• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Hessdalen Project

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Published: 25 March 2004

Italian conference to study Hessdalen

The small Italian town of Cecina is establishing ties with the Norwegian village of Hessdalen. Hessdalen is world-renowned for its inexplicable light phenomena. A flurry of sightings in the early 1980's was skeptically received, but Hessdalen is now the focus of serious researchers who are willing to risk the taint of the unknown.

Cecina is hosting the most comprehensive conference on the Hessdalen phenomena, assembling of most of the scientists studying the phenomena.

The web magazine LoScrittoio.it, which often reports on scientific developments and theories regarding Hessdalen, is organizing the event, which includes cultural exhibits from both Tuscany and the Norwegian valley region.

Besides examining local observations and the progress of international scientists, the conference will also feature a discussion of how international media report on scientific and anomalous information.

The Hessdalen lights have waned recently, but a range of high-tech equipment constantly monitors the skies in the valley.

The municipality of Holtaalen, north of nearby Roeros, backed the building of a UFO center in 2000 but the attempt to combine study of the region's notorious lights with tourism did not catch on.

Italian authorities have long funded study of the Hessdalen lights at Italy's Institute for Radio Astronomy.

The Hessdalen Project's web site displays live observation of the valley skies around the clock.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article.jhtml?articleID=760612

Their website:

http://www.hessdalen.org

Emps

It gets a mention in the recent FT (FT189:30) and the paper mentioned is:

A Long-Term Scientific Survey of the Hessdalen Phenomenon
Teodorani M.
Journal of Scientific Exploration, 1 June 2004, vol. 18, iss. 2, pp. 217-251

Abstract:
The balls of light which appear in the Hessdalen valley in Norway are exemplary of anomalous atmospheric luminous phenomena that occur frequently at some locations on Earth. The recurrence of the phenomenon and the existence of an instrumented observation station makes this area an ideal research site. The apparent correlation of luminous phenomena with magnetic perturbations, radio emission, and radar tracks, found by Norwegian researchers, led some Italian physicists and engineers of the EMBLA Project to reanalyze the Norwegian data. The second step was three explorative, instrumented, field-study expeditions. The behavior of the phenomenon was monitored with optical, radio, and radar techniques. The global picture of the phenomenon obtained so far shows that the phenomenon's radiant power varies, reaching values up to 19 kW. These changes are caused by sudden surface variations of the illuminated area owing to the appearance of clusters of light balls that behave in a thermally self-regulated way. Apparent characteristics consistent with a solid are strongly suspected from the study of distributions of radiant power. Other anomalous characteristics include the capability to eject smaller light balls, some unidentified frequency shift in the VLF range, and possible deposition of metallic particles. A self-consistent definitive theory of the phenomenon's nature and origin in all its aspects cannot be constructed yet quantitatively, but some of the observations can be explained by an electrochemical model for the ball-lightning phenomenon. The importance is stressed of using more sophisticated instrumentation in the future.

Keywords: ATMOSPHERIC ANOMALY; HESSDALEN LIGHTS; PLASMA PHYSICAL; BALL LIGHTNING; ASTROPHYSICAL TECHNIQUES; THEORY

It sounds like a fascinating insight into earthlights (I don't have easy access to the journal though so....) and the like and the annual guided tour of the area sounds intriguing.

[edit: The JSE are adding all thier papers to their site for free so keep an eye on this page:

http://www.scientificexploration.org/jse/abstracts/v18n2a2.php ]

I've seen and had first hand experience with these 'light forms' myself here in england. The only problem for the scientific community is that they exhibit 'intelligence'...I mean the lights not just the scientists!

;)

Can you give some examples?

I think this aspect is fascinating as it crops up from time to time - a number of WWII fighter pilots ascribed some kind of sentience to foo fighters.

My question qould be is this intelligence or the appearance of intelligence.

I'm sure someone has worked up criteria for this kind of thing but responding to external stimuli or events isn't enough. Being able to respon to commands would be good e.g. "move left" and it does as long as it went on long enough to eliminate coincidence.

People tend to ascribe intention to movement, regardless of whether or not the moving object is sentient e.g. doors that move "by themselves" bring to mind ghosts.

"Eliminating coincidence" - I think you're thinking of the standard test for causality: is the antecedent necessary and sufficient for the consequent? e.g. does the object move left if (sufficient) and only if (necessary) you ask it to? But then you're not demonstrating intelligence per se, but obedience.

Example:

When I lived in London there was a spate of peculiar light forms seen and interacted with. I did not witness theses events alone but often with others.

