• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Ghosts Of Animals

One of my favourite ghostie photos comes from the nineteen
twenties. It purports to represent the spirit of a recently deceased
Cairn Terrier materialising out of the arse of an Irish Wolfhound.

Faked almost certainly. But why? :eek:

When I was in university, a friend and I rented an apartment which came with its own ghost cat. We had a cat of our own, and several times when we put our cat's dinner bowl out, both our cat and a white, semi-transparent cat would come running. The semi-transparent cat would, then, disappear.

A couple of years ago, my calico cat died, and my husband swears he saw her once or twice in the house afterwards. I didn't.

Then, about a month ago, our 17-year-old grey cat--who was very intelligent--died, leaving us with only one really stupid, part-persian, black cat (yes, I like him, but he's sooo dumb).

However, not only have my husband and I both seen a shadowy creature that looks like our grey cat about the house, but sometimes the black cat takes on the grey cat's mannerisms. We suppose that since the black cat's brain is mostly vacant, the grey cat can slip in quite easily!

We did ghostly pets to death months ago.
If you look down the list of threads far enough I'm sure it'll still be there.

We did ghostly pets to death months ago.
Surely doing them to death when they're already ghosts is a little excessive?

My girlfriend's one uncanny experience (that she has told me about) relates to a cat that she and her then husband met a couple of times on the dark country road back from the pub. The last time they met with it it vanished completely. IIRC she saw it again, but he didn't. She's very matter of fact about the whole thing.

Interesting thread. Will have to go and look up the old one too...

Must ask my sister about the time she saw the 'ghost' of the very much alive but in-another-room/house/city-at-the-time dog at the foot of the stairs in the friend's house. Can't remember the story really, but something about the dog looking solid but in 'negative' springs to mind.
Also must ask my Dad about ghost dogs in his family when he was young...

Not seen any myself, but maybe it runs in the family...:)

Ghost Dog

Hmm, interesting.

A friend of mine - Jo - saw the ghost of our dog, a few months after she had been put down. She'd come round to visit me, and was pottering around in the living room while I got ready. She didn't know that Gemma (the dog) had died. We had one dog still around; two dogs came into the room to say 'Hello' to her (as dogs do); one of them was Gemma; they hung around for a bit, and then went off. I came down, and we went out. Jo thought nothing of it, as she didn't know Gemma was dead.

We only found out that she'd seen Gemma's ghost a few months later, when we had a big argument about when Gemma had died. Jo was convinced she'd lived much longer than she had, because of course she'd seen her long after she died!

Gemma was a lovely dog - my Mum felt like she was still around for about 6 months after she died, keeping an eye on us, but she was never lucky enough to see her.

James Whitehead said:
Tamed by a sniff of an invisible dog's bum!

Where else would we get a story like that?

Wonder if it would work on kiddies. I could see a good
sales potential if they were advertised in the Times
Education Supplement.

Instant Obedience! Invisible Dogs Bottoms.
Be the first in your school to have one.
Smell the difference. :rolleyes:

James, just nearly fell off my chair with hysteria to your dogs bottom ad. Funniest thing I've read in ages! Cheers!

A ghost dog haunts the old airfield of RAF Scampton. It is a black Labrador. The dog was owned by Guy Gibson and it was killed on the fateful day when his squadron 617 went to destroy the german dams. His dog was buried in front grass verge of his room and His name Nigger was imortalise as the codename for the breach of the Mohne Dam.

The dog has been seen on many occasions looking for his master also the room where Guy Gibson stayed RAF personnel could hear scratching at the door as if a dog was locked in the room but when they opened the door, They could find no dog.

The dog still haunts the Airfield today.

RAF Scampton labrador

That story makes me quite sad.

Surely some Sensitive or Medium could try to get in touch with either the dog or its owner and reunite them? Would the local Spiritualist church be able to help? I hate to think of animals, or people for that matter, confused and bewildered and "stuck" forever in limbo.

