• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Nameless Dread

That's that settled then. :chuckle:

'The Nameless Dread' would make a good title for a Lovecraft short story.

It's the sort of title he and his imitators would have come up with, I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one story with that name, google yielded nothing when I looked. At least one Metal band has a song with the title.

Apparently it's a term in psychoanalysis:

https://phmuseum.com/projects/the-nameless-dread

Always a bit of a copout, calling something 'The Nameless ---'.

Surely you could think of something to call it...

OK, I rapidly got bored with the video, although I loved the idea of the "monster's mouth full of shark like jaws." (sic) Unfortunately, the presentation style is somewhat cliched, long on atmosphere and short on facts.

It is hardly surprising that if someone believed they had seen an enormous monster that couldn't possibly exist according to our known laws, they would remain frightened, confused, preoccupied, and in a state of dread for a long time after.

The dread is a reaction to the disjunct between the perceived experience and the received wisdom of what may possibly exist.

The perceived experience does not necessarily arise from an actual experience of seeing such a monster. We are all familiar with numerous reasons why someone can mistakenly believe that they saw something.

Always a bit of a copout, calling something 'The Nameless ---'.

Surely you could think of something to call it...
The Lovecraftian Paradox: if enough people call something "The Nameless X" then it's name must be "The Nameless X". Dread: thy name is Nameless.

Back