• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Hobbit Film

A critical review:

The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey, film review
Robbie Collin reviews Peter Jackson's adaptation of The Hobbit, ahead of its UK release, starring Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen.
By Robbie Collin
5:36PM GMT 09 Dec 2012

Dir: Peter Jackson; Starring: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Cate Blanchett, Ken Stott, James Nesbitt. 12A cert, 169 min.

“Like butter that has been scraped over too much bread” was how JRR Tolkien described the supernatural world-weariness of Bilbo Baggins in the opening chapter of The Lord of the Rings.

This phrase, incomparably Tolkien-esque in its syntactic neatness and semantic beauty, is also a perfect description for the first instalment in Peter Jackson’s three-part adaptation of The Hobbit, which I now fear is doomed to be referred to as a ‘prequel’ to Tolkien’s fantasy magnum opus.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey barely leaves the driveway. The film lasts for 11 minutes short of three hours, and takes us to the end of chapter six in Tolkien’s original novel, which falls on page 130 of the official movie tie-in edition. That’s half an hour per chapter, or one minute and 20 seconds per page. The work of the sombre Hungarian auteur Béla Tarr, whose grinding tale of apocalyptic poverty The Turin Horse ran to a mere 155 minutes, feels nippy by comparison.

This film is so stuffed with extraneous faff and flummery that it often barely feels like Tolkien at all – more a dire, fan-written internet tribute. The book begins with the unimprovable ten-word opening sentence: “In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit.” Jackson, by contrast, starts with an interminable narrative detour about a mining operation run by a team of dwarfs, involving magic crystals, orc armies and details of dwarf family trees that are of interest, at this early stage in what is supposed to be a family film, to almost nobody.

The stuffing is required because Jackson and Warner Bros have divided Tolkien’s fairly short story into three incredibly long films, which will mean vastly inflated box office revenues at the small cost of artistic worth and entertainment.

Jackson has also chosen to shoot the film at 48 frames per second rather than the industry standard of 24. The intention is to make the digital special effects and swoopy landscape shots look smoother, which they do. The unintended side effect is that the extra visual detail gives the entire film a sickly sheen of fakeness: the props look embarrassingly proppy and the rubber noses look a great deal more rubbery than nosey. I was reminded of the BBC’s 1988 production of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and not in a good way.

Eventually we are introduced to Bag End, and Bilbo Baggins as Martin Freeman, who makes exactly one-third of a good job of portraying the character. We also meet Gandalf (Ian McKellen) and the 13 dwarves who accompany Bilbo on his adventure. Ken Stott stands out as the bibulous Balin and James Nesbitt is rather good as the mischievous Bofur, but the others move around as a kind of amorphous dramatic blob. Also, two of their names are mispronounced throughout the entire film, which is unforgivable.

Off the party treks towards the gold hoard at the Lonely Mountain, stopping off at the Elvish city of Rivendell: the Middle Earth equivalent of Heston Services. 8) Here, Gandalf has an interminable conversation with Galadriel (Cate Blanchett), Saruman (Christopher Lee) and Elrond (Hugo Weaving), which gets so boring that Bilbo and the dwarves leave without them.

Thank heavens for Andy Serkis, whose riddling return as Gollum steals the entire film. It is the only time the digital effects and smoother visuals underline, rather than undermine, the mythical drama of Bilbo’s adventure. As a lover of cinema, Jackson’s film bored me rigid; as a lover of Tolkien, it broke my heart.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... eview.html

<Stuffs Simaril, by the light of which she is reading `Beowulf` under the covers, hastily down trousers.>

Told you so.

Only seen the previews so far. Not happy. Where's the freakin' dragon?!!! :wtf:
I've heard PJ is dragging this out to three movies, but it looks like the first two hours is going to be dwarves singing. :headbutt:
IMO, the big draw of the story is "HOLY CRAP, that TALKING DRAGON is coming to BURN DOWN THE TOWN!! AGAIN!!!"

Yes, I mean, that was all that the hobbit was about really.

A dull Edwardian Middle middle class gent gets to have a conversation with a dragon....

IMHO The Hobbit book is much better than The Lord of the Rings. It's fast paced, witty, and Bilbo and Gandalf have more character (in this incarnation) than the whole LOTR ensemble put together.

But THREE films. I ask you! :roll:

I'm still going to see it at the weekend. :oops:

I'm booked into a 'luxury' screening this Saturday. Sofa armchairs, seats around forty people with big spacing and big steps for an unimpeded view, waiter service that serves beers and snacks.

If the film is dodgy, at least I'll manage the first few hours good rest and relaxation this week.

Yes, I think that might be the answer.

Are the sofas supplied with a commode?

For info:

You can get a free official The Hobbit 2013 film calendar worth £9.99 when you buy The Telegraph newspaper this Saturday.