MsT

Ghost Labrador

My girlfriends Father spent a few years working in Germany, one of the jobs he had while staying there was a night watchman for a pharmaceuticals company. The company owned several buildings within industrial premises. The building that he was watching over was a one storey building in the shape of an “H”. There were always two watchmen in the building after business hours. I have attached a bad drawing of the building to help me explain. The two watchmen are shown as “A” and “B” on this particular night, watchman “A” was my Girlfriends Father. There was only one door into the building, there was not even a fire escape, and there were also no windows. (Today’s health and safety inspectors would have loved that). As indicated on the drawing “1”, “2” and “3” are storage rooms. These were kept locked at all times unless there was a member of staff inside the room. The watchmen had keys to these rooms. Once they were sure that everyone had gone home, the watchmen would open the doors to the storage rooms so that they could see into the rooms and not have to get up. One night (no exact date given or time, but assured time was after midnight) my girlfriends father “A” saw a black Labrador dog walking slowly from point “x” towards point “y” he lost sight of the dog when it rounded the corner. Watchman “B” saw the dog rounding the corner from point “x” and watched it walk to point “y”. The dog acted as if the watchmen were not there. When asked about the dog he said that he and the other watchman did not feel scared, cold or uneasy in anyway. It just seemed perfectly normal for this to be happening until about 5 minutes after the dog had “walked through the wall as if the wall was not there” At the same time both watchmen got up and walked towards each other, they met in the middle. Embarrassed the other watchman asked my girlfriend’s father if he had seen anything just then, he said he thought so, they then told each other what they had seen. Even after this, neither of them felt scared until they were relieved by staff at 8.00 the next morning and had left the building. After their conversation just after the sighting, they had just gone and sat back down in their seats as if nothing had happened and fulfilled the shift. They only got up to lock the doors to the storerooms before the day staff came in. After they left the building, they went to the main security building to collect their things before going home, they agreed with each other to not mention this to anyone until they had talked about it some more. Later that day after they had been home to bed, they met in a pub and talked about what they had seen in detail, they felt afraid when they thought about the dog when they were anywhere else but at the building where they saw the dog. Whenever they were in that building they just felt calm and content as if nothing had happened. Shortly they were rotated to another building, and other watchmen were assigned to guard the building where they had seen the dog. They never told any of the other watchmen what they had seen for fear of ridicule but they did ask whether any of the other watchmen had seen anything abnormal. None of the other watchmen had ever seen anything abnormal.

ghost pets

kryptokid

re:- a ghost dog called nigger. i have read about another account about a ghost dog called nigger from about early last century( that sounds aciecnt, doesnt it?). sorry cant remember book /author . but apparenty these couple of children (cornwall, devon, dorset??) went playing on a flat beach which had sand bars when tide was out, playing for some time they didnt notice that tide was coming in (kids of yesterday huh????;) ). cut long account short, one kid drowned (a boy?), and two saved (girls?). the account was told to a new theacher to the area or to a class (of well behaved kids :)rolleyes: )). the ghost dogs colour was black.
what west counrty ghost dogs called?
could the above dog be a "spectral dog? as in the ones found on leys?

Ghostly animal experiances

I have had a few experiances with "animal ghosts" or something of the like.
My boyfriends family had a dog, Chuckles, who had a "sigh" that he would do. He always flopped on the couch and let out a big sigh. I had never seen a dog to that before. He was a beautiful German Shepard/Siberian Husky mix. When he got hit and killed by a car out in front of the house, we buried him out back, and everyone was very sad. After his burial when we came back in the house, we saw spots of fresh blood on the couch where Chuckles usually sits. Thinking that was strange, but not putting too much meaning to it, we went about our night, fixing food in the kitchen(although no one really felt like eating), and we heard a loud sigh coming from the living room. We ran into the room, and it was empty, then we heard the sigh again, and it was coming from the direction of where the blood was. Me and my boyfriend just looked at each other and started crying. :sad:

I worked for a little less than a year at an S.P.C.A. animal shelter. The shelter was small and had very few employees, so I would often work alone. Many animals had died or been put down at this place, and because of all the animals in the cages, it held a great sadness. I often got creeped out there, because out of nowhere the dogs would freak out and bark at nothing, or the cats would hiss at nothing.
Two or three times, I would be bent over doing something (in a well lighted area) and a shadow would loom up behind me. Upon spinning around, nothing would be there.
The most strange occurance was one time when I was working early morning (when the shelter was closed) by myself. I was working out back with the dogs, cleaning their kennels, so I had left all the lights and everything off up front (where the cats are and the office). I noticed something was strange when I saw (from underneath the door) the the lights up front had been turned on. When I went up front, I was very startled to find every light in the place had been turned on. Also the radio (which had been unplugged) was taken out, plugged in, and blasting music. I looked around to see if my chance one of my coworkers or my boss had come in, but the front was still locked, and no car but mine was in the lot. Strange....
One time I was driving and I almost got into a crash because I came up fast on three cats sitting in the middle of the road. I tried to swerve, but I drove right over them, or through them, I should say. I didn't feel any bumps and when I got out to check, there was nothing. Ghosts of roadkill perhaps? Who knows, but strange indeed!

