allowed to watch but luckily my parents were out for the evening and the babysitter let me watch.

It obviously made a big impression because when my parents came home they were more than a little surprised to find me jumping up and down on my favourite dolly yelling die die!

I think there were a number of 'possessed' doll and toy programmes around that time and maybe that has created a generation of people scared of the evil plastic ones!

Dolls that come alive.....

...with glowing red eyes and sharp teeth....well ok..maybe not,but dolls,ventriliquist (sp) dummies, and mannequins are creepy as hell in my book...clowns...ehhh..no big deal..

Just too many Twilight Zone/ Night Gallery episodes about evil toys when I was a child I guess.;)

I was allowed to watch Barbarella at a very young age ( certainly before I was 10 ) . I never really like dolls anyway , but that was the final straw .

Re: evil dolls

Lux said:
I wonder if anybody else saw the Hammer House of Horror (at least I think it was) episode in the mid 70's which involved a possessd doll. I rememer watching it around the age of 7 - not normally the sort of thing I was allowed to watch but luckily my parents were out for the evening and the babysitter let me watch.

....Would that be the one with the fetish? possibly called "Charlie Boy" - it seemed to kill all its owners - I remember a woman going through a windscreen in a car crash, and the last owner falling on the doll, to be pierced by all the nails sticking out of it. Creeped me out at seven, too!

Couldn't your grandmother just have moved the doll during the night because she thought you might roll on it or something. You might have woken up once when your grandmother was moving it and just thought it was moving by itself.

Fantasy Island spooky ventriloquist dummy[/COL

Does anyone remember in the late 70's- the Fantasy Island where a ventriloquist doll came alive and tried to take over her master's life? I was 6-ish when I saw it, but that still scares the crap out of me. Just remembering that episode is scary. Chucky can take a back seat, this ventriloquist dummy became her owner's twin and tried to take over her life, shrinking in time to do her job, but then fighting with her "twin" It's a very freaky one, to be certain

Re: Fantasy Island

Saw this one on SciFi a few months ago. It's with Annette Funicello (who did a lot of 50s beach movies) as the ventriloguist. If I remember correctly, she feels her dummy (a sassy woman) is taking over her life and personality, so her fantasy is to have it become a person so she can deal with it as something external to herself. Once it's been turned into a real woman, the dummy does not revert to its woodenness until the end, but instead goes out and seduces one or more men, I think including Annette's character's boyfriend / fiance. Possibly the creepiest bit is when the "dummy" does a ventriloquist show, with Annette's character sat on her knee as the dummy :eek:

Delbert's sci-fi dummy

That sounds very familiar to what I remembered, except the dummy did go back and forth: from being a "real" woman seducing her masters' fiance, among other men... to being a dummy when her master was present. It had a bizarre scene where the ventriloquist catches "the other woman" in the act, who turns into the little doll wearing the same lingerie the life-size "dummy" wore. Pretty freaky. Maybe I was on acid or something (haha) Seriously, though, are we remembering the same thing? I don't remember Annette Funicello (from the Mickey Mouse Club?) in that role... but who knows?

On the subject of dolls etc in movies, I remember seeing an odd film a few years ago called "Pin" about a sort of life size, anatomically correct, educational mannequin/dummy used to show children the various bodily systems.

It's treated as a real person and those around it begin to believe that it really is. (or somthing like that :)

It's been years since i've seen it but there is one quite amusing scene where a nurse (the dummy belonged in a doctors surgery) was "intimate" with ol' Pin. *TeeHeeHee* :)

If anyone is interested

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0095871

Could this have been a hypnagogic dream?

I have these a couple of times a year. I have a slight fear of spiders, and sometimes I dream that my bed is over-run with really nasty tarantulas etc. I wake up in a sweat and I can *still* see them as they were in my dream.

Now, when I say I can "see" them... my brain sees them and is projecting their "presence" onto my vision, although my eyes aren't actually seeing them. It's a strange thing to explain...