Imagine you are outside in your garden in the dark. Suddenly a circle of light envelopes you and casts a shadow directly under neath you. The circle of light looks very much like that cast by a very bright tourch. More lumious center and outer rim. You look round to see where it is coming from but there is no beam and no visible source. Suddenly the the 'invisible source moves from directly above you to apparently right beside you and cast your shadow on a wall right behind you. Everyone present becomes alarmed. Then the patch of light races up the wall onto the roof and takes off at a tremendous speed over the roof tops and even jumps up into the low clouds. Also this phenomemna often starts by doing something starnge that might mimic a natural cuse (i.e torch light) then when you have thought or felt 'O.K. it's only a torch it then does something outrageous like spinning around you at great speed, often joined by similar light foms and them roaming around playfully like ,say, a kitten or puppy. When you think you have 'cornered' on it just goes out before you can touch it. More often that not they play a game of 'cat and mouse' Never once have I seen these lights enter inside a house - they always remained outside.

Does this help in illustrating what I mean?

Indra Keys said:

It helps but I'd like to hear more examples.

This sounds like something different from earthlights as it is just light but it may be a related phenomenon (unless I've misunderstood)

A light spinning around you or being joined by others needn't be any sign of intelligence. What it kind of reminded me of was the robotics research where they give the robots very simple rules and then they see apparently complex 'behaviour' emerging - its largely been aimed at explaining insect behaviour or as a differrent route to create AI but it does seem applicbale here. They might be interacting with you and each other purely because they are nearby sources of.... electricity? and complex 'behaviour' may have emerged from this.

Describing such things as "playful"/"cat and mouse" are just interpretaions and 'anthropomorphising'.

Originally posted by Indra Keys
Sounds to me like a neighbour with a torch or spotlight was playing a joke on you.

Dr X said:
Sounds to me like a neighbour with a torch or spotlight was playing a joke on you.

Could be true ! But if you read the post again you will see that the actions of the lights ruled that out ! Remember, these things happened to others in the area and many of the occasiuons involving me directly had other people involved.

They might be interacting with you and each other purely because they are nearby sources of.... electricity? and complex 'behaviour' may have emerged from this.

Very good point!

I'm trying to use descriptive words to give you the feel of the behaviour. I'm not dogmatic in the interpretation because I just don't know the answer myself.

Equally you can dismiss any behaviour as machine like if you rationalise about it enough. However, there was at times the element of anticipation that denoted intelligence.

In a long dark narrow alley way when a 6ft circle of light is 'shadowing' you along one wall and the promtly jumping tto the other wall directly behind you when you try to touch it is a bit too cleaver for even eianstien with a flash light! Where was he hiding and why was his flash light NOT casting a beam !!!

Indra Keys said:
I'm trying to use descriptive words to give you the feel of the behaviour. I'm not dogmatic in the interpretation because I just don't know the answer myself.

And to be honest whatever it is it doesn't sound like anything currently easily explained by science so whatever it is is fascinating.

Indra Keys said:
Equally you can dismiss any behaviour as machine like if you rationalise about it enough. However, there was at times the element of anticipation that denoted intelligence.

Well not necessarily machine-like but I was using the example to say that complex 'behvaiour' can emerge from very simple rules. It may be that it is intelligent but the behaviour displayed doesn't sound sufficient to prove intelligence.

Indra Keys said:
In a long dark narrow alley way when a 6ft circle of light is 'shadowing' you along one wall and the promtly jumping tto the other wall directly behind you when you try to touch it is a bit too cleaver for even eianstien with a flash light! Where was he hiding and why was his flash light NOT casting a beam !!!

It does sound like the phenomena is difficult to hoax or at some point you'd cast a shadow or block any hypothetical beams (although you may not see them unless they have those fancy X-file torches). Some questions:

1. It sounds like they are sourceless lights not balls of light (as often described) is that right?

2. How often does this happen?

3. Does it happen in any specific area?

4. Have you tried to capture it on film?

Hi !

I'm back....been off line for a few days while I upgraded my PC!
i.e loads of bits all over the floor + lots of swearing and doing everything wrong first!!!

Emps, I'll write up briefly the observations you requested about these strange lights. Needless to say I am absolutly telling the truth. I really do like your observation about 'robotic' behaviour. I get your point and was not offended. Just a peculiar thought maybe the lightds aresomething to do with an 'artificial intelligence' used to explore other worlds ??!!!

I'll post again tomorrow.

Indra

1. It sounds like they are sourceless lights not balls of light (as often described) is that right?

That's correct...circles of lights seen when they fall upon a physical object.

2. How often does this happen?

Frequency of occurence was irregular but periods would happen like a UFO 'flap' when they would appear for several nights.

3. Does it happen in any specific area?

No not really, they were first seen in London in the very late 70's and then again by me here in Sussex in the late 80's early 90's. Although they would seem to occur at ground level first, slide up walls then race along roof tops without elongating or changing size.

4. Have you tried to capture it on film?

Yes !!! That was the infuriating thing when ever you went and got a camera or produced one at hand they would vanish often coming back when you no longer had the camera. I personally experienced 2 occasions when the camera refused to work. I know this is all going to sound like a lame excuse but its true!! Maybe thats why UFO's are often difficult to capture on film!?

Any comments...!?

Back