• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Ghost & The Murder Mystery

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
As mentioned in the the Film and Tv reminders;

I thought this needed its own thread. It’s such an intriguing story.

Ghost Story, from Wondery, is a strange new seven-part show. It starts out in familiar spooky-tale territory. Then it performs a lane hop into another genre before zigzagging and turning back on itself to become something else entirely. This might make it sound an awkward listen. It’s not. It’s very good, but any explanation will seem bananas.

Here goes. Journalist Tristan Redman moved to a house in London when he was a teenager. On several occasions, objects in his bedroom would move without anyone touching them – a vase would end up on a bedside table, say, where he definitely didn’t put it. As an adult, he discovered that other people who’d lived in the same house had also had weird experiences, often involving seeing a woman with no face.

So far, so Danny Robins’s Uncanny. But the story becomes complicated by the utterly mad coincidence that Redman’s wife, Kate’s, family used to live in the house next door. And that a woman in that family – Naomi, Kate’s great-grandmother – was murdered in that house. Naomi’s husband, known as Feyther, escaped being killed himself, through his cleverness and quick actions. Redman decides to find out more.'

https://wondery.com/shows/ghost-story/?queryID=ccd72e7ed95b963b460baaf6802d2469

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...88-with-will-smith-shaun-keavenys-daily-grind

I came across that source when I first heard a trailer for the podcast. I've found that it's always worth doing such searches before a thing becomes 'a thing' - as, after that point earlier data can often get completely obscured by later input.

I've not listened to the podcast yet, but I'm kind of glad that I read this before I did. (And - unlike so many other sources - the comments are actually worth the time it takes to read them).

It’s an interesting question why the brother would slit his throat when he had a loaded gun with him. Surely that would be the better way to do it?

I’m still plodding though the podcast but I really don’t trust the husband one bit.

I binged listening to Ghost Story a couple of weeks ago, it was a recommendation in The Week magazine.
Fascinating story, I was hooked (hence the binge ). There's a lot of elements to it and the supernatural side takes a back seat for most of the series. The family hold Feyther in such high regard that trying to reveal the truth about him is a dangerous path to take...brave man!
A great listen while I'm making the kids' school lunches.

I’m on the penultimate episode. I’m a bit peed off by all the hero worship Feyther (that name’s really getting on my nerves now) has had while Naomi and all her accomplishments has been long forgotten.

Finally finished. I’m glad they are finding being Naomi’s story to the family. I did have a thought though.

What if the psychic was right and Morris suffocated Naomi (easier with dodgy eyesight) and Feyther trying to make sure the blame didn’t fall to him (and he did like a good story) shot her eyes? No one would have queried the cause of death and I’m sure it’s the blood vessels in the eyes that show signs of suffocation. Maybe he planted the gun on Morris and that’s why Morris didn’t use it to end his own life.

Although the ghosts might not be telling to truth to save the family shame.

I want to know who the other ghost is. I don’t know why his wife took the miff that was nothing to do with her family (hopefully).

Finally finished. I’m glad they are finding being Naomi’s story to the family. I did have a thought though.

What if the psychic was right and Morris suffocated Naomi (easier with dodgy eyesight) and Feyther trying to make sure the blame didn’t fall to him (and he did like a good story) shot her eyes? No one would have queried the cause of death and I’m sure it’s the blood vessels in the eyes that show signs of suffocation. Maybe he planted the gun on Morris and that’s why Morris didn’t use it to end his own life.
Also if he was trying to get Morris’ prints on the gun that would explain the weird hand washing.

If you are drawn to the ghost tale - cum-murder mystery crossover then you need look no further than The Haunted Hotel: A Mystery of Modern Venice by Wilkie Collins (1878).

Collins is best known for The Moonstone and The Woman in White and this one has been somewhat overshadowed and overlooked. and it may be hard to get hold of now in book form - although I believe Penguin once brought it out.

Lord Montbarry the fiance of Agnes Lockwood elopes with a dark countess from Italy and dies in suspicious circumstances in a Venetian palace that has been refashiioned into a salubrious hotel. Later members of his family descend on the scene and are visited by horrible dreams and strange events that seem to tell of the crime.....

There are faults in the novel's construction: a character is introduced early on in the story who later just vanishes and some of the characters prejudices around nationality and class would make even the lerast `woke` of us wince - but this is a rare admixture of a detective story (minus an actual detective, mind) and superntaural chiller - with the latter aiding the former, and nothing being debunked. Some of the haunting scenes are very effectively creepy indeed.

If you are drawn to the ghost tale - cum-murder mystery crossover then you need look no further than The Haunted Hotel: A Mystery of Modern Venice by Wilkie Collins (1878).

Collins is best known for The Moonstone and The Woman in White and this one has been somewhat overshadowed and overlooked. and it may be hard to get hold of now in book form - although I believe Penguin once brought it out.

Lord Montbarry the fiance of Agnes Lockwood elopes with a dark countess from Italy and dies in suspicious circumstances in a Venetian palace that has been refashiioned into a salubrious hotel. Later members of his family descend on the scene and are visited by horrible dreams and strange events that seem to tell of the crime.....

There are faults in the novel's construction: a character is introduced early on in the story who later just vanishes and some of the characters prejudices around nationality and class would make even the lerast `woke` of us wince - but this is a rare admixture of a detective story (minus an actual detective, mind) and superntaural chiller - with the latter aiding the former, and nothing being debunked. Some of the haunting scenes are very effectively creepy indeed.
I have been pondering with a story of my own for some time, which would relate to a murder that was covered up as an air raid death in WWII. I think this kind of thing might be the style of story that it would work with. Ghost, why and who?

I binged listening to Ghost Story a couple of weeks ago, it was a recommendation in The Week magazine.
Fascinating story, I was hooked (hence the binge ). There's a lot of elements to it and the supernatural side takes a back seat for most of the series. The family hold Feyther in such high regard that trying to reveal the truth about him is a dangerous path to take...brave man!
A great listen while I'm making the kids' school lunches.
Is 'Ghost Story' fictional or factual? Sorry to nitpick but there is so much ghost-based and paranormal media out there right now and then we have Danny Robins dramatising factual events that it can all get a bit confusing.

Last edited:
Is 'Ghost Story' fictional or factual? Sorry to nitpick but there is so much ghost-based and paranormal media out there right now and then we have Danny Robins dramatising factual events that it can all get a bit confusing.
I'm guessing it's factual, if you Google the Dancy family members they are all there...but Tristan goes very close to pissing off the in-laws with his investigation which makes you question whether some mutual dramatisation was included to 'spice' things up a little. His brother-in-law was in Downton Abbey apparently (I've never watched it!) and features in the show so it's no stretch of the imagination

I've just spotted another episode of 'Ghost Story', a Christmas special I presume!

Looks like a Q&A with Tristan and Anne, his producer.

Judging by this and the blurb about Ghost Story Live they're treading into Uncanny territory.

They are all at it.

https://www.fane.co.uk/ghoststory
IMG_4047.jpeg

I knew this article would be about this podcast. The trouble is they held up ‘Feyther’ as this wonderful man that had done so much. Trouble is even without him being the murderer they found out an awful lot of his stories were lies. Also Naomi who had been killed HAD done an awful lot of good things that had never been mentioned in the family.

Personally I’m not totally convinced he didn’t have something to do with the murder especially as he had another wife (who also died in the house) soon after.

Horror, glamour … and heartache: how a hit true-crime podcast divided a family​

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...true-crime-podcast-divided-family-ghost-story

Back