To mark the release of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey at cinemas nationwide, The Telegraph have teamed up with Danilo to give away the free official film 2013 calendar to all readers.

Simply purchase The Telegraph newspaper on Saturday 15th December for full details of how to claim you free calendar.

Terms & Conditions
For more details visit The Telegraph website

Read more: http://deals.money.co.uk/deal/117263-fr ... z2F2RpSSJj

SPOILERS GALORE

Kondoru said:
Yes, I think that might be the answer.

Are the sofas supplied with a commode?

No, but they are those electric things that move back to fully-reclining, placing one's legs in a positively gynecological pose.

Here's a photo from my phone:
IMG_1075_zps33377cc1-1_zpsebd26330.jpg

Free popcorn, snack and regular-sized drink!

Anyway, the film:
First, I enjoyed it. The caveat to that, however, is to say that I feel I've just watched a fine adaptation of The Hobbit embedded in a larger and flabbier, movie: The Lord of the Rings: Episode 1.

Where Peter Jackson opted to leave out Tom Bombadil in his first film, in this one he's done the equivalent of throwing him in along with his distant cousins and pets. 'The Hobbit' scenes were most enjoyable, but the driving need to 'name', 'place' and 'locate' everything possible, like some cross-referenced concordance of a film, is really unneccessary and will, no doubt, put off casual fans. Expect lots of:

"Behold EXOTIC SOUNDER, THE ITEM/OBJECT/WEAPON of X! Y'd in the Nth Age when Race/Character A was but a B, and C had yet to VERB Race/Character E - it will serve us well."

Gripes:
a) Cartoon fighting: expect more shield-surfing, multiple arrow shooting comic-book stunts. Expect also a Radagast rollercoaster ride to open somewhere in the world before long.
b) Lack of blood: decapitations, disembowling slashes and cranial stabs aboud, yet not a drop to be seen, red or black!
c) Silly inflated-character alert: here Azog, who looks like a smoother Ray Harryhausen construct. He sniffs, snarls, bellows and charges, sniffs, snarls, bellows and charges, sniffs, snarls bellows and charges - and awaits an inevitable death in Part 2 accompanied by a stirling fanfare of 'Deep-Dwarven Theme'. Cf. Lurtz from the earlier films - with whom he shares his depth of character.
d) Worst part: the second half of the Galadiel, Elrond, Saruman and Gandalf debate at Rivendell - lots of 'name-dropping' [see above], little plot-continuantion or relevance; felt like a base-touching reunion before we returned to the film proper. Also makes Saruman look like an idiot: which I didn't like, Cf. Denethor the slob and Wormtongue the transparently sinister (how did he ever get employed?): evil must look and sound bad at all times. Broad strokes here.

All this notwithstanding, an enjoyable evening's viewing.
Gollum and Bilbo were great.

Edit: The Great Goblin sounded and looked good. Barry Humphries has a great voice for the part - and, indeed, a 'great' dying line to deliver.
Edit: I watched a lot of the production videos and all the trailers, and I must say, they held a lot back.
Edit2: Apparently Barry Humphries gets more scenes in the (already cut and complete!) extended edition.

<shakes head sadly>

And as for the gore; Its a 12 rating, right? Um, its a bedtime story...did they need to make it so violent?

He did!

I didn't actually mind either of the two sings sung in bag end, which was a surprise to myself.

Saw it last night. No 3D, no HFR. Been a generation since I read the book.
Nice CGI, nice scenic cinematography. All the stuff PJ does well.
Not so much "The Hobbit", more like, Peter Jackson recounts "The Hobbit" from memory after reading everything JRR ever wrote, and getting things a bit muddled up.
Radagast? really?!
The tone was much darker than the book, more like tLotR than "The Hobbit". Why, Peter, why? Couldn't you wrap your head around the idea that you could have two totally different stories set in the same world using some of the same characters.

to give it the Joe Bob Briggs tally:
53,212 dead bodies
0 bare breasts
1252 beasts
dwarf-fu
dwarf-tossing
2 breakfasts
6.17 minutes dwarves singing
1.25 seconds of dragon
2 dope-smoking wizards

Thats about 50K stiffs too many.

We can scratch all dwarf singing....

...And a distinct lack of Draco....

Well, there are some liberties taken that I'm not entirely happy with, but the plus side is that Thorin is 100% hotter than Aragorn, and if Aragorn had looked like that, I'd have liked the LOTR films better.

The fights were good. There were some highly amusing moments. An amusing set up escape. One or two unforgivable comments, similar to 'dwarf tossing'.

I suppose the proof is in the fact that I would quite like to see it again, and I am really wanting to watch the second part.

Martin Freeman is a much better hobbit than whatisname Frodo bloke. Or Merry, Pippin, or Sam. Okay, I didn't like most of the casting in LOTR - if any of it. But the casting in the Hobbit is a lot better.