When it happens I am sure the spiders are there and I'm very fearful. If I *leap* out of bed, to try and dodge as many as possible and switch on the light so I can see properly my brain first realises they are not actually visible and then it comes up with an "excuse" making me believe they must have hidden quickly, so I will start looking for them for a couple of minutes (under the duvet, under the bed etc) until my brain finally figures out the whole thing was a mistake and that I am actually awake. Then I feel *very*, *very* stupid indeed for leaping across my room and searching for beasts which don't exist!

> Chaz <

I have had quite a few dreams like that.. My wife experiences them fairly often as well.

Actually, hers sometime end up with me being woken up as well. For example, the night she shook me awake and informed me of the several large, hairy spiders she saw on the outside of the blankets on my side of the bed. This caused me to jump out of bed, search franticly for the spiders, realize it was just one of those weird dreams, then slowly get back into bed.. I have an odd, unnatural fear of spiders in my bed for some reason. This made it quite hard for me to fall back asleep again, but I eventually did.

The next morning, there actually was a rather large, hairy spider crawling on the ceiling directly above my bed.

Talk about Creepy!

As far as the dolls go, ventroliquist dummies are by far the worst.. As I child, i remember looking into the crawlspace beneath my grandmothers house, and I could have sworn I saw the head of a ventroliquist spinning around then turn to look at me. Ever since that time, I have developed quite a fear of them, and will not go near my grandmothers crawl space any more.

feedback from the original poster!

doubt anyone looks at this thread anymore, but heres what i think of the various replies.

Yes it could be some sort of wierd reoccuring dream, but why only in that room? ( i ve never liked that room sice the wierdness, i eventuallly had to live in it for a few years when a teenager, i am badly arachnophobic, and i always seemed to find loads of big nasty spiders there, one so big a coffee cup would not cover it! I have never found so many spiders in anyother room i ve inhabited)

i ve never been a dolly type girl (transformers for me!) so i don t know why i took the thing to my grans in the first place?

Also my mother wanted me to be more of a girly girl, so why did she choose to give away the one doll i had shown some attachment to?

I recently found out my dad used to be in an occult group before i was born. Dolls seem to be popular in voodoo and stuff so maybe it was some freaky stuff connected to my dads meddling with the unknown.

any more ideas? none of your replies so far seem right!

I have a friend who's brother used to see a cowboy on a horse ride out of a cupboard at his gran's house. Why do these things always happen at a grandparents house?:confused:

I have never liked dolls myself, never been scared (though china dolls are sinister, and Shane, I too went in a womans house that was chock full of them...screams) just never found them lovable. I prefer cuddly animals, always had a bed full of them (plus plastic dinos...I laughed my head off at that stilly movie, `jurassic Park` How could a dino be scary?) I still have one in my bed at night, and I know for sure Im not the only person who never grew out of them.

I have a theory that its my disinterest in dolls that means now I have no interest in real babies.

My mother had a huge doll collection that enthralled all the little girls in the family. She built it up after I was an adult and the house was crammed with dolls. When she died we gave some to a children's hospital, others to the local museum.
I never found them creepy.

However, look at realdoll.com and see what you think of those. They are lifesized, semi-robotic replicas of adult women and men using the latest Hollywood special effects technology. Needless to say what their purpose is. Does anyone find these creepy?:eek!!!!:

Yeah, I saw Real Dolls on a TV show (Disinfo Nation, I think) and they are creepy. Interesting use of the word "real".

I suppose the next step is making them move. Or maybe the point is that they don't move?

we know belief is a powerful thing, could a childs unconditional belief in something some how cause it to real? What is real anyway?

Just seems a lot of wierd stuff happens when people are young and beliefs are not fully formed.

Pocket-sized Horses

Dunno how much relevance this may have on the situation, though it may have provided the basis for the imagery if the horse and rider visions were hypnogogic/imaginary experiences rather than something even stranger.

In the late 70's and early 80's (and possibly earlier, but I can't speak from experience there) there was a brand of dog food here in the States called Chuck Wagon with an ad campaign featuring a miniature covered wagon that would materialize from a closed cupboard, race around the kitchen, then pass back through the cupboard door - all the while being chased by the family dog. Of course, I dunno if they even sold this brand in the UK, but if the commercials made it over the pond, it could explain why someone would have a vision of a mounted cowboy riding through solid objects.

