• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The human battery: Fuel cell runs on blood

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Surely the Matrix "human battery" scenario is only a few steps away.

Some useful applications in the meantime though ;)

New fuel cell opens way for artificial hearts

May 13 2005 at 09:10AM

Tokyo - A Japanese research team has developed a fuel cell that runs on blood without using toxic substances, opening the way for use in artificial hearts and other organs.

The biological fuel cell uses glucose, a sugar in blood, with a non-toxic substance used to draw electrons from glucose, said the team led by Matsuhiko Nishizawa, bio-engineering professor at the graduate school of state-run Tohoku University.

"Since the electron mediator is based on Vitamin K3, which exists in human bodies, it excels in safety and could in the future generate power from blood as an implant-type fuel cell," the group said in a statement.

Most other bio-fuel cells under study use a metal complex, spawning concern about harm if used for implants.

The newly developed cell in the size of a tiny coin is able to generate 0,2 milliwatts of electricity, enough to power a device that measures blood sugar level and transmits data elsewhere, the group said. -

----------
Sapa-AFP

Source

i dont want to know where theyll put the emgerancy power socket in case of power failure :eek!!!!:

A very interesting piece of technology if it makes it out of it's infancy and can be worked on a larger scale - if you can generate electricity directly from sugars, then sugar cane/beet become fuel crops!

I'm diabetic - this technology is of no use to me.

Depends on your tyoe of diabetes...
either way expect the Pentagon to be interested. Weapons that run on Snickers...

Back