• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Doomsday / Apocalypse Thread

Still very rookie on this vast message board, I'll post to the general thread related to Doomsday prophecies, rather than starting a new thread on a specific date of a failed doomsday prediction.

This one is one I've heard about by word of mouth only, and cannot find any written documentation on.

In early 1965, I was told by both kids at school, and one teacher, that there was a report on CBS Evening News, about a woman possibly in Colorado, who had gotten the word directly from God Himself, that the "End of the World," would occur on March 16 of 1965.

Just what kind of disaster, natural, or human made would cause the World to End on that date, was not specified, but this woman and her followers were planning to survive the catastrophe by staying in a cave, with oxygen tanks.

I have mentioned this on other message boards and have found other people living way back then, who also remember hearing about this failed End of the World prophecy, but they do not know the details either.

I have not joined Newspaper Archive, but have had some limited use of their search engine, and have gotten results from my searches on March 16 1965 Doomsday Prediction, but not being a member, have only gotten total numbers of newspaper stories in different states of the USA, with no specific newspapers or dates in 1965 of the reports.

Had anyone else here on the board heard of this apparently mostly forgotten and obscure Doomsday prediction?

In my early years of teaching one of the other young female teachers befriended me.
One day she brought me a pamphlet about the apocalypse and asked me to read it.
It said something about it being in 1965 which had already passed. Next day she asked me what I thought and I said that it was interesting but I had read things from other groups saying different dates.
As her father was a minister in one of these groups she was most upset and never spoke to me again. I read later that they changed the date several times when nothing occurred.
I was a bit disappointed as I had thought she wanted to just be friends, not recruit me to their group like I had found whilst in college with other groups.

Thanks for the post, Iris. That young lady must not have been the optimistic "if at first you don't succeed, try again" types if she did want to recruit you inter her group. Not speaking to you again, and not wanting to still be friends with you because you may have doubted the group's predictions, seems to me like a very irrational reaction.

Not speaking to you again, and not wanting to still be friends with you because you may have doubted the group's predictions, seems to me like a very irrational reaction.

And constantly changing the due date of your proclaimed End of the World isn’t?

jimv1, that question should be, and is, self-answering. Yes, constantly changing the due date of the End of the World is a very irrational reaction on the part of groups and individuals making such predictions.

Thanks for pointing that out. When people are promoting irrational beliefs, they can also be irrational in their dealings with other people, although that is not always the case.

The sun will be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood

There was a misty, red moon over Manchester last night. I don't think it was the LORD, unless he wanted his coming announced by setting Saddleworth Moor alight . . . :hide:

The Rapture was supposed to happen (again) in the 21st June.

Or some other time.

I believe the strongest evidence is for a Pentecost rapture in May 2018. Yet, interestingly, there is a timeline I find intriguing, where Jesus would return on the FOT September 23, 2025, exactly 8 years to the day from the Rev 12 Sign alignment.

Looking at the dates for FOT to the year 2030, this is what we see. The date that stands out as unique from all the rest is September 23, 2025.

I find it also interesting that when we count backwards 2550 days from this date, it brings us to the 8th Day Solemn Assembly October 1 2018. If we count backwards from that date exactly 1 year, we arrive back at the DOA that occurred Sept 30/Oct 1 of 2017. Or 1 year 8 days from the Rev 12 Sign.

If we count forward 30 days from the 8th Day Solemn Assembly, we come to October 30/31 2018 (Halloween), which would mark the tribulation beginning date on the timeline. The day the world celebrates and makes light of the serious subject of death.

Following the pattern of the Holy Spirit returning 10 days after Christ ascended, or 50 days after His resurrection, the Holy Spirit would return 10 days after the Rapture on 10/10, 2018. On Rosh Chodesh.

So this timeline projection sees Jesus fulfilling the FOT on the day that He returns, (which may explain why the Rapture was not on a FOT this year), Atonement 9 days after His return. Tabernacles 14 days after His return, with Hanukkah being celebrated on December 15, 2025, 8 days after the Kingdom begins Dec 7, 2025, 2 months 22 days after His return. We also see this 2 months and 22 days again....

The temple was destroyed on August 5, 70 AD. It is 2 months 22 days from Israel's 70th birthday May 14, 2018, to the anniversary date of the temple's destruction on August 5, 2018.

So all the requirements are met with this timeline projection. And in 2025, Israel will celebrate it's 77th birthday. Not it's 76th, or 78th. But it's 77th. I find that intriguing
https://www.blessedhope2018.com/september-2018-rapture

I mean, why bother going through all the trouble of doing maths problems when you could simply say...