Unless, of course, these anecdotes weren't simply put-ons. *shrug*

Though, certainly, tiny riders aren't completely w/o prescedent in other contexts. I recall a bit of lore (though, sadly, I can't cite the exact reference) about "faerie rades" wherein the lil' folk would be seen in mounted, though scaled-down, processions - often dressed in some sort of iconic dress such as armored knights or somesuch. And the ability to walk through walls would be one of the less outrageous properties attributed to such things.

Glinda said:
The previous night she'd put her young son to bed at 8pm and decided at 8.30 to go to bed herself to read. She'd just climbed in and was arranging the pillows behind herself when her attention was drawn to the (I think closed) door.
A tiny horse, less than a foot high, with full tack and rider had come through the door, run across the room and disappeared into the opposite wall'.

Cannot recall the correct name but it was reported in FT a while back that there's a neurological condition where sufferers see small people and/or trap-doors appearing in floors, walls, ceilngs etc. This could have been an example of that although it does not explain the figure beside the bed.

Hello people this is my first post here and it would have to be about dolls.....

When I was 3 to about when I was 10 ,since that was about the time I could handle sleeping in a completely pitch black room I slept with a University of Georgia football player plush doll I called Georgie that I believe to this day was fueding with my mom's giesha doll.

My mom had gone to a trip to Japan and bought this antique alabaster giesha doll that was in a glass case that was locked closed with a skeleton key. Well almost the second I laid eyes on it at 4 years of age it gave me the shakes.

But the strange stuff started when my dad had placed the giesha on thier dresser in thier room and the way our house was designed and my bed positioned that if they left thier door open the giesha stared right down the hall at me.

The first thing I remember was I got tucked into bed and my parents turned the light out in my room but left the hall light on with my door open. Well the light left a glare on the giesha's glass and it caught the corner on my eye but just ignored it and closed my eyes.
Well after a bit I caught a wave of cold like a draft and I opened my eyes to pull the covers up. I then noticed the glare was gone so I looked over and the glass door was open and it looked as if the doll had pulled one the needles that held her hair in a bun out of her hair and was holding it like a dagger.

Of course I pulled Georgie close to me and buried myself under the covers and clamped my eyes shut. Luckily my parents were walking down the hall way into thier room. But I heard my mom say something about how I had to cover my head to sleep from the glare from the front door of the giesha box !
So it had been closed since I ducked under the covers !

But I heard my parents lock their door since they thought that I should learn to handle my fears by myself and learn that the spooks and bumps at night were something to grow use to. (My mom has experienced numerous shadow people and other paranormal episodes since her sister/my aunt is a medium and Im coming to believe Im a magnet to such things as well.)
But I easily went to sleep as I figured the giesha was locked in my parents room so they could handle it.

I wake up in the morning still under my covers but Georgie isnt in my arms anymore and figured he had fallen off my bed. Well I pull the covers off to see Georgie sitting on the ground in the middle of doorway looking towards my parents room. It surprized me but it quickly passed cause it was saturday morning and dad was it the kitchen making pancakes. So Georgie and me go to the kitchen and I set Georgie on the table as I go ask my dad for some milk.

From behind my mom asked what I did to Georgie and of course I didnt know what she was talking about. So I go look to what the matter was and I see that Georgie has been punctured several times with what could of been a needle across his chest. Of course I get the lecture of taking care of my toys and I say something about how Georgie is my best friend and I think the japanese girl did it.

My mom laughed and said she'd keep that naughty girl in her case.

Well to make this long story just a bit short. Over the next couple of years Georgie would so how be found sitting in my doorway looking towards the place the giesha sat with a even more puncture holes. Also when my mom cleaned or dusted the giesha doll she would find red fabric fuzzies on her all white dress as well bent or broken miniture chop sticks that were placed in its hair as well its fan some how was torn and battered.

Welcome, treefox; that's a doozie of a first post. Brrrrrr! Poor Georgie! :eek!!!!:

:eek!!!!: Treefox!
Do you/your parents still have Georgie or the geisha doll?

Its kinda not fair either he's made of cotton and she's made of calcite.

Back