• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Grid

A

Anonymous

Here comes the Matrix:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/800423.asp?0dm=T1ALT

IF COMPUTER OWNERS would agree how to share their machines in a kind of hypernetwork, and the computers, disk drives, and parts could talk with one another, that would give all those involved more computers to draw on.
Ideally, if they are linked well enough, then the individual computers melt into a bigger picture.
To David Levine, that sounds like a perfect world for computer games. He is the chief executive of start-up Butterfly.net, Inc., which is developing a grid for online computer gamers.
“If there is a large-scale war, a campaign could be going on across server boundaries,” he enthuses. Right now each powerful server computer handles a few thousand players, but the players cannot leap among machines.
“I can’t interact with the other quarter million people who are playing,” Levine says. If his project works, grid will unleash bigger and better fights.
Grids are serious business outside the gaming world, although it may be one of the first to use the technology to make money.
“I absolutely believe grid engine will be the time machine of the 21st century,” says Wolfgang Gentzsch, grid chief at high-end computer maker Sun Microsystems Inc .
Sun, along with International Business Machines Corp. , which works with Butterfly.net, sees the technology as key to its future.
Gentzsch likens it to “time machines” such as the internal combustion and steam engines, which sped up the world when they were introduced. “On the grid you can do things much, much faster, and you can do things you never were able to do before,” he says.

The grid.

So, is this the future for the internet? if so what will it cost, if broadband is anything to go by, it wont be for the masses.

FORGET THE INTERNET... LOG ON TO THE GRID Jul 4 2003

Huge leap in cyber evolution

By Helen Cook

A VAST system of linked super- computers called The Grid will revolutionise the internet by 2010, scientists said yesterday.

Developed for the huge amounts of data needed by research, it will put the processing power of the Pentagon into the palm of your hand.

Harnessed to ultra-fast wireless communications, it could give you instant access to every phone book in the world on your mobile. Or you could edit a film using a laptop

The Grid means home users will be able to access data, software and storage at centres containing thousands of linked databases.

Currently, net users are limited by the power and memory of their own machines, as the internet only provides a means for one computer to share data with another.

But The Grid allows any computer to take data from a source in, say, Singapore, process it on software in California and store it on a hard drive in India.

For science it will ease the monitoring of complex systems, such as weather, tides and astronomical telescopes. It will even help firefighters by taking information from detectors inside buildings and predicting how a fire will spread.

The system goes live in two weeks and is seen as the next step in cyber evolution. By this time next year it is expected more than 6,000 computers will be linked to The Grid and by 2007 that figure will be 100,000.

Scientists predict in less than eight years it will become as essential to life as the web once was.

Roger Cashmore, director of research at the European particle physics laboratory (Cern) near Geneva, said: "You just say I want this information and The Grid is set up so it goes out and collects that for you and makes it accessible."

Scientists in Geneva will announce the setting up of 10 laboratories around the world, including one at Didcot, Oxon. Bob Jones, a grid project manager, was at Cern when British scientist Tim Berners-Lee invented the internet there in 1989.

He said: "It'll be like the web. When you have it you'll wonder how you ever got by without it."

The Government has invested £118million over three years in grid internet technologies.

Meanwhile Liverpool University has received a £2million European grant to research and develop business uses for The Grid. Prof Dennis Kehoe said: "Say you are trying to plan how you deliver beer to all the pubs and clubs in the north-west of England, or how you deliver social care to all the people in mid-Wales.

"It will help solve these complex scheduling problems."

i may be a bit ..

it seems that this grid idea seems like its just another internet with more bandwidth plus an online operating system that can borrow network resorces?
or am i missing some kind of point?

Must admit I was a bit baffled, what can it do that google cant?

ok i know that it seems a bit complicated and to be honest im clue less about it also

but it seems that even though it isnt a microsort product the company that i work for and it seems a great many other people really trust its faltless operation, people seem to go for unix when they need to trust something and want it to be fast.

even though you have compatibility problems over a network its still worth the trouble

but even better is that the open code has microsoft shitting itself so im up for it on this basis alone.

is this what was called NET2?.... which seemed to be the media mogals trying to get the jeanie back in the bottle as per file shareing and free speech.....

Back