• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mystery Bird Of Radcliffe

Very interesting - I wonder if some day a lost contemporary picture might emerge of this mystery bird?

I've seen some truly-massive herons, at times. Their size can be very difficult to estimate without proper references.

Interestingly, herons seem (certainly within Scotland) normally to keep well-away from urban & industrial skies, restricting themselves to flights above rivers and protected coastal areas. This gives them something of a localised rarity, if they then do a cross-over into towns.

Some have a blue-grey colouration that makes them almost look like flying shadows, even in full sunlight. Their effortless movement through the air is really impressive, and lends them an immediate other-worldly impression. I've noticed that all other birds (including gulls and ospreys) seem to give herons a wide berth. I recently had the amazing good fortune to watch them feed their nested young (a total first for me) - it looked exactly like I'd imagine a bunfight between pterodactyls.

Herons certainly look majestic in flight, and are very shy - trying to move out of line of sight even when you may be at some distance. Not so long ago I was highly amused when my local heron (usually resident in a tree by the village ponds) was fishing in a nearby stream. It saw me on a footpath a good 40 meters off, and hid behind a tree, trying to keep the tree between it and me as I walked along.

A straying white stork might fit the bill (no pun intended.)

They are rarely sighted in the UK, 4 feet long and with a seven-foot wingspan. They also like rooftops, chimneys etc. for nesting purposes.

df58c5915406d0fa317e901e97d1a69b.jpg

maximus otter

Very interesting - I wonder if some day a lost contemporary picture might emerge of this mystery bird?

I've seen some truly-massive herons, at times. Their size can be very difficult to estimate without proper references.

Interestingly, herons seem (certainly within Scotland) normally to keep well-away from urban & industrial skies, restricting themselves to flights above rivers and protected coastal areas. This gives them something of a localised rarity, if they then do a cross-over into towns.

Some have a blue-grey colouration that makes them almost look like flying shadows, even in full sunlight. Their effortless movement through the air is really impressive, and lends them an immediate other-worldly impression. I've noticed that all other birds (including gulls and ospreys) seem to give herons a wide berth. I recently had the amazing good fortune to watch them feed their nested young (a total first for me) - it looked exactly like I'd imagine a bunfight between pterodactyls.
As i mentioned in another thread, i had a heron land in my urban garden, its seen quite often apparently, perched on house roofs on the estate, storks are quite famous for nesting on tall chimneys.

I get the occasional one passing Bigphoot Towers on its way from the beach to a local nature reserve. Most people don't even notice them flying overhead, the ones that do either say "ooh a heron" or "WTF IS THAT?!"
10906115_777418142340176_6999923819137302806_n.jpg

What ever it was I bet it did a bit of coughing Ratcliffe in those days was murky to say the least,
the river being so polluted if you fell in it was a stomach pumping job.
I understand why it would go to Elton Res, that was a cannel feeder still is and it's always been
reasonably clean so it's likely it was a fish eater though herons will happily eat anything they
can get down their neck.
a

Back