About 3 months ago I saw something out of the corner of my eye which ran like a shadow across the floor, behind the settee and then disappeared, it made a little stomping noise as it went. I got up and looked to see if it was one of next doors cats, but there was nothing there. This has happened a couple of times and it reminded me of the way Miffy, my rabbit used to play. He would run from the kitchen, behind the settee and then back to the kitchen in little circuits, so I just assumed that it was him. I haven't seen him since, maybe he just wanted to let me know he was OK.:(

Sorry for joining this party a little late (it's alright, I've brought my own bottle...), but my family have had the "dead pet" experience as well:

My parent's first dog, a labrador-collie cross, died in 1986, and was (fairly swiftly) replaced by a spaniel-collie cross; I only describe the breeds to point out the similarity in appearance. One evening, about 1988 or so, my older brother was watching the TV in the living room when he thought he saw, out of the corner of his eye, the current dog exiting the room. As there was nobody else around in the area of the house he thought he saw the dog going into, and as the dog was a still mentally a puppy and still prone to a bit of casual property destruction, he went into the hall and started calling for the dog. At which point my Mum came through and asked him why he was calling for the dog as she had just let it out into the garden.

We swiftly decided that this was the old dog coming back to keep an eye on us, and these incidents recurred sporadically over the next decade or so, without anyone ever being worried about them. We almost thought it was quite sweet that the new dog wasn't bothered by his presence...

However, after we moved five years ago, there has been no further sightings of dog #1, nor indeed of #2, who is himself no longer with us. Although the latest mutt does have a habit of barking at "nothing" in the night, but he's a complete maniac anyway...

One of the best animal ghost stories, and the one that to me is the eeriest by far, is the Black Cat of Kil(l)akee (outside Dublin). There are Hellfire Club connections (Dashwood!) but the central apparition of the case was a monstrous black cat. From Blather:
Black cats came back into the equation again during the late 1960s, while the house was inhabited by a Mrs. Margaret O'Brien, who was setting up an arts centre there. On moving in, she was told by the local people that the area was haunted by a black cat, alleged to be the size of an Airedale dog.

Mr. O'Brien did indeed see a big black animal disappearing into the foliage one day, but didn't mention it to anyone until her artist friend Tom McAssey and two of his colleagues were one night working late in the house. They had a frightening experience with a black draped spectre that spoke to them, and a monstrous black cat with red glowing eyes. McAssey later did an oil painting of the beast, which now hangs in the restaurant. Val McGann, who lived in a trailer next to the house, claimed to have stalked the monster with his shotgun, but was unable to corner it.

More paranormal events were to haunt the house, including apparitions of nuns, poltergeists, power failures during planned seances, bells, you name it. At one point, a Catholic priest was called in to sort things out, to no avail. Things got even dafter when headgear - in the form of small caps - were reported to be regularly teleporting themselves into the house, and were to be found on picture hooks or other odd places.

Then, from here, this:
The 1960s saw the movement into the house of an art center, and it was this time which saw the dawning of the events for which Killakee is most famous. Upon moving to the house, the art center's employees heard legends from the locals of a huge black cat, legends which dated to 1918. The owner, Margaret O'Brien, did indeed see on several occasions some "big black animal." But it was artist Tom McAssey who had the most famous sighting of the Black cat of Killakee in March, 1968. After the front door had mysteriously unlocked itself, he saw a large black cat lying outside. McAssey said the cat spoke to him, saying "You don't see me." And then, when he tried to lock the door, "Leave this door open." (McAssey painted a picture of the cat, which has an eerily human face.)
Said painting attached: sort of alarming, isn't it?

Good Lord! I live for creepy stories like that!

"You don't see me." Holy sh!t!

Good one, Stu.

First time I read the story I was nine or ten, and it was in one of the Orbis "Mysteries" series, "Mysteries of the Afterlife", full account as given above plus full page print of the painting.

Slept with the light on for weeks afterwards :eek!!!!:!

Ghost Cat Article

A nice little article about ghost cats here.

Anita Perry of Castro Valley wrote me that she was working on a book about "events that pet owners may have experienced after a beloved pet has died." She wanted to know if I had heard of any such incidents, so I printed her letter, and the letters and e-mail messages about "after death" experiences came pouring in.

Out of nine responses, in one day, five of the letters had to do with feeling something pressing into a pillow next to your head where a beloved cat used to sleep, the sound of the dead family dog running down the hall and waking everyone up, and the impressions of a dog and two different cats jumping on beds and walking across peoples' legs.

Stu Neville said:
One of the best animal ghost stories, and the one that to me is the eeriest by far, is the Black Cat of Kil(l)akee (outside Dublin). There are Hellfire Club connections (Dashwood!) but the central apparition of the case was a monstrous black cat. From Blather:

Then, from here, this: Said painting attached: sort of alarming, isn't it?
I think it looks frightened and kind of sad.

Yes. It kind of reminds me of Chinese/Japanese paintings of demons and monsters. They all have a worried, slightly sad expression.

Ghost Cats

:miaow:

A few weeks ago, one of my cats died suddenly after a short illness.

I initially thought that my other cat seemed to be coping well, alot better than I did, until some strange things started to happen.

