• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova

StoryofE

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Anybody read this one yet? It just came out here stateside. Publisher's Weekly says:
Starred Review. Considering the recent rush of door-stopping historical novels, first-timer Kostova is getting a big launch—fortunately, a lot here lives up to the hype. In 1972, a 16-year-old American living in Amsterdam finds a mysterious book in her diplomat father's library. The book is ancient, blank except for a sinister woodcut of a dragon and the word "Drakulya," but it's the letters tucked inside, dated 1930 and addressed to "My dear and unfortunate successor," that really pique her curiosity. Her widowed father, Paul, reluctantly provides pieces of a chilling story; it seems this ominous little book has a way of forcing itself on its owners, with terrifying results. Paul's former adviser at Oxford, Professor Rossi, became obsessed with researching Dracula and was convinced that he remained alive. When Rossi disappeared, Paul continued his quest with the help of another scholar, Helen, who had her own reasons for seeking the truth. As Paul relates these stories to his daughter, she secretly begins her own research. Kostova builds suspense by revealing the threads of her story as the narrator discovers them: what she's told, what she reads in old letters and, of course, what she discovers directly when the legendary threat of Dracula looms. Along with all the fascinating historical information, there's also a mounting casualty count, and the big showdown amps up the drama by pulling at the heartstrings at the same time it revels in the gruesome. Exotic locales, tantalizing history, a family legacy and a love of the bloodthirsty: it's hard to imagine that readers won't be bitten, too.
I just finished it and thought it was great. I had a hard time putting it down. This is a must read for fans of Dracula folklore. I read the other day that Sony Pictures paid seven figures for the movie rights before it even came out.

Just ordering it now... I'll make you feel guilty if I don't like it :D

Steve.

Just noticed, there's a signed and dated 1st edition on ebay if that sort of thing takes anyone's fancy.

Steve.

I'm in the midst of it, and really enjoying it. Nicely atmospheric, though the prose occasionally wanders into purple-ish territory. But it's a Dracula story, so I should hope that it would!

And I even have a scary story about it myself...

Twas a dark and stormy last Friday afternoon. Extraordinarily stormy, actually, so I decided to avoid electronics, unplugged the computers, turned off the tv and most lights, etc. What else was there to do but read The Historian? I lounged in the bedroom, becoming increasingly engrossed in the story when...

*tap*tap*tap*

Distinctive, human knocking at the door. It's the middle of the day and our small apartment building is, as far as I know, empty. The knock startles me and I jump off of the bed and bolt into the living room. Too nervous to open the door, I shout, "Hello?"

No response...

"Hello? Who is it?"

No response...

Dead silence... no one is there (not that I dared open the door to verify that).

Well... looking back, my guess is that the knocking was caused by something perfectly natural and non-human- the wind, the rain, a neighbor's cat... but it did manage to give me the jibblies!

Creepy! There wasn't any old books left on your doorstep were there? :twisted:

I wish!

Of course, when the boyfriend got home and I told him about it he had to remind me of the urban legend in which something similar happens and...

...it turns out it's a friend of the apartment-dweller who has had their throat slashed, so they can't speak- and they die because the friend doesn't open the door!

I've just finished this book, it was a good read if not a bit flat in places, monotone-like. The author seems to like her food though, each description of the characters' meals seemed to go on and on and yet the descriptions of the characters themselves were much too brief in some cases.

Anyhow it's a good book, thought-provoking and full of historical facts and it also acts as a good travelogue in a way that is very interesting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0316730319/

I'm reading it now, after stumbling across this thread a while ago. It's a rather pleasant and lengthy read. Very interesting story so far, filled with lots of lore, historical facts and thought-provoking theories. I'm rather enjoying it so taking my time to savour the book. I believe it will make it's way unto my paperback collection bookshelf.

Finished it at last - and I must say I found it quite absorbing. I think the title was very apt as the tale whips you back and forth through history with a dizzying effect, so that you must actively fight disorientation. I'm left with a clear impression of the breadth and depth of Ms Kostova's imagination to have conjured up such a rich fantasy out of clearly well-researched historical fact. My only peeve is that I'm also left knowing more and surmising more about Vlad Dracula than I could have ever wanted. Since he was such an unsavoury and sadistic character, it almost seems unfair that his cruel life would inspire such an epic story. But alas, it is most often the villains who change the face of this world and create history. Evil seems to stain the memory much more than good. Perhaps, as Kostova's Dracula says, it is only evil that is truly perfectible and enduring, and thus it fascinates even the best of us.

Back