• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Green Hand....

MercuryCrest said:
Sadly, FT magazine is too expensive for me, here in the states.

That's a pity, especially as the article was rather complicated to summarise. Maybe it'll appear here on the site?

When it comes to remembering things from childhood ... well, it depends. The closest to photographic evidence for myself comes from watching 50s and 60s sci-fi movies as a kid. See, we had a local show called "Fantastic Theater" that aired scores of old horror and sf films. After it went off the air, no other local affiliate seemed to have any interest in such things. I had only my memories of such things as QUATERMASS, ATTACK OF THE GIANT LEECHES, DOGORA THE SPACE MONSTER and other "classics" to last me 25, 30, 35 years, until such things showed up on VHS and cable (there are several 50s films I haven't seen since then).

Obviously, even if some movies were scary, they hardly compare to a genuine paranormal event -- so you'd think they would not make as much of an impression. But I've been amazed how most of my memories have been almost eidetic for TV and movies I haven't seen in 40-45 years.

I have had a few major memory flubs, though. For instance, I remembered the TWILIGHT ZONE episode "The Invaders" as having actual little robot "spacemen" wandering through Agnes Moorehead's cabin. I even remembered the little gear-meshing noises they made as they moved. But when I caught up with the episode 20+ years later, the spacemen were chubby little rubber hand puppets.

Anyway, for really important events (like TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE :p ), my memory seemed to keep it pretty accurate for decades.

Good example. I must admit in the same way when I catch up with movies I watched as a child I still get a little nostalgic frisson when I recognise something from my memory banks. Just shows you how vivid a strange image can be, and how that could apply to weirdness not seen in film.

Back