‘Rapture. Every other Tuesday and twice on the last Sunday of the month.’

The rich are different: how they prepare for the worst.

Silicon Valley’s elite are hatching plans to escape disaster – and when it comes, they’ll leave the rest of us behind

Douglas Rushkoff for Medium

Tue 24 Jul 2018 07.00 BSTLast modified on Wed 25 Jul 2018 16.25 BST
‘The Event was their euphemism for the environmental collapse, social unrest, nuclear explosion, virus, or hack that takes everything down.’
Last year, I got invited to a super-deluxe private resort to deliver a keynote speech to what I assumed would be a hundred or so investment bankers. It was by far the largest fee I had ever been offered for a talk – about half my annual professor’s salary – all to deliver some insight on the subject of “the future of technology”.

I’ve never liked talking about the future. The Q&A sessions always end up more like parlor games, where I’m asked to opine on the latest technology buzzwords as if they were ticker symbols for potential investments: blockchain, 3D printing, Crispr. The audiences are rarely interested in learning about these technologies or their potential impacts beyond the binary choice of whether or not to invest in them. But money talks, so I took the gig.

After I arrived, I was ushered into what I thought was the green room. But instead of being wired with a microphone or taken to a stage, I just sat there at a plain round table as my audience was brought to me: five super-wealthy guys – yes, all men – from the upper echelon of the hedge fund world. After a bit of small talk, I realized they had no interest in the information I had prepared about the future of technology. They had come with questions of their own.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...larity?CMP=share_btn_tw&page=with:img-2#img-2

‘The Event was their euphemism for the environmental collapse, social unrest, nuclear explosion, virus, or hack that takes everything down.’
If you haven't seen this "Event" related comedy skit, you need to. It is so very dark and so utterly hilarious. I love these guys.

Last edited:
The rich are different: how they prepare for the worst.

Silicon Valley’s elite are hatching plans to escape disaster – and when it comes, they’ll leave the rest of us behind
... and promptly be left outside by their "escape team", because when it comes time to determine whether to stuff some random rich person into a doomsday bunker or your own family, they are going to choose family.

Bodyguard to one of these people is probably a good way to ensure your family survives the doomsday, you get access and control over one of these bunkers but don't have to pay for it.

... and promptly be left outside by their "escape team", because when it comes time to determine whether to stuff some random rich person into a doomsday bunker or your own family, they are going to choose family.

Bodyguard to one of these people is probably a good way to ensure your family survives the doomsday, you get access and control over one of these bunkers but don't have to pay for it.
Except that 'the elites' are tricky-minded psychopaths who will have thought of that.

Except that 'the elites' are tricky-minded psychopaths who will have thought of that.
Reading the article, obviously not.

They're asking questions like 'can I make the guards wear shock collars to enforce compliance, and 'can I have the food keyed to a password only I know'. The first requires you get the guards to willingly put on those shock collars (good luck with that), the second is defeated with a wrench.

Reading the article, obviously not.

They're asking questions like 'can I make the guards wear shock collars to enforce compliance, and 'can I have the food keyed to a password only I know'. The first requires you get the guards to willingly put on those shock collars (good luck with that), the second is defeated with a wrench.
There is also another thing... after a major civilisation-crashing event, no amount of money will persuade anybody to be a henchman. Because money will have no value.

That is exactly why they asked that question. They wanted to know how to make the henchmen obey when money is worthless.
It is also only a very badly designed vault where you can open it by smashing something with a wrench.

That is exactly why they asked that question. They wanted to know how to make the henchmen obey when money is worthless.
It is also only a very badly designed vault where you can open it by smashing something with a wrench.
Yes, there would be better ways of doing things. Also, more than one entrance/exit.

The wrench isn't for smashing the vault, It's for smashing the rich guy to get the password to the vault...

security.png

Last edited:
Did I hear someone sneeze? We're all doomed!

Governments and international health bodies are wholly unprepared for a global flu pandemic that could wipe out almost a billion people, scientists have warned.

Virus simulations conducted at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore found the spread of a new pathogen could kill up to 900 million in a matter of years if it started to spread tomorrow.

Researchers concluded that a made-up illness, a new type of parainfluenza known as Clade X, which was spread by coughing would kill 150 million people – almost three times the UK population – in less than two years in the fictional situation.

The simulation was designed so the pathogen wasn’t markedly more dangerous than real illnesses such as Sars – “and illustrates the tightrope governments tread in responding to such illnesses”, says The Metro.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/95442/glob...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Did I hear someone sneeze? We're all doomed!

