• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Newby Church Ghost Photograph (AKA: *That* Ghost Photo)

It's probably been mentioned over the preceding 5 pages of thread, but the cloth 'mask with eyeholes cut out do seem to = fake, to me!

AFAIK even pre-reformation monks with disfigured faces weren't made to wear cloth masks - and even if they had, would a ghost 'choose' to carry on doing so?

It's one of those famous spooky photos that, even as a child, I thought, "Nah, that's not real!"
Yup, 's'a pillowcase innit.

It's only in the last few months that I read that the photo was published in a magazine after it had been purloined from the photographer who was apparently very upset that this had happened. ISTR he didn't want any publicity regarding the snap.
Whose word do we have for that though?

Reminds me of a 'ghost' photo we were shown at the Weird Weekend in the spring, featuring an obviously faked image of a woman looking suspiciously similar to a snap of bridesmaid taken in the Philippines or somewhere.

The story went that the person who took it on their phone hadn't noticed the ghost and certainly wasn't capable of faking one.
It was only spotted after being sent from person to person for some time.

That's an unremarkable, rather pointless photo of a canal bridge that went around for a while before someone suddenly noticed the ghost. I'm still shaking my head. :doh:

It's that old chain of custody conundrum. Helps a lot with ghost photos.

Back