Best film I've seen since I can remember. Verry slow to get rolling, but it was spectacular after the first 45 min. My favourite of Jackson's Tolkein films thus far, and I adored the LOTR trilogy. I saw this today in 3D and in 48fpm. Standout scenes were the flight from the goblin realm, Bilbo's encounter with Gollum and (what I'll call) the 'summit of the wise'. Cate Blanchett and Ian McKellen's tender moment was truly awesome, these two the greatest of their respective generations. The film is deep and rich in the lore of Middle Earth (no surprises there), and a knockout visually. I was blown away. The criticisms of padding etc are somewhat justified, but please don't waste this film by viewing it like a critic. Go in for a bit of fun and you might just get a bit more out of it. This one superseded my middle-sized expectations by miles. Peter Jackson, take a bow. 5/5 Magical! I haven't ever 'ooh'd and 'aah'd so much in a cinema (except perhaps when I was 16 in the back row with Juicy Janie Jones ...). Can't wait to go again.

Agree with the above poster about the excellent casting. My wife thought Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage?) would have made a better Aragorn! I thought Thorin was the standout character of this film. Jim Nesbitt is great (as always). The actor who played Balin was also good. The character development among the large cast was well-balanced. Each dwarf gets a few lines and they all make their unique mark. The film affords LOTR audiences insights into McKellen's Gandalf, and Martin Freeman complements Ian Holm's Bilbo to a remarkable degree. The score is better than LOTR. The CGI is seamless. The cinematography is hugely enhanced by the brilliant 3D. It really felt like I went to the movies today, like when I was a kid and movies were a kind of magic. It was so much fun.

I went to see this DVT-inducing movie a couple of days ago.
It seems to have attracted some so-so reviews to which I'd say if we hadn't had LOTR, we'd be opened-mouthed at the effects of the orcs and monsters, the juggling of the scale of Gandalf in among the dwarves at Bilbo's house and the epic scale of the whole thing in general. I suppose Jackson's done such a good job the critics have been spoilt.

What did bother me however was the casting of Martin Freeman who was a bit too Surbiton. It was fine for Arthur Dent but it felt a little wrong for me.
This was offset by the rather excellent animation of the Gollum puppet which has now become so subtle, he's expressing his inner trauma by facial expressions alone. Same with the Pale Orc. At the confrontation at the end, the script calls for a sly and evil smile which the facial rig delivers.
Really good stuff.

I rather loved the humming Dwarf Song which gave them a bit of gravitas in a film I thought was aimed at a younger audience than LOTR but like that trilogy, there is one inherent problem...

Spolier...................

'Er...Gandalf. I wish you'd mentioned the big fighty eagles that can fly you anywhere before we bought the ponies.'

jimv1 said:
What did bother me however was the casting of Martin Freeman who was a bit too Surbiton. It was fine for Arthur Dent but it felt a little wrong for me.

Yeah, I have my reservations about casting Martin Freeman. I just don't think he's 'big screen' material.
But...I haven't seen this film yet. I might be wrong.

I think he manages the common touch necessary for a hobbit far better than Ian Holm, Elijah Wood (who was - frankly - just asking for a slap with those puppy dog eyes. Seriously. I'd have thrown him in Mount Doom), or any of the other actors who've tried their hands at hobbits in the other films. They've either been blocks of wood, or blocks of wood with the most god-awful fake 'country bumpkin' accents I've heard. And I live in Devon.

Ravenstone said:
They've either been blocks of wood, or blocks of wood with the most god-awful fake 'country bumpkin' accents I've heard. And I live in Devon.
Arr, that'd be the Mummerzet accent, me dear. Tis compulsry in the meejah, as Oi've heard folk say... Speak it fierce-like, an' they use it fer Pirates an' all!

rynner2 said:
Speak it fierce-like, an' they use it fer Pirates an' all!

Quite bizarre when you consider Captain Kidd was Scottish, and Henry Morgan was Welsh. :lol:

Well I saw this last night and have to say I was pleasantly surprised, nowhere near as bad as expected even if Gandalf was the main thing carrying it for me.

I was kind of wondering if it was going to end on a literal cliffhanger with the bit where they're in the tree... :lol: I blame that on Sylvester McCoy showing up earlier on covered in birdshit. :lol:

And was it just me or did the whole thing have a sort of BBC on a Sunday afternoon type feel to it?

OneWingedBird said:
And was it just me or did the whole thing have a sort of BBC on a Sunday afternoon type feel to it?

Ha! I hadn't thought of that, but now you mention it, yeah, I know exactly what you mean.

I've seen it twice, and the first time, I thought it was over long and self indulgent. On second viewing though, it was a great movie and rattled along at a hell of a pace (apart from the Frodo scene, which was unneeded...).

OneWingedBird said:
I blame that on Sylvester McCoy showing up earlier on covered in birdshit. :lol:

Sylvester McCoy is in it? Dear God, no. :cry:

Back