Governments and international health bodies are wholly unprepared for a global flu pandemic that could wipe out almost a billion people, scientists have warned.

Virus simulations conducted at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore found the spread of a new pathogen could kill up to 900 million in a matter of years if it started to spread tomorrow.

Researchers concluded that a made-up illness, a new type of parainfluenza known as Clade X, which was spread by coughing would kill 150 million people – almost three times the UK population – in less than two years in the fictional situation.

The simulation was designed so the pathogen wasn’t markedly more dangerous than real illnesses such as Sars – “and illustrates the tightrope governments tread in responding to such illnesses”, says The Metro.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/95442/glob...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter
With this data, they can now engineer a virus to cull the population.

Detecting the Zombie Virus before it's too late? Or would it be put out to tender and/or a PPP sought?

Could Scientists Detect a 'Zombie' Virus Before an Outbreak Occurred?

There's no way around it: Viruses are scary. They're invisible to the naked eye, they can be difficult to get rid of and many are capable of spreading quickly. That's why it's important to detect a disease-causing virus before it has the chance to infect so many people that it's impossible to contain.

Failure to detect and contain a deadly virus early enough to prevent an outbreak is a key component of the story in AMC's sci-fi series "Fear the Walking Dead" (which airs on Sundays at 9 p.m. EDT/8 p.m. CDT, starting Aug. 12). The show, now in its fourth season, follows characters as they try to survive in a world that's been overcome by a deadly zombie virus.

Fortunately, in the real world, scientists have developed multiple techniques for detecting viruses quickly — and, hopefully, before an outbreak were to occur. [The 9 Deadliest Viruses on Earth]

https://www.livescience.com/63302-z...erf19b9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

I have been waiting for the end times since the Y2k shit in 2000. Then it was 2012 Mayan Apocalypse. Now its 2018 and I'm still holed up in this Goddamn bunker after 18 years. Fucking Cuban missile crisis didn't last this long
Are you running out of baked beans yet?

I have been waiting for the end times since the Y2k shit in 2000. Then it was 2012 Mayan Apocalypse. Now its 2018 and I'm still holed up in this Goddamn bunker after 18 years. Fucking Cuban missile crisis didn't last this long
In the bunker since before 2000? With an internet connection from before 2000? <shudder>

Our doom has been preordained. Strewth!

In 1973, a computer program was developed at MIT to model global sustainability. Instead, it predicted that by 2040 our civilization would end. While many in history have made apocalyptic predictions that have so far failed to materialize, what the computer envisioned in the 1970s has by and large been coming true. Could the machine be right?

Why the program was created
The prediction, which recently re-appeared in Australian media, was made by a program dubbed World One. It was originally created by the computer pioneer Jay Forrester, who was commissioned by the Club of Rome to model how well the world could sustain its growth. The Club of Rome is an organization comprised of thinkers, former world heads of states, scientists, and UN bureaucrats with the mission to “promote understanding of the global challenges facing humanity and to propose solutions through scientific analysis, communication, and advocacy.”

The predictions
What World One showed was that by 2040 there would be a global collapse if the expansion of the population and industry was to continue at the current levels.

As reported by the Australian broadcaster ABC, the model’s calculations took into account trends in pollution levels, population growth, the amount of natural resources and the overall quality of life on Earth. The model’s predictions for the worsening quality of life and the dwindling natural resources have so far been unnervingly on target.

In fact, 2020 is the first milestone envisioned by World One. That’s when the quality of life is supposed to drop dramatically. The broadcaster presentedthis scenario that will lead to the demise of large numbers of people:

"At around 2020, the condition of the planet becomes highly critical. If we do nothing about it, the quality of life goes down to zero. Pollution becomes so seriously it will start to kill people, which in turn will cause the population to diminish, lower than it was in the 1900. At this stage, around 2040 to 2050, civilised life as we know it on this planet will cease to exist."

https://bigthink.com/paul-ratner/in...-the-end-of-civilization-so-far-its-on-target

Last edited:
In 2020 we will also get a recession:
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...0-financial-crisis-nouriel-roubini?CMP=twt_gu

As we mark the 10th anniversary of the collapse of Lehman Brothers, there are still ongoing debates about the causes and consequences of the financial crisis, and whether the lessons needed to prepare for the next one have been absorbed. But looking ahead, the more relevant question is what actually will trigger the next global recession and crisis, and when.

The current global expansion will likely continue into next year, given that the US is running large fiscal deficits, China is pursuing loose fiscal and credit policies, and Europe remains on a recovery path. But by 2020, the conditions will be ripe for a financial crisis, followed by a global recession.

Back