• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mighty Rushing Winds

A

Anonymous

Warning: this is not a flatulence thread. Sorry to disappoint :)

A friend who has had two possible encounters with a poltergeist in the same property, described a localised gale force wind which occurred indoors immediately after the main poltergeist activity. These "Mighty Rushing Winds" (as my friend calls them) seemed to swirl around her. They sounded more ferocious than they actually were, although they were still strong enough to blow her hair around. The windows in the room were shut on both occasions and the weather outside the house was calm.

Has anyone come across cases of rushing winds or similar phenomena associated with poltergeist activity ? Or had a similar experience of their own ?

This is a new one to me. But then I'm no expert.

...how strange that I should read two things in the same day that seem remarkably similar, yet I've never heard of anything like them before.

I'm a subscriber to the IGHS newsletter and was reading through some old newsletters today and I found a submitted story in the newsletter from 2nd September 2001 which described much the same thing as you are describing, but this took place outdoors. If you want to read this you can try contacting the webmaster for the IGHS (Dave Oester, I think his name is)...there website is

http://www.ghostweb.com

...and I'm sure he'd be happy to send you this newsletter. If you get stuck though, I'll retype the story for you and get ti over to you.

Sort of. The Discovery Channel (I believe) had actual video
of an investigator entering a basement, only to
find herself (and her camera, fortunately) surrounded by
a fast moving, swirling mist.
It appeared suddenly as they entered the doorway,
and when the camera entered, it looked like
viewing a snow storm through a windshield.
After a few seconds, it simply vanished!

The investigator claims that this type of
phenomenon is MORE common than ghostly apparitions.

The old TV series "Sightings" frequently talked about
cold spots where you could feel the rush of air past
your arms and legs. They carefully noted that there was
no air conditioner or ductwork in the area.

What you describe DOES sound familiar... and it may be
more common than we realize!

TVgeek

I read a ghost story (ie fiction!) called, I think, "The Wind".

Somebody had encountered a supernatural type of wind up some remote mountain, and somehow it had followed him home to his quiet country cottage. Its activities there gradually became more and more terrifying until..... :eek!!!!:

Anyone else read it?

Reminds me of my very first ghost hunt actually. It was exactly this kind of phenomenon experienced by my then best friend's mother, and IIRC her parents. It was described to me as you say, a sudden, extremely violent blast of air through a doorway - much stronger than any conventional draught.

There isn't anything fortean about indoor winds. It is the strange and mysterious science of aerodynamics. For instance the very strong blast of wind through a doorway is common in a lot of buildings. I get that in every doorway in my school, it is odd I'll admit especially the way that just 6 inches or so in front of the door no wind can be felt at all. I suspect its is due to minute differences in air pressure between rooms. As regards wind in unusual directions in a apparently normal room that is just bad archictecture -my mother worked in a 1960's office block on the south bank for a while where in one corridor the wind went up; lifting the skirts of unlucky secretaries. some alerations were made by an engineer to the venillation and the windows and it was no longer a problem. All perfectly explainable.

Back