• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Grave Of Robin Hood

linking robin hood threads

Yes, I think this would be better following the Ghosts thread where the exorcism has been described by Catherine,
barbara

Re: the mystery of robin hoods grave

barbara green said:
Robin Hood's Grave is situated in West Yorkshire. For many years it has lain neglected and forgotten beneath a shroud of inpenetrable bushes. In the nineteen eighties I became interested in the legend-living but two miles away in Brighouse, and proceeded to research why Robin Hood came to Yorkshire to die. It seems that his kinswoman the prioress of Kirklees was his kinswoman and reputed to be skilled in the healing arts. Instead she bled him to death. He was buried outside the consecrated grounds of the nunnery. In the nienteen ninteies I began to receive reports of paranormal activity around the gravesite. Because access was difficult some people went unofficially to the site. A woman in white was seen on several occasions by different people, and other phenomena. I don't know whether this is of any interest to people on this message board but as Fortean deals with strange phenomena I thought it may be of interest.

Further details on http://www.robinhoodyorkshire.co.uk

http://www.robinhood.ltd.uk/newforum/shoowthread.asp?id=77&forumid=1

There is a rumour going round at college that Robin Hood is buried in Mirfield, near Huddersfield, West Yorkshire. We go past a pub called 'The Three Nuns' everyday on our way to college and some people say that Robin Hood was buried somewhere close to this pub.

Yes that's the one, just behind the Three Nuns on the way up to the motorway roundabout.

I went for a look the other day but didn't fancy hacking my way through the undergrowth trying to find it.

For sale: a piece of Robin Hood history
Robin Hood's alleged final resting place is up for grabs – Jonny Beardsall wishes he had several million pounds .
By Jonny Beardsall
3:49PM BST 26 Jun 2012

If you ever made a longbow as a child — I did because I lived near Sherwood Forest — it follows that Robin Hood and his Merry Men would be central to your games. I have visited his alleged hideout, the Major Oak, but until now have never seen his grave. The reputed site is included in the sale of the Kirklees Estate, near Halifax, West Yorkshire, along with the main house, several farmhouses and the enchanting remains of a Grade II-listed Cistercian priory, ripe for residential development, in 750 acres of farmland and woods.

The forlorn mini-mausoleum, a few stone slabs bordered by dilapidated Victorian iron railings, is not easy to find among the rhododendrons. Although there is no public access, the grave, a scheduled ancient monument, features in a walk led by the Calderdale Historical Society on the last weekend in June (calderdale heritagewalks.org.uk).

Legend has it that the outlaw was murdered by a waspish prioress 600 years ago, while she nursed him in the priory’s gatehouse, which is included in the sale. Before he died, he is said to have asked his most trusted friend, Little John, to help him shoot his last arrow and to bury him where it landed. His supposed tomb is 60 yards from the gatehouse.

The estate, which was the seat of the Armytage family since 1565, is looking for in excess of £7 million as a whole, or in lots (through Strutt & Parker, 01432 706786; struttandparker.com). The last Armytage to live there was the late great-uncle of Telegraph racing correspondent Marcus Armytage. Today, Kirklees is run by trustees.

Marcus’s father, Roddy, the retired racehorse trainer, also lives in Yorkshire – albeit in a mere six acres. He knew Kirklees when it was a massive 8,000 acres, much of it where the M62 now snakes.
“It’s been whittled away over the years. As a boy I remember delivering milk with my Uncle John to people’s doorsteps in his Rolls-Royce. In those days all the trees in the place were black with soot from local industry,” he says.
So what does he make of the resting place of the outlaw? “There’s nothing in it – I’ve had a good dig inside,” he laughs.

Given our ongoing appetite for the legend – as recently as 2010, Russell Crowe starred as Robin Hood in a big-budget Ridley Scott film – you would be forgiven for thinking that no photograph of the grave in the glossy particulars is an inexplicable if not an astonishing omission.

Claire Whitfield, head of estates in the North for the selling agents, disagrees. “There’s more to this than Robin Hood,” she scoffs. “If this was Hampshire, it would be £30 million. It is quite the most wonderful proposition I’ve seen all year.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/935 ... story.html

Much of interest to those concerned with the historicity and early depictions of Robin Hood.

Richard Grafton's Abridgement of the Chronicles of England (1563):

Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 22.53.45.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 22.54.02.png

Source:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=wr4_AAAAcAAJ&vq=robert hood&pg=PA221#v=onepage&q&f=false

Ah, England and her love for history!

The alleged resting place of the legendary outlaw could be swallowed by concrete after being earmarked as the site for a sprawling industrial estate.

Folklore suggests that Robin Hood died at Kirklees Priory, West Yorkshire, where he fled after leaving the safety of Sherwood Forest to be healed by nuns under the care of the Prioress, Elizabeth de Staynton.

Now, Kirklees Council has drawn up plans to build on the land, angering local experts and historians.

The grass and trees where Robin’s arrow landed could disappear under “a sea” of huge steel warehouses, they warned.

Robert Bamforth, from the Campaign to Protect Rural England, said bureaucrats were sacrificing the area’s tourism potential.

Continued at unnecessary length:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/25/robin-hoods-grave-could-bulldozed-covered-concrete/

Back