Maybe about a week or so ago, I was in the bathroom claening my teeth before going to work. Cirrus (my remaining cat) was upstairs with me, when he adopted the "stalking" stance of front end down, hindquarters raised and tail twitching. He then leaped to an empty area of the carpet and looked very confused to find it empty. Then he ran downstairs at full speed.

Similar things have happened before and after this event and I'm convinced that Pagan is still around. Both cats had grown up together, there was just a few months age difference between them and they came from the same breeder. I think the link is still there and Pagaon is continuing the teasing and tormenting that Cirrus used to give her when she was alive, although I've seen nothing of her myself since she died.

I also kept her ashes and wonder if this may have anything to do with it.

Does any one have a similar experience with a much-loved pet? I'm a firm believer in ghosts and an afterlife and always have been. To me, there is far too much evidence to disprove the existance of ghosts.

Jean,

If you can find it, you might be very interested to check out a photograph taken by Alfred Hollidge in 1974 (at Leigh-on-Sea), which depicts his pet black cat, laying in front of what appears to be a space heater, staring in sudden alarm as a smaller, black, kitten-like, shape, rushes by. The picture is depicted in Fred Gettings' "The Secret Lore of the Cat" (Plate 12) and is one of the more remarkable ghost-animal photographs that I've seen -- the "ghost cat" even displays a bit of lighter ear detail against its blurry black fur. If this is even remotely like what Cirrus witnessed, I think I can understand his "confusion" -- just the hint of tangability in a playmate that is sadly not quite completely there.

Polterdog.

There are certainly ghost cats. My family have experienced them.

I have described them at length elsewhere, possibly on a 'ghost animals' thread, but the tales bear retelling.......

We had a cat who'd get in bed with the kids in the night, do all the purring and snuggling, then vanish just as they put their hand out to stroke it. They'd tell me about it but I thought they were dreaming. I didn't like the cats being on the beds and they normally stayed downstairs.

Then it happened to me. One morning I was in bed chatting to the kids and I felt and heard a cat slowly walk the length of my body along the bed on top of the duvet, purring. I said, 'Hey, get that cat off my bed!' There was no cat, as all four of my children pointed out!

The 'ghost cat' carried on making an invisible fuss for years. My then husband, a mockingly sceptical scientist, was himself 'haunted' by it and suddenly stopped deriding our belief in the cat.

The ghost cat seemed to move house with us, or else there was already one here, because similar things happened at our new home. I have never seen it but but a couple of the kids have, out of the corner of an eye, and it looks black or grey to them.

When a much-loved moggy called Puddy was killed by a dog soon after we moved here we buried her under a flagstone which we marked with a painted black cat silhouette. The youngest daughter was looking at it one day from her bedroom when she felt Puddy creep onto her lap for a fuss just as she'd always done.
Daughter didn't dare look down at the cat for a few minutes: when she did, Puddy was gone.

My older daughter is a clairvoyante and 'sees' all sorts of animals accompanying clients, including cats, dogs, rabbits and budgies!
They are all with us.

Shortly after I had to have our much loved first cat, China, put to sleep, I saw and heard her miaow in the kitchen of our house. Although we still had other cats at the time, it was not one of them, China was completely grey and none of the other cats had such colouring.

I was really upset when China died. She had a lot of illness in her short life, including having to have both of her eyes removed so she spent her final three years completely blind.

I wasn't shocked by her fleeting appearance, in fact I was quite comforted by it.

Our cat, Smartie, always used to scratch at the kitchen door whenhe wanted to come in. It was quite a distinctive noise and he used to sit up on his haunches so that he could beat quite a tattoo on the door with both paws.

After he died, we heard him scratching at the door to come in. Feeling rather silly, I opened the door and told him to come in and we never heard the noise again.

Carole

My friend, who lives in Indiana, had a gorgeous fluffy moggie called Mama. Mama was a very quiet cat, but would always let you know she was near by "tapping" you on the leg with her tail as she walked by. Last year Carolyn wrote to tell me Mama [who was in her late teens] had died. A few days later while I was doing the dishes, I felt a soft "tap" on my leg, and instinctively said "Hi Mama", I wrote to tell Carolyn, who replied that she and other members of her family had also been "tapped" since Mama had died, I was rather touched to think she came 8,000 miles to let me know she's still around. :miaow:

Do you know, Lobelia, that little tale :)miaow:) brought tears to my eyes . . .

Carole

Thanks for the tip, Polterdog. I did a search to see if there was a site for sections of the book with reference to the photo you mentioned, but was unable to find one. I'll have a look at my local Waterstones when I'm next in town.

Thanks everyone that's replied so far. I didn't think I'd be on my own, but now it's been confirmed. Please keep them coming.

J.:D

Back