• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Essex Girl

A

Anonymous

OK so I've met quite a few essex girls and the majority have been quite intelligent and no more (in laymans terms) easy than any lady from any other county. So how did the Essex girl end up the butt of all our jokes, or are there really a whole county of such a stereotype and I have just been lucky (unlucky?) so far? :)

I recal in time in the 80's when every yuppie from london featured in a tv show had a blond girl with an essesx accent dressed in white, who would laugh like a drain at anything the yuppie said. From representations like this a steriotype grew.

But never having been to essex myself and knowing very few people who hail from there in real life I don't know weather the steriotype was acurate either.

I think there are variants of that type of thing all over. I'm reminded of the "valley girl" stereotype.

The current documentary Essex wives was a nasty piece of work that made my blood boil. Essex women are like any others.

Apparently theres a historical basis in the stereotype I've been told. In the past women from Essex were always viewed as rather independant women who supported families and ruled the roost. From this there grew jokes about their nagging etc. and out of this jokes about their sexual laxity (if you want to get psychologial about this, the easiest way to attack a strong woman is to imply that she has the morals of an alley cat.)

I live in Essex, although not Essex born and I get the jibe wherever I go. I don't take it personally because very few people actaully mean anything by it, its just a conversation opener.

Edit-in fact thinking it over, moving here from London as a kid I remember how reserved and quiet people were, men and women, and it's still the case. Yoi can stand in a bus queue here and nobody will talk, go to big soul-less, uncaring London and you can strike up a conversation in 30 seconds.......

*strolls off holding braces and singing 'mabbe it's becorse I'm a Londoner'*

Blueswidow said:
I live in Essex, although not Essex born and I get the jibe wherever I go. I don't take it personally because very few people actaully mean anything by it, its just a conversation opener.
"So, you're a thick slag then?" Great conversation opener. :rolleyes: :p

Back