• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Kirkby Spaceman (Kirkby's Urban, Too!)

signalnorth

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This is a bit of a long shot but I wondered if anyone had any newspaper cuttings from the 1970's in relation to the 'Kirkby Spaceman' incidents
as I remember the incidents being reported in the local press at the time.

Here's hoping

Your gunna have to give us some more info - I guess that's 'Kirkby' Liverpool/Knowsley, and not some guy called Kirkby?

What do you remember of these incidents?

Ok well in the early or mid 70's there were a number of incidents reported of people seeing a silvery suited v tall figure seen around roads and houses in the East Lancs Road area of Kirkby. (Merseyside) On one occasion it was seen by a couple (suuposedly) peering into their living room on Perimater Road (I think that's the name of the road) It's the road that runs parrallel to the East Lancs (A quite lonely rural road)

From reports the figure seemed to dissapear as suddenly as it appeared and certainly but the frighteners on a number of people.

I know from a friend of mine that a Farmer (My friends brother) who lived in the area saw a 'UFO' at a very low height from a very close distance and what appeared to be a similar figure as described within the crafts vicinity.

That's about all I know about it. Given how much it was reported at the time I've always been suprised at never finding anyone else who remembers it all, hence the original post

If it wasn't Ziggy Stardust himself, it was almost certainly attributable to some teenage glam rock fan sporting a tinfoil zipsuit, a built up frightwig and 12" platforms.

Interesting link. Thanks. Huyton is not a million miles away from Kirkby. Hmmnn.

There was a silver-suited alien photographed in the American South during the last major United States UFO flap in 1973.

But the trouble with "silver suits" of that kind is that they're so very easy to fake - all it takes is a large roll of aluminum foil.

OldTimeRadio said:
There was a silver-suited alien photographed in the American South during the last major United States UFO flap in 1973.

Are these them, OTR?

(click to enlarge): -

But the trouble with "silver suits" of that kind is that they're so very easy to fake - all it takes is a large roll of aluminum foil.

I'm saying nowt... ;)

I vaguely remember it - didn't the figure do the obligatory "looking into somebody's window and frightening a housewife" thing? Also seem to remember it being mentioned on Newsround, would have def been early seventies. (It was around the same time as the load of schoolkids in Wales seeing a goblin thing in a flying saucer by the playing field at break-time. The great Craven was a triff source of Fort stuff way back when....)

Anyway, back OT I think Jenny Randles mentioned it in one of her NW England-centric books (hang on, that's all of them...)

WhistlingJack said:
Are these them, OTR?

(click to enlarge): -

Yes, to the first photos.

But I've never previously seen the stuff at your second link. Can you tell me anything about the image? Who, where, when? These creatures look more likely to have come from a seance rather than from space. (Or is there actually a difference?)

WhistlingJack said:
The top two photos appear to be enhancements taken from the bottom photo depicting the four figures, check the enlarged versions.

stuneville said:
Anyway, back OT I think Jenny Randles mentioned it in one of her NW England-centric books (hang on, that's all of them...)
no, she did at least one on rendlesham (east anglia), iirc 8)

WhistlingJack said:
Sorry, I don't know anything about the second image except that I found it at this web site - spacejay.com :?

Jack, thanks for the link. There are several "alien" photographs here which I've never seen before. I call special attention to the rather "dog-faced" humanoid in image Alien-44 JPG, which probably deserves discussion on the FTMBs. It's really strange.

HenryFort said:
The top two photos appear to be enhancements taken from the bottom photo depicting the four figures, check the enlarged versions.

No, Henry, I don't think that's possible.

The "krinkly tin foil" alien was taken of a single (supposed) alien by a police chief in the United States in 1973, I believe in either Alabama or Georgia (I forget which).

It WASN'T a group shot,

WhistlingJack said:

It seems to me that the two individual photos as given are figures #2 and #4 from the "group shot". I dont know the origin of any of the photos given or whether this has come about through artifice or otherwise.

Looking at the group shot, it seems that this photo could have been "constructed" from the two individual shots, using reproductions of differing sizes and definition to give the impression of disparate figures at a range of dsitances from the camera. But to me, the figures #1 and #3 and #4 are identical. Look at the hands, and the heads of #3 and #4 in the enlargements. This might also help explain the loss of detail between the two individual shots and the group shot, airbrushing or whatever.

That's possible, perhaps even likely, if what you're claiming is that the group shot was created from the 1973 US photograph.

In that case the group photograph has to be a hoax, regardless of what we might think of the 1973 material. (I've always been a little suspicious of that creature's willingness to so matter-of-factly pose for a terrestrial camera.)

P. S. For what it's worth, the third figure in the group photograph strikes me as female

Never done this before (in fact I only installed photoshop last week to try an produce a graffitti art/stencil image of Charles de Gaulle for a pals essay) but the below represents a half hours work using the two individual images, size-adjusted, and a little "blur" and "diffuse glow", built-in photoshop effects.

final.jpg

It does seem likely that the original "group shot" (bottom frame) has been assembled in this way, to my eyes at least. Perhaps not with photoshop, but with the original manual effects applied that photoshop functionality approximates.

The group photo appeared on the cover of a 1974 book, 'Beyond Earth: Man's Contact with UFOs' by Ralph and Judy Blum, which mainly dealt with the Pascagoula incident.

http://www.biblio.com/books/12724860.html

I was always under the impression that it had been created for the book, but my own copy is long gone so I can't confirm.

naitaka said:
The group photo appeared on the cover of a 1974 book, 'Beyond Earth: Man's Contact with UFOs' by Ralph and Judy Blum, which mainly dealt with the Pascagoula incident....I was always under the impression that it had been created for the book, but my own copy is long gone so I can't confirm.

So the "group shot" followed the original by only a year....and perhaps merely by months.

And it was an artistic creation for illustrative/decorative purposes rather than a hoax.

I think that you and Henry have solved the mystery.

This stirred a memory. These glam-rock figures had featured before. Turns out to be a long way back: I'd posted about a local pair of them on this thread just two weeks after joining:

Here

"Leafing through the handy Modern Mysteries of Britain book by
the Bords, I find the nearest uncanny encounter was in Whitefield,
about five miles away. A man there saw two six foot men with long
blond hair, tight trousers and heavy boots. Well it was 1959, so
I suppose it was mildly unusual."

Leafing through that gazetteer of Strange Events again over five years later, I see that an entity with a silvery sphere was seen in Leigh on 11th May, 1976. Children witnessed a silver suited entity in North Reddish in late August the same year.

Things sure glittered in them days! :)

naitaka said:
The group photo appeared on the cover of a 1974 book, 'Beyond Earth: Man's Contact with UFOs' by Ralph and Judy Blum, which mainly dealt with the Pascagoula incident.

http://www.biblio.com/books/12724860.html

I was always under the impression that it had been created for the book, but my own copy is long gone so I can't confirm.

Darn - that's where I saw those photos! I was going to post that I remembered it being associated with Pascagoula but I couldn't remember why. Thanks, naitaka, for the memory nudge.

S

I'm bumping another ancient thread (my forte ;)) as this one really caught my interest and the thread got somewhat off topic with the old US tin foil humanoid photo. So does anyone have any more information on the original post? Was there some confusion with the case of the Coombs family which inspired the 1979 book by Clive Harold, The Uninvited? With the spaceman looking through a family's window and terrifying them? Or am I misremembering that case?

Back